next step to California state license?

CaLiEMT

Forum Ride Along
hello i recently passed my national exam for EMTB. I still need to get my state license before i can start looking for work.Is this right? Who do I contact? Please help.Thank you

OP
OP
C

CaLiEMT

Forum Ride Along
i heard it takes a long time to register in la county is this true? can i register in kern county? if i do can i work in la county or different county?

JPINFV

Gadfly
I know you used to be able to do that, but I'm not sure if you can anymore. A few years ago, the state was taking a lot of flack because a few counties didn't require background checks so people with criminal histories were going to those states to become certified. In one example, a San Diego county EMT was certified by Kern County.

However, even if it still works that way, you will probably still need to fullfill the 'expanded scope of practice' training mandated by LA County to work in LA County. Unfortunately, I don't have any information about the local SOP certification.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
JPINFV,

To pay some of the expenses of Med school or to have a little extra spending money, why not set up a California "get a cert" help line and charge for all the free advice you provide? Or, get the moderators to dedicate a California section titled "Ask JPINFV".

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
So, each of California's 58 counties has it's own EMS agency that handles licensing, and scope of practice varies by county? That's a heck of a way to run a railroad.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
So, each of California's 58 counties has it's own EMS agency that handles licensing, and scope of practice varies by county? That's a heck of a way to run a railroad.

Basiclly, ya... With one difference: Although we have 58 counties, there are "only" 31 EMSA's due to the fact that some counties that are geographically alligned "banded" together and work under one EMSA and one set of protocols. For instance, locally for me there are 5 counties that operate under the oversight of Mountain Valley EMSA. There use to be 6 counties in that EMSA, but my county pulled out over 10 years ago and formed a seperate EMSA that operates only in this county. But, yes, EMT Certification, scope of practice guidlines, and protocols vary from county to county (generally speaking) since most counties operate their own EMSA; which sucks when, for instance, you have worked in one county for years, have a cert from that county, and know the local protocols inside and out... and then go to work in another county and not only do you have to learn their protocols, but you might have to recertify in that county and now carry two cards (as was the case with me). So, yes... it is one heck of a way to run a train wreck... No unity and no singular "right" way.

Last edited by a moderator: