Need some tips!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
How to write in the back? Very carefully. Of course, my handwriting is so bad, it actually gets better when there is external motion :)

I blame my hand writing on the bumps in the road! :p

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It is called multi-tasking. I can draw up med.'s, shock, intubate, and even do paperwork in the back.... and my pet pee is not having the unit ready as soon as the call is over unless it is an intense call.

One should had at least started on some of the documentation. We went to e-PCR last Jan. so it takes me a little longer than the old paper days when I had everything done in detail by the end of the transport.

You can monitor your patient closely by periodicaly assessing them. One does not have to continously be at face level on most of the patients unless they are very serious and need detail continous monitoring.

R/r 911

medic417

The Truth Provider
I think the issue has become a bit polarized. There is a lot of ground between ignoring a patient and hovering over them constantly for the entire transport. One is poor patient care and the other is a personality disorder.

I think most of us are somewhere in the middle. We are able to multi-task. We have many things to do while transporting. In my case, we have to call the ER and make a short report, giving pt information so they can pull the chart before we arrive at their doors with the pt. I can take my eyes off the patient while I get the IV set up. I can look away while I get a NRB to replace the NC that was already in place (or vice versa) Writing parts of the report can be done while watching the patient.

I think some of your posts made it seem that you felt any momentary discontinuation in eye contact with the patient was tanatamount to abandonment.

Think you for the clarification of what people were not getting. Yes we look away to make notes of vitals, draw meds, etc. Yes we multi task. I just to not think doing your complete report is proper as it is to easy to get caught up in the report plus you do not have all facts yet as transport is not complete so hard to write a truthful narrative.

*ofLife

Forum Crew Member
I hate writing narratives in the rig! Not much has helped so far, but I think I'm getting better over time. (I've only been writing narratives for about 3 or 4 months now) Practice, practice, practice! ^_^

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Why did you post a picture of Illinois' former governor?

As to your original post..
Plant your feet, plant your clipboard on your superior thighs (eg "lap"), pin your elbows to your sides, your wrists to your thighs by the clipboard and write with your fingers and wrist only. Large letters, few words, reposition as needed. Point being in moving craft you don't want your entire arms acting as pendulums, you want your entire hand to move in immediate tandem with the paper. You will hold your breath; remember to breathe!:wacko:

Hey, where'd the picture of the staring kid go??
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2361/2067892589_87d75e9a1d.jpg?v=0http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2361/2067892589_87d75e9a1d.jpg?v=0[

Last edited by a moderator: