New/oldby

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
New to this forum
From up north Minnesota. 27 years in EMS still plugging along.
signed on to find information on 800 megahertz radio systems.
We will be implementing this new system this fall and have questions about it.
Haven't searched the past forum yet.

Gregor

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome to the tribe!:)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Welcome to our own little corner of dysfunction.

What are your questions about the 800 MHz radio system?

OP
OP
G

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
We are told that 800 Mhz isn't compatable with paging. How do other services deal with this. We are a small rural department and have to have paging, or something simular.

EMTBandit

Forum Lieutenant
Welcome. Hope you enjoy your stay. :)

Sorry, I just realized I sounded like a bellhop at a hotel lol.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
For those who are on an 800 mhz system and still have paging, they still use their old VHF freq for paging, most often simu-casted on the main dispatch channel of the new system.

Simu-casted meaning transmitting on two channels or systems at the same time.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Around here, we are on a VHF highband frequency for paging, and all dispatches are also announced by the dispatcher on our working frequency. The paging channel is shared by the whole county, while there are 3 working frequencies for the county.

We also have a highband cross-repeat for the working freqency, so that we can monitor the working frequency on our pager's second channel.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We have some interesting geographic features which make our radio transmission a challenge. Both the LEO's and Fire/EMS have difficulty with dead spots. We are currently using repeaters on mountain tops but those are little or no use if we are working a grass fire or MVA in the shadow of the repeater. The county is working on one system that will implement a fiber optic system. Supposed to make everything wonderful. But don't most planned and as yet unimplemented systems promise that?

OP
OP
G

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
So those on a 800 trunk system have to carry a pager and their 2-way?.

Is there a uncomplicated reason that paging isn't available on trunk systems??

I am so very grateful for the input you are giving me

Gregor

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
If they have their 800 with them they will hear the dispatch come across the radio, just as they would if the dispatch freq was on VHF.

Paging is not "available" because 800 mhz trunking pagers are not very common and would be ridiculously expensive.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
When I'm on duty and in the station, or when I'm off duty, I only carry the pager on my person.

When I'm out of the station, on duty (on a call, running errands, cruising the town), I have a portable with me.

My station doesn't issue portables to general members. If I were an officer...I'd be issued a portable and leave it in my vehicle. I don't see any need to carry it 24x7.

Tenn.Vol.FireFighter

Forum Ride Along
Trunking Pagers

I spoke with a CEO of a company that supplies the trunking hardware for companies; Kenwood and Motorola. She stated that there has never been a real demand for trunking pagers, but she thought it should be subjested to Kenwood and Motorola for them to looking in too developing. I would ask you all to contact your communcation reps. in each state and have them demand to have the pagers develop. If we don't ask we will never get it.

Remember supply and demand.

Stay safe.

OP
OP
G

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
I have tried to contact Kenwood and Motorola via their web sites and so far no luck, however i did get feedback from the MN Dept. of Health.
Thank you all for info, it seems my initial thought was right, Its not in demand, therefore not worth the investment.
I am really surprised that Kenwood hasn't developed it yet, as their portables have so many great features. I can page our crew right from my portable(old analog system) then if my portable wouldn't reach a tower i could phone it into the zetron. (Band aid for poor coverage systems)
I just googled Zetron and i will check them out to.

http://http://www.zetron.com/data/site/templates/zetrontemplate.asp?area_0=pages/menus/trunkedradioprod&area_1=pages/products/trunking

Tenn.Vol.FireFighter

Forum Ride Along
Trunking pagers

Sorry I have been in for a while, but I have contacted the company that supplies the hardware to both Kenwood and Motorola and they will push both companys to help develop this pager, they stated they will contact me later this year or I can call the for statis on the develop. Yes I have to brag, so it will not happen, but my department maybe the genie pigs for the project, our truncking system should be up and running in about 2 yr. yes 2 years. SO I hope their trunking pager will be ready by then. The company is
Trident Micro Systems if you want to push it your self. Good luck.

Jason

Last edited by a moderator: