• No

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
With the 100% directionless thread going on it got me thinking on why we don't have a Non-EMS section where we can post stuff that is not related to EMS such as music, movies, sports, and other random stuff. I understand that this is a EMS forum but we are all normal people (well most of us) and like to talk about other things non-EMS related. Anyways just a thought I had.

Levinoss

Forum Crew Member
With the 100% directionless thread going on it got me thinking on why we don't have a Non-EMS section where we can post stuff that is not related to EMS such as music, movies, sports, and other random stuff. I understand that this is a EMS forum but we are all normal people (well most of us) and like to talk about other things non-EMS related. Anyways just a thought I had.

You mean a GAT- General Any Topic forum?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
This is where EMS forums start to drop off memberships and posts. There are tons of other forums for anything... go there.

Personally, if I want a non-sense, non related EMS forum, I will choose among the other thousands. Until then, let's keep it at least close to EMS related.

R/r 911

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i think this thread needs a poll.

im all for on general discussion sub board. i dont think it will be the death of emtlife.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
The banner for this site states: "The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion."

Let's not make it the "#1 Online Forum for Useless Crap."

Leave that for the Live Chat.

Sasha

Forum Chief
This is where EMS forums start to drop off memberships and posts. There are tons of other forums for anything... go there.

Personally, if I want a non-sense, non related EMS forum, I will choose among the other thousands. Until then, let's keep it at least close to EMS related.

R/r 911

One section wont take over the board and make it a non-EMS forum.

rchristi

Forum Crew Member
I would prefer that this forum remain dedicated to serious discussion about the important topics and issues of EMS. Medicine is evolving and EMS needs to make purposeful changes to avoid becoming a dinosaur. I vote to stay on topic.

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
I say leave things as is. I thought this sort of thing is what we have the Lounge for. At least that's how I saw the Lounge was, general discussion. Our non-ems threads are doing well at staying in that section. If we add a GAT section then it will be two general discuss-all sections.

If I am wrong, and EMS lounge wasn't meant to include non-ems topics then it conflicts with EMS-Talk by having two "General" EMS sections

Just my $0.02

Keep the ideas coming though

Last edited by a moderator:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
*****Warning, anyone who prefers not to take part in logical though processes, stop reading here*****

heres a thought: a field test.

put up a general discussion sub board. leave it in place(with the usual rules and moderation etc) for one month. if, at the end of that month, we havent de-evolved into the dark seekers from "I am Legend" or something then it gets to stay and if its a playground free for all with constant disciplinary problems then it goes away. sounds pretty simple and logical. i would say that the astounding popularity of the directionless thread is a testament to how this board could benefit from an unscripted section.

Levinoss

Forum Crew Member
*****Warning, anyone who prefers not to take part in logical though processes, stop reading here*****

heres a thought: a field test.

put up a general discussion sub board. leave it in place(with the usual rules and moderation etc) for one month. if, at the end of that month, we havent de-evolved into the dark seekers from "I am Legend" or something then it gets to stay and if its a playground free for all with constant disciplinary problems then it goes away. sounds pretty simple and logical. i would say that the astounding popularity of the directionless thread is a testament to how this board could benefit from an unscripted section.

Quoted for emphasis ^---

As long as it's moderated and it's not a free for all for spamming then I doubt it will hurt the forum.

Vonny

Forum Crew Member
General topics board

I am very new here.
I lurked for a long time in the fringes of the forum and then decided that this was a serious ems board worth joining. I do not wish to sound exclusive but once you open the doors to non ems topics then you are up against the dilemma of where to draw the line.
I figured the line was already drawn here and felt comfortable with this.

I am Irish, all for democratic rights. but I know that when you seek to join certain groups you are agreeing that you agree with the bylaws and this may mean that your own wishes may not be catered for. I can not join the boy scouts as I am not a boy for example.

That is fine with me.

