Nj-emt

Hepinghand

Forum Probie
Not sure how many are from the state of nj but i have been hearing that the emt class is going to be 280hrs. On top of that I also heard that a class in anatomy and physiology.I am hearing it will start next year but i think it maybe a pilot course to see how it will work and also I am hearing that nj is working on an advance emt course.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
advanced emt as in Paramedic?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I haven't heard any of that.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
Not sure how many are from the state of nj but i have been hearing that the emt class is going to be 280hrs. On top of that I also heard that a class in anatomy and physiology.I am hearing it will start next year but i think it maybe a pilot course to see how it will work and also I am hearing that nj is working on an advance emt course.

I hope its true as it sounds like a step in the right direction. There has been a push for awhile for some EMTs to use supraglottic devices, albuterol, glucometry, prounounce people dead, and even do field spinal clearance. The only way to do that is increase training standards. I don't know if 280 is enough, but I'm stoked to hear about a possible A&P requirement.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
never gonna happen.

the national scope of practice is pushing for the increase, and some of my sources do say that the length will increase, but it's not going to go to 280 hours.

there are too many paid providers who will fight the need to additional training (we do this day in and day out, and don't need any more formal training) and too many volunteers who will fight the need for additional training (we do this once a week, we don't have the time for more formal training).

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
never gonna happen.

the national scope of practice is pushing for the increase, and some of my sources do say that the length will increase, but it's not going to go to 280 hours.

there are too many paid providers who will fight the need to additional training (we do this day in and day out, and don't need any more formal training) and too many volunteers who will fight the need for additional training (we do this once a week, we don't have the time for more formal training).

Sad to think that one thing career and volly EMTs can hold hands over is stymying the improvement and advancement of EMT education (and thus EMS as a whole). As usual, EMS will continue to be its own worst enemy.

jedi88

Forum Crew Member
I called the NJ OEMS office and they told me that they are not intending on adding the Advanced EMT level or making any changes to the scope of practice.

njSpade

Forum Ride Along
I'm looking to start a B class in January, most look to be around 200ish to 220 hours. People I've spoken with say there will be more time dedicated to hands on training? I think that is speculation. But I don't think the revamp will change the scope of practice, at least not in the near term. My perspective is still an external one, but I would think that until all of the current EMTs recert with new curriculum standards the general knowledge base at the EMT-B level wouldn't be uniform enough to justify a greater scope of practice.

jedi88

Forum Crew Member
Hey! I took a CEU class this weekend and the instructors said they are changing the EMT-B class to 240 hours. I saw that Rutgers is starting to offer a class of that length as well soon. I don't think they really understand why the classes are being extended or what the additional material is.