NEMSA in the Spring... Beaumont Tx area....

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
Hi all! I will be starting emt basic in January 2013, then onto paramedic school. I am so excited to be honest =) I eventually want to be a registered nurse but for now I'm just going to enjoy the ride. I have a few questions and hoping I can find some answers here....

I am older and starting my career late. 34 year old single mother of one. I've had my own cleaning business for 7 years. Originally wanted to go to nursing school, but can't dedicate that much time to school with a ft job and a kiddo. So this is the route I will take. Anxious to begin my journey!

First, does anyone know what acadian may start their entry level basics at? I plan to work for them after becoming emt-b certified and while going through the paramedic program. Gaining the experience is one reason, plus they can work completely around the program.

Second, once I'm a medic... where is the best ems to work for? Private (acadian) or the city? I'm sure benefits through the city are better but what about pay? Or does it pay better to work a hospital?

I'm a little worried about the lifting aspect of testing. I don't even know what to expect. I'm not necessarily petite, but I'm 5'5" 125lbs and fairly strong for my size as I have a regular lifting routine... I dont like to be "soft" lol. But again, don't know what to expect.

Anyway, I'm sure I have plenty more questions but that's a good start. Thanks!

dewey

Forum Probie
Acadian starts around $9 in Beaumont (I think). Don't know who's better to work for. Working in a hospital will pay better.

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
Wow... there's no way we would make it on that <_< I would need 15/hr if I am to pay bills. What about medics with acadian?

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited by a moderator:

xrsm002

Forum Captain
The hospital in the Midland/Odessa area pay their medics (Er techs) 15/hr starting out. Plus they let you use most of your medic schools unlike some other ERs in Texas I've been at.

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
I know it will be a lot of work. I'm prepared for that. When i say i don't have time for a traditional nursing program, i mean the time spent in class and clinicals for an asn. After i become a medic I plan to go straight into an upward mobility nursing program. It will take me 4 years from emt-b to medic to nursing ... but i cannot devote the time needed for rn school while working full time without neglecting my child. He comes first, always.

I will definitely look into er tech positions in my area... thanks!

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I know it will be a lot of work. I'm prepared for that. When i say i don't have time for a traditional nursing program, i mean the time spent in class and clinicals for an asn. After i become a medic I plan to go straight into an upward mobility nursing program. It will take me 4 years from emt-b to medic to nursing ... but i cannot devote the time needed for rn school while working full time without neglecting my child. He comes first, always.

I will definitely look into er tech positions in my area... thanks!

Some medic programs are longer (class hours and clinical hours) than some ADN programs

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
Not the one im going to. Basically its 8 hours a day for 2 days a week. 2 year program.Leaving me 5 days class free for work and clinicals. Where nursing school here is 5 days a week, classes at different times of the day, leaving me with a screwed up schedule to try to work around. Then there are also clinicals. So this is just easier for me....

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
Oh Tim, sorry i misread that. It may be longer overall idk... i just know its doable for me where the adn/bsn programs are not.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Relevant
Animated-Pony-Cider-Herd-Joining.gif

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I think the emtb pay is closer to $12/hr.

NEMSA is a good program if you can make it work. Another plus is employees can payroll deduct the cost of medic school.

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
I could handle 12/hr and keep a couple of my clients while going through medic school. And YES ... I need to be able to defer the tuition until im making more. Thank u... u have given me hope =)

I have heard nemsa is a great program. And honestly my only option being a single mom with no one to help with my kiddo. As it is now, the cleaning business brings in around 32k tax free, but no benefits. I file taxes, but since im a single parent i may end up paying in a couple hundred each january.

The real eye opener was when my mom, who is also in the business started having real back problems WITHOUT insurance and physically unable to work. Now at 50 is trying to get back into the workforce with absolutely no higher education.

While i do have some college, its nothing that will pay more than what i make now and i only work 30 hrs a week. So this is my route to a nursing career. Heck who knows i love to learn so i may even take it further. I just know that i cant clean to retirement.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Welcome to the herd. Grab a cider. It's gonna be GREAT!