New EMT-B need a job

Sluggo

Forum Ride Along
I just got my EMT cert and I am having trouble finding a job. I do not volunteer although I would love to, but I work 10-12 hrs a day 5 days a week and the 2 kids are little. Not much time for it. I want to eventually get onto FDNY (save the comments about that good or bad) but I do not want to sit around with no experience. Not too many places hire without experience and I hear bad things about hunter ems (the only one that will take me). Any suggestions? I live on Long Island NY.

rennex

Forum Crew Member
Don't know how far into LI you are, but there are plenty of places that hire without experience if you can commute into the five boroughs: Midwood, SeniorCare, First Response, Transcare, and Citywide off the top of my head.

I'm also not sure if you can support a family of two kids off what you'd be making as a brand new EMT in IFT but you said you wanted experience :mellow:

KyleG

Forum Crew Member
Don't know how far into LI you are, but there are plenty of places that hire without experience if you can commute into the five boroughs: Midwood, SeniorCare, First Response, Transcare, and Citywide off the top of my head.

I'm also not sure if you can support a family of two kids off what you'd be making as a brand new EMT in IFT but you said you wanted experience :mellow:

Either follow up on this guys path. Or just suck it up and take the one that offered stay for some time and peace out. Use them for some experience then jump ship and go to the dream of FDNY.

Angel

Paramedic
i say get your experience where you can, i went about 2 years with no job partly because i was being too picky. i eventually got one but had to commute for about a month and a half until i was able to pick working at the station closer to my house.
the job isnt glamorus at all but its paying the bills and getting me the experience i need.

Thrillhou

Forum Ride Along
Hunter is your best bet. They will give you full time right away and they pay better than all of the other IFT companies on the island. But as previously stated you're probably not going to be able to support your kids on a new EMT B salary, i'd try to get some per diem work at Hunter and see how you like it.

Also I don't know where you're located but unless you're in Nassau County I don't think it'd be worth it to commute into the city for an entry level EMS job.

Last edited by a moderator: