New to EMS got some questions!

CalebCalebson

Forum Ride Along
I've been lurking this site off and on for about 2 years now anyway..

I am 25 and originally from the MS Gulf Coast where I worked as a medical technician for a Durable Medical Equipment company. I basically was a glorified deliver driver.. I delivered and setup equipment in hospitals, nursing homes, hospice patients, and everything else under the sun.. I loved the job, my patients and the fact that every day was this insane adventure. The job had its moments daily too where patients would pass or I was on call and got called out at 3am for a BS calls because their Oxygen Concentrator came unplugged and stopped working (even though they said it was plugged in). I know I haven't seen much compared to what you guys have seen, but I feel it has gave me a thicker skin in preparation for EMS

At any rate me and my wife are going to be moving back closer to home soon probably in the Mobile, AL or Pensacola, FL area.. She is getting another job promotion and I have been a stay at home dad for going on a year now.. We have been talking lately about me finally restarting in a new career, and she really wants me to finally get that EMT-B certification I've always talked about.. I know I have to register for classes at a local community college.

Here are my questions

1) Are there any books I can get right now to start studying before the Fall semester starts that will aide me in the class?

2) How is the job outlook for the Gulf Coast region I mentioned would it be hard for me to land a job as a EMT-B with a company?

3) What are the general shifts for Basic level EMT like, and what can I expect to get paid (I've heard everything from 8$ an hour to 14$ an hour) also how does the Overtime work?

4) What is the general appearance of a EMT look like (I have a lot of tattoo's that can be covered and usually have a beard)

5) Are there any diet or exercises I should do to help me as a EMT (I am runner and do about 5k 5 times a week)?

I think that might be it.

Thank You

Marty Mcfly

Forum Crew Member
You work all kinds of shifts. I dont know about everyone else but we have 8's, 10's, 12's and 14's. Some places make it mandatory to shave facial hair, again depending on where you find a job tattoos may or may not be allowed. My employer doesnt mind as long as theyre not offensive. Stick to your fitness routine, I still cant believe how unhealthy and overweight some of my co-workers are. Pack a lunch and stay healthy. Pay is terrible.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
1) The books that will be most beneficial to you will be a set of good anatomy and physiology books. Perhaps brush up on your basic chemistry as well.

2) Unfortunately, I cannot answer that question for you, but if it's like the rest of the country, the job outlook is dismal.

3) The shift work varies greatly, depending on which type of position you have. Shifts can be anywhere from 8-48+ hours, I personally work 24 hours on with 48 hours off. It's all company dependent.

4) Eh, again, that is going to depend upon the individual company's policies. A lot of companies frown upon tattoos, however, if you are able to cover them up, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

5) Seems like you've got your cardio dialed in, work on just increasing your overall muscle mass.

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
beard is not good. as EMS you will come across sick ppl coughing on you, you want to be able to have your mask get a good seal around your nose and mouth and hair makes that impossible.

stairs. if your area of responsibility have alot of walk up buildings, then work on carrying people down stairs. you might have to carry 250 pounds at your end of the stair chair down many flights...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
beard is not good. as EMS you will come across sick ppl coughing on you, you want to be able to have your mask get a good seal around your nose and mouth and hair makes that impossible.

Not true. You can have properly maintained facial hair that conforms to the wearing of a HEPA mask such as an N-95/99.

You can also put a surgical mask on the patient and take care of most of the issue.

And last but not least, if you let a patient cough on you more than once, you're doing it wrong.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
if you let a patient cough on you more than once, you're doing it wrong.

What he said.

I know plenty of medics with facial hair that go through our annual respirator fit testing without a problem year after year.

I know plenty of firefighters that have facial hair and have absolutely no problem with their SCBA mask fitting and that's one you would notice wasn't working correctly pretty quickly.

It's pretty rare that I get coughed on. I make it pretty clear which direction I want them to cough in before it becomes a problem and I pay attention and am aware of where I am positioned relative to the patient, especially if thy are coughing or puking. I don't want any of the cooties we are around on a daily basis.