Need Some Help W/ Recertification Please

schang7

Forum Ride Along
I got my emt-b certification last summer, trying to get on with a fire department. But while in my emt class i decided i wanted to go the ems route and started school in a 2 year university paramedic program. I'm going through the 1st year of prereq's right now (a and p, math, med term., etc.)
but my basic certification expires while i'm in my second year of the program.

i read that to recertify you have to be working in ems for at least 6 months...is there any other way b/c i'll be in a medic program? or will i have to take the basic class while im in the medic program?

thanks in advance for the help and advice!

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Many states will re-certify you if you are in medic school with an official letter on school letterhead verifying you are there. Since you cannot be a medic without being an EMT, it would be pointless you know? I do not know if that is true where you are so contact your state EMS office for the correct answer to your question.

I got my emt-b certification last summer, trying to get on with a fire department. But while in my emt class i decided i wanted to go the ems route and started school in a 2 year university paramedic program. I'm going through the 1st year of prereq's right now (a and p, math, med term., etc.)
but my basic certification expires while i'm in my second year of the program.

i read that to recertify you have to be working in ems for at least 6 months...is there any other way b/c i'll be in a medic program? or will i have to take the basic class while im in the medic program?

thanks in advance for the help and advice!