New to the forum, just introducing myself.

InNoViSiOn

Forum Crew Member
Hey folks,

Just taking the time to introduce myself here. I'm 23 M and live in CA and am currently a college student who will be taking the EMT-B college course next semester. I figured this would be the best way to get my feet wet in the medical industry. I'm not quiet sure exactly where I want to go once I receive my certification. Firefighter paramedic seems like a solid career, but I know I have to get experience in the field as a EMT first. The reason I'm taking the course is because I simply want to help people and have a meaningful career where I can make a difference in the world. I've been in the national guard for 4 years now as a light infantryman and have 2 years left in. To be honest, I've lost all motivation being in the guard and have no interest in extending at all. I originally joined to help people as well but it's kind of counterproductive having a combat MOS. If I can help people by saving their lives directly, rather than saving lives indirectly by taking other peoples lives, I feel like I would have a much better sense of accomplishment in life and would be able to sleep better. I feel a little late to the game being 23 and just starting to read up on medical terminology, but better late than never right? Regardless of what happens to me career wise in the future, the medical knowledge I'm going to learn is invaluable and I'm excited to start learning. Anyway, If anyone has any advice on where to start reading, career opportunities, or anything else, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! :beerchug:

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Hey man,
I was also 11B (active and guard). Use your post 9/11 gi bill benefits to the max. Seriously, ride that gravy train. You get %100 of your tuition paid for plus BAH at an E-5 rate for the entire time you complete school. They pay up to a bachelors so I recommend you milk it dry.

To find out if being an EMT is for you, call your local ambulance company/agency. See if you can schedule some time for a ride a long, that is what I did. If you find you like it, take your EMT training then consider Paramedic. But I can't over state the fact you should use that post 9/11 gi bill. they will even pay for you to go to school overseas and give you international e-5 BAH.

OP
OP
I

InNoViSiOn

Forum Crew Member
Hey man,
I was also 11B (active and guard). Use your post 9/11 gi bill benefits to the max. Seriously, ride that gravy train. You get %100 of your tuition paid for plus BAH at an E-5 rate for the entire time you complete school. They pay up to a bachelors so I recommend you milk it dry.

To find out if being an EMT is for you, call your local ambulance company/agency. See if you can schedule some time for a ride a long, that is what I did. If you find you like it, take your EMT training then consider Paramedic. But I can't over state the fact you should use that post 9/11 gi bill. they will even pay for you to go to school overseas and give you international e-5 BAH.

Well, I have no active time over seas or anything. My unit had just gotten back from Iraq when I got in. I am using my Montgomery GI bill (which is very little) and am going to get tuition assistance next semester (I gotta talk to my readiness NCO about that next drill). But yeah, I'm milking it for what it's worth. That's a good idea about the ride along, I think I'm going to do that. I skimmed through the syllabus for my EMT-B course that starts mid january and it says I have 2 mandatory ride a longs and 2 hospital stays, but I have about a month in between semesters and will try to do that before I start the class. Also, Do you know if I would be able to reclass 68W once I'm EMT-B certified without having to go through army MOSQ course? I'm tired of all the politics in my unit and all the BS in the field every month with crappy training.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Oh ya, you need active duty time for the 9/11 gi bill.

EMT-B will not allow you to change your MOS, you will need Paramedic for that. I was an EMT-B in the guard after active duty, with an NREMT-B and a state EMT-I, they looked into it and said I could not change my MOS with out a P card.

But ya, call the local ambulance agency ask for a ride a long. You can try the same with the fire department also. If you get %100 tuition while in the guard, don't waste time, start early on EMT and Paramedic training if you find its something you like.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
You're not getting into the game late. I'm starting paramedic school next month and I'm 35. I'm sure there are others here who have started even later. I know nothing about the military and the GI Bill but definitely take full advantage of it, you earned it. Kudos to you for recognizing that the military isn't for you. You'll learn a lot on here as I have.
Good luck.

OP
OP
I

InNoViSiOn

Forum Crew Member
You're not getting into the game late. I'm starting paramedic school next month and I'm 35. I'm sure there are others here who have started even later. I know nothing about the military and the GI Bill but definitely take full advantage of it, you earned it. Kudos to you for recognizing that the military isn't for you. You'll learn a lot on here as I have.
Good luck.

Yeah I know I'm not old, it's just all my friends I grew up with already have their degree in their profession and I feel like I'm just starting haha. Oh well. It's not that the military isn't for me, It's just what has become of the military industrial complex and my ideals have changed. Give me something worth fighting for and I'll be the first one there. This forum looks good, that's why I joined here. Will be learning and maybe eventually contributing to the wealth of knowledge

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
I

InNoViSiOn

Forum Crew Member
Oh ya, you need active duty time for the 9/11 gi bill.

EMT-B will not allow you to change your MOS, you will need Paramedic for that. I was an EMT-B in the guard after active duty, with an NREMT-B and a state EMT-I, they looked into it and said I could not change my MOS with out a P card.

But ya, call the local ambulance agency ask for a ride a long. You can try the same with the fire department also. If you get %100 tuition while in the guard, don't waste time, start early on EMT and Paramedic training if you find its something you like.

Thanks a lot. There's a ambulance company across the street from me, I'm going to go in next week after finals and ask. Too bad on the 68W... I know 68W is EMT-B certified when they graduate AIT, so I figured I would be able to reclass but I guess not. Ah well, still good to learn.

OP
OP
I

InNoViSiOn

Forum Crew Member
I have some questions if anyone can help.

First off, Is it normal for me to have to pay for my own background check for my EMT-B class?

Am I able to post my specific books I am going to use to get feedback?

Another thing. This may be tricky. But my license is suspended for minor traffic violations(running red light and unsafe pass on right on motorcycle). I owe a few thousand dollars and plan on fixing that before I complete my class in May and look for employment. But, I hear there is ER room tech positions available in the hospitals that does not require a drivers license. Regardless, I need to take care of it. But for experience what is better? Being a ambulance driver or ER room tech?

Also for employment. How will my license being suspended and me having just renewed it affect my chance for employment for the ambulance?

Anything else specific to CA and being in EMS field?