Negligent Motor Operation << impossible to get hired?

capecodian

Forum Ride Along
Hi all,

Newbie here, recently certified as an EMT-B in MA. I have a Negligent Motor Operation conviction from a couple years ago, I'm wondering if this will make it impossible to get hired as an EMT-B. I asked my EMT instructor (a 20 year vet) about it and he said it wouldn't be a huge deal. Any opinions on this matter?

Thx in advance!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
How many points did it give you?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Most insurance companies will look at points, that's the reason a bad driving record precludes people from working in EMS. The company might love you but if you don't fit their insurance company's parameters you're stuck.

For my agency you can have up to 3 points or 3 "incidents" so say two minor speeding tickets and an at-fault accident and you'd be right on the cusp for our insurance. They like people with less obviously.

Things like DUI, Wet and Reckless, reckless driving, road rage charges are automatic disqualifiers. I'm not familiar with negligent motor vehicle operation, depending on that it might be a DQer it might not be. Only way to find out is to ask agencies, you can also talk to your OEMS and see what they have to say, probably not the first time someone has asked them that.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I believe that's the Massachusetts version of non-impaired reckless driving. It's been a bit since Driver's Ed though.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I believe that's the Massachusetts version of non-impaired reckless driving. It's been a bit since Driver's Ed though.

If that's the case you might be looking for attendant only or non ambulance jobs until it clears your record, unfortunately.

My record as a juvenile and early college isn't pretty. Probably worse than many could imagine on here. Wouldn't surprise me if some one here didn't like me anymore if they found out about my past. I busted my *** to show that I had learned and changed and have kept myself on the straight and narrow for a long time without even so much as a speeding ticket in 4 years and I've been gainfully employed as a full time EMT-I then Paramedic for the last 2.5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
If that's the case you might be looking for attendant only or non ambulance jobs until it clears your record, unfortunately.

My record as a juvenile and early college isn't pretty. Probably worse than many could imagine on here. Wouldn't surprise me if some one here didn't like me anymore if they found out about my past. I busted my *** to show that I had learned and changed and have kept myself on the straight and narrow for a long time without even so much as a speeding ticket in 4 years and I've been gainfully employed as a full time EMT-I then Paramedic for the last 2.5 years.

People would have to like you first to stop liking you, right?

In all seriousness, be honest about what happened and what you learned from it, and you might be fine, especially once your record clears.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
People would have to like you first to stop liking you, right?

In all seriousness, be honest about what happened and what you learned from it, and you might be fine, especially once your record clears.

This guy!

takl23

Forum Crew Member
You could still be hired but the company won't certify you as a driver so you'd always work with someone who is certified by the company/insurance to drive.