New to forum, question about nyc paramedic training

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Mark, I'm an active 68W who literally just got out last month and a paramedic. You won't be happy at all as an EMT-B or -I or -A or whatever- work will literally be like that picture. You have been trained to paramedic standards on trauma care by the military and are obviously intelligent enough to know and have learned that there's a "why" to this entire medicine bit (and that's really, really rare. The other 5 68Ws I got out with are all trying to land EMT-B/FF jobs across the nation and really don't have much hope).

You're really close to a BSN- get it, dude! Hell, it's faster for you to get the BSN and work down to challenge the paramedic test than it is for you to get into and finish paramedic school. NYMedic is right on here.

That being said, have you considered moving? Plenty of opportunities for RNs, Paramedics out there, having both is invaluable.

OP
OP
MARKC0311

MARKC0311

Forum Probie
Mark, I'm an active 68W who literally just got out last month and a paramedic. You won't be happy at all as an EMT-B or -I or -A or whatever- work will literally be like that picture. You have been trained to paramedic standards on trauma care by the military and are obviously intelligent enough to know and have learned that there's a "why" to this entire medicine bit (and that's really, really rare. The other 5 68Ws I got out with are all trying to land EMT-B/FF jobs across the nation and really don't have much hope).

You're really close to a BSN- get it, dude! Hell, it's faster for you to get the BSN and work down to challenge the paramedic test than it is for you to get into and finish paramedic school. NYMedic is right on here.

That being said, have you considered moving? Plenty of opportunities for RNs, Paramedics out there, having both is invaluable.

Thanks for the advice brother, and you guys are absolutely right about the education. the truth is, I was planning on getting my MS and CRNA license after my BSN. But honestly I was getting kinda burnt out, and really couldn't see myself changing bed sheets and sitting, stagnant in a hospital all day. So I decided to give EMS a try, IMO there's nothing like experience to teach you a lesson. I have 5 nurses in my family, including my mother, all of whom have been in the field for 30+ years. LOL and when I told them that I was considering EMS, a sigh of relief washed over them. My mothers own words "I really couldn't see you being a nurse, your definitely EMS material". If you knew me, I'm sure you would say the same thing. i mean there's nothing wrong with a little extra education even if it really isn't needed, esp if the V.A is picking up the tab, plus paying me to get it anyway. I have around 26 month left of education usable until 2025 left on my Post 9/11 so in reality, I can work as an EMT-B, go to medic school, finish my BSN (only around 34 more credits), then move onto my MS in either a PA or CRNA program, and most likely still be within my GI Bill range, using the yellow ribbon program of course. Like i said in a past post, i have allot of decision making to do in the near future. But all in all, thank God for the GI Bill otherwise none of this would be possible, and again thanks for the advice!

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for the advice brother, and you guys are absolutely right about the education. the truth is, I was planning on getting my MS and CRNA license after my BSN. But honestly I was getting kinda burnt out, and really couldn't see myself changing bed sheets and sitting, stagnant in a hospital all day. So I decided to give EMS a try, IMO there's nothing like experience to teach you a lesson. I have 5 nurses in my family, including my mother, all of whom have been in the field for 30+ years. LOL and when I told them that I was considering EMS, a sigh of relief washed over them. My mothers own words "I really couldn't see you being a nurse, your definitely EMS material". If you knew me, I'm sure you would say the same thing. i mean there's nothing wrong with a little extra education even if it really isn't needed, esp if the V.A is picking up the tab, plus paying me to get it anyway. I have around 26 month left of education usable until 2025 left on my Post 9/11 so in reality, I can work as an EMT-B, go to medic school, finish my BSN (only around 34 more credits), then move onto my MS in either a PA or CRNA program, and most likely still be within my GI Bill range, using the yellow ribbon program of course. Like i said in a past post, i have allot of decision making to do in the near future. But all in all, thank God for the GI Bill otherwise none of this would be possible, and again thanks for the advice!

You won't be changing bedsheets as a CRNA. Anywhere I've seen CRNAs they basically operate at the same level as the attending anesthesiologist but still under the doctors ultimate supervision.

Same goes for PA and NP.

All the hospitals here in NYc/LI it's rare to see a nurse changing sheets. They all pay ER techs and CNA/PCAs to do it.

OP
OP
MARKC0311

MARKC0311

Forum Probie
You won't be changing bedsheets as a CRNA. Anywhere I've seen CRNAs they basically operate at the same level as the attending anesthesiologist but still under the doctors ultimate supervision.

Same goes for PA and NP.

All the hospitals here in NYc/LI it's rare to see a nurse changing sheets. They all pay ER techs and CNA/PCAs to do it.

Oh that goes without saying brother, but in order to get into the CRNA program at Columbia, you have to have at least one year of acute care experience. And the only other program in NY is all the way up in Buffalo, and they require the same background.

And btw, that one year is a bare minimum, and you need the recommendation of the director of whatever acute care facility/area you are in. Not a big deal, and nothing to really worry about, but you have to be a shining super nova in the field to get accepted.

Last edited by a moderator: