New to the forum, Start my EMT-B class tonight

MIkePrekopa

Forum Crew Member
So I am new to the forum and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Mike, and I live in Scranton, Pa. I start my EMT-B class tonight. I originally wanted to be an electrician, but figure EMT will "guarantee" me a job in the future, and by guarantee I me it should be easier than something in construction should the economy not pick up.

I found the forum through looking for jokes (and found a lot of good ones). I have already picked up some good tips.

Any words of advice for a new student ? B)

medic417

The Truth Provider
Welcome. Never stop learning. As soon as you finish basic go straight for your Paramedic. You may still want to consider learning another skill such as construction as EMS pay is very low. Also it is not definite. With the economy many services have laid off or cut hours.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
First, welcome! Good luck in your class. I just finished mine and it was a dilly. However, you'll be just fine as long as you study, take good notes, study, ask questions, study, do the homework (!) and study. Really, as long as you pay attention in class and read you'll be fine. Enjoy your rides and use those as opportunities to ask lots of questions of your preceptors.

Don't be surprised if you don't land a job as soon as you have your class over with and you pass your certs. I just landed one (only took me about two weeks after I got my cert) but I know of a couple of others who took it with me (and did really well) that haven't gotten anything yet. It may take some time so be prepared for that.

I also highly suggest going for medic ASAP. It didn't work out for me to go this Fall but I would have if I were able. Next fall, I'm going but I would have gone ahead and done it now if I could have. Some places do it over two years, some do it over one year (including summer) so you may have options.

Good luck! If we can answer any questions for you please feel free to ask. All of us were students at one point so we can relate.

Jon

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey Mike. I'm starting for fall as well. I heard electricians pay extremely well. Better then EMT from what I understand. Might not want to toss it aside completely. ;)

Sparky79

Forum Crew Member
I am an Electrician full time and a part time (paid on-call) firefighter/EMT-B. I know Paramedics that make the same money I do, the only difference is I work 40 hrs/week and they work 80! As an electrician you can work for yourself which is nice and allows you a flexible schedule to do whatever else you want (like part time fire/ems), while still making a very decent wage.

Of course one big plus is you can become an emt after taking a 150 hr +/- class and passing a relatively easy test. The requirements to become a licensed electrician vary from state to state but, for example, in my home state of Massachusetts you need 8000 hrs of documented experience working as an apprentice under the direct supervision of a licensed journeyman electrician and you need 600 hrs of schooling through a state approved program just to be able to apply for the exam. As an electrical apprentice you definitely start out doing grunt work and have to work your way up the scale, but, IMO, it's worth it.

My point of all this, there is no reason you couldn't do both. You can make the same money as an electrician working half the hours you would need to work as a Paramedic (not a basic, that would be more like 4 to 1), and then work part time as an emt for a little extra money.

artman17847

Forum Crew Member
Welcome to the the forums mike. Nice to see another provider on here from my neck of the woods. Good luck with your class!

Achromatic

Forum Lieutenant
I start training next week in Olympia WA... definite stepping stone (I figure 6mo-1y experience to 'be sure', though I'm pretty confident) to EMT-P. Should be interesting, first time back "in school" in over 10 years. :D

OP
OP
M

MIkePrekopa

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the warm greeting :D

I haven't entirely given up on construction. but like it was said, you can be an EMT-B after 110 hrs (here at least). My class runs to the end of December. well the beginning, but at the end of Dec. I take all the tests, local and state. I plan on taking National assuming I pass local and state.:p That puts me looking for a job around the beginning of Jan.

My mom works in the local ER, and said the local companies are always looking for EMT's. Not 100% that I will be hired, but I don't think I will be looking for work for too long. It's a job till I can get on my feet, and its a job thats everywhere.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I start training next week in Olympia WA... definite stepping stone (I figure 6mo-1y experience to 'be sure', though I'm pretty confident) to EMT-P. Should be interesting, first time back "in school" in over 10 years. :D

Hello there Olympia! I'm in Lakewood. When do your classes end? Ours are over in November.

Thanks for the warm greeting :D

I haven't entirely given up on construction. but like it was said, you can be an EMT-B after 110 hrs (here at least). My class runs to the end of December. well the beginning, but at the end of Dec. I take all the tests, local and state. I plan on taking National assuming I pass local and state.:p That puts me looking for a job around the beginning of Jan.

My mom works in the local ER, and said the local companies are always looking for EMT's. Not 100% that I will be hired, but I don't think I will be looking for work for too long. It's a job till I can get on my feet, and its a job thats everywhere.

At least knowing the jobs are there is strongly encouraging. And you're absolutely right, nationwide job with a skill that will never hurt you to have.