New EMT-B

EHmrtee

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I'm a new EMT thats looking for work. The problem is I'm not sure how to start and my school hasn't helped me much. I have my EMT-B certification, CPR cert, AED Cert, California Ambulance Driver Cert, Medical Examiners Card, and NREMT Card. I'm 19 years old and live in Sacramento, CA. Also have 12 hours in ER and 24 hours ride time (12 hrs & 12 hrs). If someone could help me figure out what I need to do next, that would be fantastic. I feel lost

OP
OP
E

EHmrtee

Forum Ride Along
uhm alright, I believe the next thing I need is my Sacramento County card correct? and to get that I need a live scan.. Does it have to be at a police dept. or is the ups locations ok? and I used to live in Lathrop, ca & the DMV made me get a live scan to get my ambulance driver certificate, do I need to get another one just because I moved to Sacramento?

JPINFV

Gadfly
uhm alright, I believe the next thing I need is my Sacramento County card correct? and to get that I need a live scan.. Does it have to be at a police dept. or is the ups locations ok? and I used to live in Lathrop, ca & the DMV made me get a live scan to get my ambulance driver certificate, do I need to get another one just because I moved to Sacramento?

You need to get another Live Scan because, as of July 1st, a Live Scan is a state requirement for EMT certifications. However, quick clarification. You say you have an EMT-B certification AND a NREMT certification? Where is the first EMT certification from? EMT certifications in California are good in the entire state, both inside and outside the issuing county. However, some counties ("Local EMS Agency") require a local accreditation certification before you're able to work in that county.

OP
OP
E

EHmrtee

Forum Ride Along
yeah I have the NREMT Card and I have a certificate from my school that says that I'm a certified EMT-Basic.

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
yeah I have the NREMT Card and I have a certificate from my school that says that I'm a certified EMT-Basic.

Not the same, that's basically just a piece of paper that holds no value.

Check out the links I provided up there and it will show you what's necessary to get your County card so you can start applying.

JPINFV

Gadfly

You have a NREMT card and a course completion certificate, the latter says nothing except that you completed an EMT-B course.

Not the same, that's basically just a piece of paper that holds no value.

I wouldn't say it holds no value. In fact, I would recommend that everyone keep their course completion certificate until they go to a new level. Both my Orange County EMT cert and Massachusetts cert required evidence of course completion, which was fulfilled by a copy of this certificate.

Last edited by a moderator: