New Orleans EMS A&E show! *Video*

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Saw this at some other spot on the interwebs as well, I'm intrigued! I'll give it a chance, unlike most of today's "reality" shows, i get that good old *COPS* feel from it a bit.
That's what I got... Like a COPS/48 Hours mix...

A&E 48 Hours.... Not Eddie Murphy 48 Hours

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Eh....... That was..... Not what I had expected. :(

Why is there a doctor in the ambulance?

Why were no medications given to RSI?

Interesting.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Crappy protocols? The the whole "ER at 70 miles an hour" thing kinda made me vomit.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Yeah. Lots of cliche statements and wayyyyy to much bling on the uniforms.... I dunno. I was really excited for this, but that just left a bad taste in my mouth...

Both my partner and I were like, "why the **** is there a doctor in tennis shoes trying to intubate in the back of an ambulance with no meds?!"

And why did she slap his hand with the full force of ten men trying to get an IV?! LOLz

A lot of, "wait what did she just say?!" And "Is she calling him baby?!"

More questions than answers. I mean.. Chaos is chaos anywhere, but that was a different level of strange to me.

Last edited:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It was pretty Ricky Rescue, but maybe it was just the "hey, we're on TV" thing. I did like the nonchalant EJ in the CHFer.

Angel

Paramedic
you guys are funny. At least its REAL calls and circumstances. Beats the crap out of trauma and the poor attempt at EMS on shows like chicago fire.

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
Still not completely sold for or against it... The nonchalant EJ and use of some of the more worn out cliches were a bit over dramatic, but that could also just be a marketing ploy on A&E's part to rope in the general public who doesn't know any better. As for the Doc in tennis shoes, here in the fine rustbelt city of Buffalo we have the "SMART Team" which is ER Doc's that will respond from hospital to scene in a flycar for major things (such as a shooting) dressed basically the same. What would be really great is if we could find somebody on here who works or has worked in that system and can give some non-tv dramaticised insight into this... the uniform "bling", RSI protocols, etc.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I'm still very willing to give it a try. I like seeing real calls put on TV, even if some aspects are over dramatized and cliched. The doc managing the airway on that GSW looked young and I'm wondering if they don't let them have RSI drugs on their EMS rotations. Weird to me, but perhaps it's part of their training process in intern year or something. They eventually put in a King tube and showed no signs of pushing RSI drugs, so that's my best guess at the moment. It all looks very interesting in any case.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
He also looked pretty unresponsive when that doc had the blade in his mouth.

I'll also be watching. Bling, hype or not... I still love the COPS style shows and an EMS version is gonna be fun.

(We all pick apart TV that shows our profession. My wife was an large animal vet for years. You should hear what she has to say about Dr Pol.)

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I too will join the wagon and be confused by the doc trying to intubate a non-medicated patient that is supposedly biting the tube.

Out of curiosity, do y'all consider a King intubation? The ETT was discarded and traded for what looked like a King, then the EMT said the patient was intubated.

My only beef with the "bling" is the number/size of the patches, specifically the one on the front. I'll give you a patch or a badge on the chest, but not both.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
It was pretty Ricky Rescue, but maybe it was just the "hey, we're on TV" thing. I did like the nonchalant EJ in the CHFer.

It has to be awkward. Watching what you say while at the same time trying to fill the periods of silence with words. On top of that, you're on tv. You're under a microscope. You know people are going to be talking about you on social media and popular internet forums :p picking apart everything you do.

you guys are funny. At least its REAL calls and circumstances. Beats the crap out of trauma and the poor attempt at EMS on shows like chicago fire.

I 100% agree.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm willing to bet that a lot of the conversation is coached by directors, etc. for dramatic purposes; basically, part reality, part docudrama. As for the doc, I have my money on him being an intern there as part of an EMS rotation. 10 points goes to the medic for the EJ, though.

HotDrop89

Forum Ride Along
Lol yes. Love how that guy didn't even look at the patients arms for a good AC, just saw that big pipe in his neck and went right for it :D. He probably also figured he'd show off a bit since he was under the lens.. Good for him and props since he nailed it. I'll definitely DVR it..it looks better than most of the other garbage that's on TV, and it's real calls. Not sure how comfortable I would be with having a film crew on calls though

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I often wish there were a camera crew on my truck. It would be excellent reality TV to see what I see everyday.

#vegasEMS