Newbie CA EMT Trainee Needs Assistance

cynai42

Forum Ride Along
Hi Folks, I just moved to Chico, CA and I'm looking to get my EMT-I certification. (Yes I know that means that I'll basically be a paramedic chauffer for a while, but ya gotta start somewhere. :) Can anyone from the area advise me about what classes I need to take, where I can take them, and any other tidbits that will help me out?

A little info about myself, I'm coming from the software industry; I worked for a company that made patient documentation software, and I discovered that I was more interested in the medical side than in my own job. I got to go on two R & D-related ride alongs and was absolutely in love with the job.

Thanks for giving my little postie a read, and in advance for any advisements you have. Be safe out there, Lori

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
Well you should first start by getting an EMT-B license.

I assume that you're not an EMT-B?

You then might have to work as an EMT-B for a certain amount of time.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Welcome to EMS! I hope you learn to love it as much as we do. Feel free to ask us anything.

OP
OP
C

cynai42

Forum Ride Along
Textbook

Any suggestions on a good textbook to start studying? Let me know what you liked/didn't like about it/them. My county uses the National Registry EMT Basic exam for the cert, so any books designed for that would be best. Thanks Again!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Okay... I'll get in before Rid.... Medical Terminology and basic Anatomy and Physiology.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Okay... I'll get in before Rid.... Medical Terminology and basic Anatomy and Physiology.

VERY important to know but not needed for EMT-Basic or Intermediate. If we lived in an ideal world they would be pre-reqs and we'd be paid $10/hr more.

lipglossed

Forum Crew Member
In my EMT-B class there was a quick overview of A&P and Medical Terminology, but not in depth. I think we spent MAYBE 4 hours on it? We used the Prentice Hall / Limmer book, 10th edition, and I really liked it.

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
You can usually get away with being an EMT-B by not really learning medical terminology or anything about the anatomy. You can just be one of those people who scoop and screw.

There is a different kind of EMT-B, mostly those who wish to someday go to medic school, nursing school, or even med school. This is the kind of EMT that takes it to the next level and really learns the anatomy and medical terminology. It's not necessary, especially in an urban environment when you don't really have time to treat patients with hospitals so close.

The EMT-B can either be a glorified taxi driver or a medical professional, you can make the choice (assuming you know enough medical things to pass the exams at least)

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Well you should first start by getting an EMT-B license.

I assume that you're not an EMT-B?

You then might have to work as an EMT-B for a certain amount of time.

Yes, EMT-B.

California is the stupid state that calls the EMT-B the EMT-I and the EMT-I the EMT-II.

And everything is on a county-by-county basis.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
In my EMT-B class there was a quick overview of A&P and Medical Terminology, but not in depth. I think we spent MAYBE 4 hours on it? We used the Prentice Hall / Limmer book, 10th edition, and I really liked it.

I also reccomend this book. It is called Brady Emergency Care. I also took Mosby's EMT Basic Textbook out of the library to study-- it is also a solid study guide...
Good luck with your career change, its exciting that you are so interested in EMS.