On the other hand we are a caring profession, weather we are Vol or Career EMS we all know that Critical Stress is a big factor in our line of work and we all deal with this in different ways.

Some with humour some with hashing it out in the scenarios thread, but there are some people who would like to talk about what is on their minds with their peers in a relativly anonimous atmosphere and perhaps a General topics board would be the place to do it. As long as people are polite and respectful and a moderator pays attention to the posts and can decide what is acceptable then maybe a sub board would be acceptable.

As you can probably tell I am sitting on the fence about this. I see this forum as edcation and entertainment and any post that can advance either aspect would be helpful to me .
Now I would suggest if this was going to be created that it be limited to posts from members that have a certain amount of posts already on the other boards, the same way new members are not permitted to post on some of the forums boards until the achieve a goal of posts. This would give members a feel for the posters and an understanding of where they are coming from over time.

So thats my two pennys worth

Nollaig Shona Duit
Happy Christmas to you

Vonny

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Now I would suggest if this was going to be created that it be limited to posts from members that have a certain amount of posts already on the other boards, the same way new members are not permitted to post on some of the forums boards until the achieve a goal of posts.

bloody marvelous suggestion. im actually angry at myself for not think of it myself.

Vonny

Forum Crew Member
oops

I see that I spelled education wrong!!! some teacher I am...
I must have gone to the wrong shcool lol....

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I am a member of many online communities, but I come to EMTLife to take about EMS. There are a million other places (online forums, chats, instant messengers) where you can tell another member your inner-most thoughts, but I like the idea that EMTLife is focused on EMS. If you want you can always take it to the chat... lots of off-topic discussion in there.

Sasha

Forum Chief
bloody marvelous suggestion. im actually angry at myself for not think of it myself.

Get off the juice and you can think of good ideas too.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
When I first entered or posted here, the posts were quite different. It was mainly social and the most medical discussion was the color of the light on your p.o.v. or the type of boot was the most durable. In fact, I remember receiving i.m.'s that said or inferred that they were at least not happy that I was changing the tone of the forum.

I remember discussing with some of current active posters at the time (I knew from other EMS forums) about the dilemma and was told that I should probably drop this forum as it was mainly composed of volunteers and those that were not truly interested in medicine itself. I know I have raised more than one temper demanding proof or links to studies for more than anecdotal posts. Also demanding a little clarification of spelling and general posting.

I like this site because it develops more dedication to the area of patient care than other EMS forums. It has been referred to be more accurate and active about EMS than other competing forums. It is true, some other EMS forums may have more hits/posts but look at the content(s). The main content or emphasis have been lost .... patient care.

I have been active and modulators on other EMS forums. I can attest when opening and attracting threads about anything and everything but EMS, you will make a sacrifice and attract everybody other than EMS. You will then loose those who are looking for nothing but EMS. I know of many that although do not post, yet they read the forums for information. Some are working medics and some are students.

The majority of those that first enter are usually EMT students or experienced medics. Part of the consistency that they are aware of that they will be treated nicely (if they respond nicely), advice or suggestions that are given come from sound educated, experienced providers or references. It is nice to find a place to not to promote social activities, dating services, whackerism. We can respect each other as a peer and person. As one person told me, its kinda nice place to read .. "What is going on in EMS" or "answer a question, that I had also"....

What ever the decision maybe, remember the emphasis of the site. Let's try to keep that in mind.

R/r 911

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
well id say that since the chief has spoken, issues closed.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
When I thought of this idea I had no intention of "taking away" from the EMS forum. Obviously this is about EMS discussion and it should stay on focus with that. It seems like everyone gets along with each here pretty well. We all have the common knowledge of what we go through each day that others might not by not being in EMS. I figured having a general discussion area would only enhance the site. Sure if I wanted to go BS with others about random stuff there are plenty of other forums but I rather BS with you guys being in EMS because we all have that in common, make sense? Also the chat area is a great place for general discussion but I work from 2300-0700 and no one is hardly in the chat at that time.