Nj emt or ny emt

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
if you get your NY EMT, you can work in NJ (with a NY patch). if you get a NJ you can work in NY (but you need to apply for reciprocity to get a NY card)

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
if you get your NY EMT, you can work in NJ (with a NY patch). if you get a NJ you can work in NY (but you need to apply for reciprocity to get a NY card)

This was changed recently (maybe 2012). To work in NJ, you are now required to have the NJ card. Regardless, reciprocity between NY & NJ is one of the easier ones to handle.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Get both.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Both are required to meet or exceed the DOT standards. So it'll all depend on which program you go through

firecoins

IFT Puppet
They are both easy. Easier is subjective. I took the NY one and easily passed. NJ is just as easy.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Why such concern with which is easier. The easy way is not necessarily what will serve you best, and laziness will certainly hold you back in this field. Reading the above posts, sounds to me like getting both would be your best bet. If you're having trouble passing the *minimum* competency tests for each state respectively, it may be a good time to rethink your pursuit of a career in EMS.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
This was changed recently (maybe 2012). To work in NJ, you are now required to have the NJ card. Regardless, reciprocity between NY & NJ is one of the easier ones to handle.

Actually not true. NREMT and certain out of state certs are still currently accepted at face value.

alarmsactivated

Forum Ride Along
Why such concern with which is easier. The easy way is not necessarily what will serve you best, and laziness will certainly hold you back in this field.

This.

It isn't the right field to take the easy way out. You might be lucky and deal with mostly stable patients, but every time you have a critical pt, you'll be glad you didn't take the easy way out. I've worked with basics who went out of their way to take "easy classes with easy instructors" and they did themselves and their patients a disservice.

EMT4EVA

Forum Probie
I've heard that NJ is easier, but I suppose it's all just a matter of opinion. Of course, easier isn't always better. :)