Need Advice RE: a Job

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys,

I guess I'm looking for mostly legal advice, I was contacted this morning by a person who runs a camp in MA. They stated that they needed a "camp nurse" for 8 days, and were hoping that I could fill that position. There will be 40 kids, aged 12-17. Activities at a waterfront (with lifeguards), various sports/games. The job entails responding to medical issues as well as organizing the medications which some of the kids will need to take.
The pay is high, but I'm a bit worried about legal implications of this job. What are my "protocols" if any? Am I able to operate as a first responder? Where do I lie? Last year, the camp had a completely incompetent RN who performed her duties poorly, and I ended up having to pick up most of her slack.
Let's hear it guys, should I take this gig?
-Swiss

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
The job will be as described in your contract with them and all of these issues should be addressed there. If there is distribution of meds, in some localities, that needs to be done only by an R.N. or under an R.N.'s supervision. I would be very clear on what my understanding of my responsibilities and on what I see as my limitations legally before agreeing to sign on. Also, language stating what coverage if any is there for me insurance wise, or a provision to reimburse me for private insurance I would have to get.

Did I ever mention I was raised by an attorney?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Quick $.02--
I dont know much about the protocols you have to follow, but I do know that most camps either choose to be or are required to be ACA-Accredited (American Camping Assoc.)-- and I know that ACA has a lot to say about health at camp. I think they have minimum guidelines for camps of a certain size-- I vaguely remember for a camp that size you need 1-2 RNs (coverage 24/7) and an MD "on call" 8-hours a day.
I dont know what MA has to say about EMTs giving out meds, but I do know of some camps using an outside pharmacy-- that packages meds individually for every administration so that non-RNs can admin them- (check out http://www.medicine-on-time.com/)
I have spent time at several camps in MA-- and know that the state government is very involved-- so they may have some resources-- check out Mass.gov

Good luck!

OP
OP
SwissEMT

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
It's not certified with the ACA. I would simply be given all the Rxs of each camper on the first day and then give out the meds based on the info placed on the MDs orders. I would not be giving out any meds which aren't prescribed to them.
I've looked around and it seems that it's not rare that EMTs work for summer camps as medical staff, I'm just worried about my protocols, who would issue med control etc. I'll be operating within Region IV of MA as a certified MAEMT-B. I will be the only medical staff present on the camp grounds for 8 days.
It seems like being a camp medical staffperson is always a grey zone, legally speaking. Unless there's an MD on-site issuing medcontrol, there's really nothing there, is there?:unsure:

emtbuff

Forum Captain
I know our local church camp does the same thing with having EMTB, LPN, or RN at the camp handing out medications. I Think they have a protocol in place tho. And I think they have an RN that is kinda the lead person and checks all the medications that are brought in and okayed to hand out.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
assisting children in giving prescriptions is probably okay. I personally would have no qualms in doing so but that is just me. Having gone to camp as a child, I feel very comfortable in that environment.

I am not a lawyer and do not give out legal advice.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Call the OEMS and get in writing if an EMT can do this or not. Last thing you want is to end up in hot water. You're not trying to do something wrong, but an EMT card may not allow you to do this. Heck, a medic card might not either.

jrm818

Forum Captain
sounds legally a little sketchy. MA EMT protocols don't allow EMT's to play with meds other than the normal "B" meds - but the camp's position as a guardian of the kids may be relevant to your ability to administer perscribed meds. Similarly, MA law addresses EMT's only in the context of an ambulance service - they seem to give little specific guidance. Bstone is right - contact OEMS and see what they say - then get it in writing.

Side note: do you have your MA required Epi-Pen training? I would imagine a camp would require that you be able to administer epi in an emergency.

Last edited by a moderator:

Epi-do

I see dead people
The first two summers I had my cert, I worked for a summer camp. While there, I would collect all prescription meds and do a brief physical exam of each camper. Over the course of their stay, I would pass out the meds as prescribed by their doctors. The camp had it's own set of protocols and medical director, which I could call at any time with questions regarding the protocols I was working under. These protocols were much more liberal than the county protocols I worked under at the fire department. It was a fabulous experience for me and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

I would think that the camp director should be able to answer some of your questions, and would be able to point you in the right direction to find the answers to the rest of them.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It's quite common for an EMT-B to work in the position your described. You would operate as a first responder, and again, how many BLS procedures do you think you'll really be performing?

My understanding is that most camps want someone to collect and distribute meds and put on band aids. Most likely you won't have anything beyond a basic first aid kit.