Nova Scotia info

brw123

Forum Ride Along
Hello all,

New to the forum,

Looking for paramedics that live and work in Nova Scotia that could give me some information on the job market, schooling, etc.

Thank you!

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
OP
OP
B

brw123

Forum Ride Along
No I'm not currently a medic.

I live in Elmsdale, what parts are you from?

I actually tryed to pm you but it said I needed a 5 post count to send one.

If you could on me your email, I wouldn't mind picking your brain,
If you don't mind answering a few questions

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Both Medavie and Holland College have Paramedic programs. Medavie has one in Dartmouth which is within commuting distance to you. Their websites will tell you their requirements. Not all courses start in Sept. So apply early.

New medics start as casuals at about $21.00/hr. Casuals that are actually willing to work and travel 1 hr - 1 hr 20min or so for a shift do not have any trouble getting 84 hr bi-weekly paychecks. Almost all shifts are 12 hrs.

If you have specific questions ask.

OP
OP
B

brw123

Forum Ride Along
Do you know if EHS allows ride alongs in NS? Or do you have to speak with individual departments about that sort of thing?

** I e-mailed EHS, but never received a response **

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
The ambulances here are run by a company called EMC Inc. Under a sole source contract with the NS Dept of Health (EHS). EMC will not allow a ride along unless you are accepted by a paramedic program, or are a first responder (MFR)n or an allied health worker (nurse).
The best thing is to apply to a school and once accepted the apply for a ride.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
The ambulances here are run by a company called EMC Inc. Under a sole source contract with the NS Dept of Health (EHS). EMC will not allow a ride along unless you are accepted by a paramedic program, or are a first responder (MFR) or an allied health worker (nurse etc).
The best thing is to apply to a school and once accepted the apply for a ride.
You could also see which local FD provide MFR services and apply to join them while you wait to go to medic school.