Nasal Cannula

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
qepera5e.jpg

I guess you think that is a silly question. Isn't Scope of Practice always in debate here and aren't some EMTs now AEMTs?

You should not just take at face value that all systems are the same. Some BLS trucks do carry extra ETCO2 cannulas since they also transport flight and CCT crews.

Aren't you also one of those who is always saying no one knows what EMS does? Now when you get a chance to differentiate between what your BLS trucks are capable of and can provide, you post some silly photo which is kinda insulting to EMTs who might be on trucks with crews capable of doing more than you.

As ALS, do you do ETCO2 on all patients just for the extra charge? A lot of home O2 patients may have other complaints and do not need ETCO2 monitoring. Do you toss their cannula and place ETCO2 just for the charge or your protocols says so?

Maybe it is time some in EMS like yourself start to think about why certain equipment is chosen. Is it financial? Contract with a certain vendor? Reimbursement? Compatibility with hospitals or other services' equipment? Ever wonder why others in health care do give you the Tommy Lee Jones look in the ER?

Last edited by a moderator:

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Plus your patient can pretend he is a head football coach or flying a jumbo jet.

For those just given home O2 and are still uncomfortable with being stuck with it probably for the rest of their life, that might not be a bad thing especially for kids of school age who must wear O2.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I guess you think that is a silly question. Isn't Scope of Practice always in debate here and aren't some EMTs now AEMTs?

You should not just take at face value that all systems are the same. Some BLS trucks do carry extra ETCO2 cannulas since they also transport flight and CCT crews.

Aren't you also one of those who is always saying no one knows what EMS does? Now when you get a chance to differentiate between what your BLS trucks are capable of and can provide, you post some silly photo which is kinda insulting to EMTs who might be on trucks with crews capable of doing more than you.

As ALS, do you do ETCO2 on all patients just for the extra charge? A lot of home O2 patients may have other complaints and do not need ETCO2 monitoring. Do you toss their cannula and place ETCO2 just for the charge or your protocols says so?

Maybe it is time some in EMS like yourself start to think about why certain equipment is chosen. Is it financial? Contract with a certain vendor? Reimbursement? Compatibility with hospitals or other services' equipment? Ever wonder why others in health care do give you the Tommy Lee Jones look in the ER?

You make a lot of assumptions, don't you? You should really work on that. Especially since most of your assumptions are completely asinine, off-base, and unfounded.

Where did anybody discuss scope of practice?

Where did I say all systems were the same?

Where have I ever said "no one knows what EMS does" or anything remotely close to that (here's a hint: the answer is never)

No I do not do EtCO2 on all patients, nor have I ever hinted that I do.

Do you encounter many patients that understand EtCO2 and when it is and is not needed? You let patients completely dictate your care, then? If a patient WebMD's their self with cardiac chest pain, are you going to then give them Nitro, Aspirin, and Morphine because they say they need it? (You see, I can make completely erroneous assumptions, too.)

Have I given you any indication that I have zero understanding of the business aspect of EMS? I'm willing to bet it's another one of your completely unfounded assumptions that you seem so keen on pulling out of thin air.

If you're just going to take everything out of context to try and start an argument, maybe think about refraining from posting. I don't think there's a single person on this forum that would be disappointed. In fact, I think I may take a page out of Expat's book, because I am really tired of reading your incessant garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh yes, thus the last sentence of my post.

Basically all you and jpnfv want to do is sling insults. This is your forum and you are obviously some of the leaders here.

But, what I am trying to do is to get some to consider why a company makes the choices it does for equipment. It is not always because of the glossy ads in magazines or whatever is most popular at the time. It may not even be about patient care.

I asked a few simple questions to clarify Poet's post. This is how you also need to approach making any purchasing decision. You must know the needs of your service including the types of patients, the vendors your company associates with and the budget.

If you want to insult and ramble on nonsense by nitpicking and posting juvenile photos, you can. This is your website and luckily it does say EMTlife. Maybe closing this website so it is not a public site might keep others from trying to educate you on certain processes involving both the business and patient care side.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Simmer down. Discussion of perceived insults in this thread ends now.

Feel free to continue with a NICE discussion of types of nasal cannulae.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Clipper, the only leaders here are the people with their name in red. (The community leaders) However, we do have some strong personalities here and you need to be ready to take some heat when you post items that others may question.

As far as the ETCO2 cannula, our service is exclusively ALS. These cannula are not made available to BLS unless a paramedic is on scene and places one. In cases where I provide sedation or pain management or have a patient that I need to monitor the ventilatory status of, I use an ETCO2 filter set. In fact, if a patient requires oxygen from me, they'll get a filter set, as I don't provide oxygen "just in case". The filter sets are more expensive than a simple NC, but provide additional data I can use when assessing and treating my patients.

I hope that helps clarify my use of a ETCO2 filter set.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
My volunteer department uses what ever nasal cannula the hospital is currently using. We have an agreement with the hospital to purchase our supplies through the hospital systems. We are getting them for a significantly cheaper price then buying through the supplies. The only issue we seem to have, is that we do not have a choice with what to use.

I know one thing that differs between my two departments is adult and pediatric. In my volunteer department we carry both. On the paid department we only carry an adult. The size difference is so minimal and we use them so infrequently that pediatric are not needed (or required by state).