No Work Experience

mrenee14

Forum Ride Along
I finally got certified and cleared for LA county. I'm looking for an emt job but every job I have come across requires a year of experience and/or a license to drive the ambulance.

Does anyone have any adivce? :sad::sad:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Apply and follow up. Same thing as getting any other job. Don't be picky, once you have that experience you can be more selective. Until then take what you can get.

Good luck.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
From the millions of California posts I assume an ambulance drivers license is required for all jobs.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, an ADL is pretty much required everywhere. But it's also pretty easy to get. Where are you looking at that requires a year of experience? I got hired on by a 911 service in LA County with ~9-10 months IFT experience. The other person who tested with me got hired on straight out of EMT school with no other experience. Heck if you're holding out on getting an ADL because you don't want to drive the ambulance, at my service everyone starts out as an attendant only, you have to test into being a driver later (thats if you want to drive though)

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Go apply, and if you can ask about what the company's policy is and if there are any suggestions, or the ways their current employees have tended to get their prereqs in.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I have applied and gotten jobs without meeting the "experience" requirements that were advertised.

Don't let it keep you from applying.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Yes, an ADL is pretty much required everywhere. But it's also pretty easy to get. Where are you looking at that requires a year of experience? I got hired on by a 911 service in LA County with ~9-10 months IFT experience. The other person who tested with me got hired on straight out of EMT school with no other experience. Heck if you're holding out on getting an ADL because you don't want to drive the ambulance, at my service everyone starts out as an attendant only, you have to test into being a driver later (thats if you want to drive though)

I'd personally do that as fast as possible rather than attending every single call. Just me though.

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
Heck if you're holding out on getting an ADL because you don't want to drive the ambulance, at my service everyone starts out as an attendant only, you have to test into being a driver later (thats if you want to drive though)

Where do you work?? Do you have to pass EVOC there too?