Narcotic carrying case

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
6c002307-2efd-4465.jpg

This is what we use, just a smaller version. Ours has I think 6 compartments just big enough to fit a vial in them. And it still easily fits in a pocket.

To secure them we have colored zip ties that are easy to beak off.

And for anyone who fishes, yes these cases are for fishing haha.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
We have small belt pouches that hold 6 vials. They are heavy leather with plastic inside to keep the vials protected. They kinda look like a minitor pager case.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Perhaps I am a bit old school, but if your agency wants you to carry narcs around aren't they responsible to provide a container?

If you were an agency administrator, in order to cut down on the waste of broken narc containers, the paper work involved, etc. Wouldn't you have a vested interest in making sure this was not left to chance?

Why do employees put up with this crap?

What I can't figure out is why an EMT B would be carrying narcotics, even in Alaska. And they are his personal meds?

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
What I can't figure out is why an EMT B would be carrying narcotics, even in Alaska. And they are his personal meds?

I carried narcs 1 time as an EMT-B. I was going to a standby event and I had to meet the medic at the event, so a chief signed them over to me, and then I had the chief cross sign them back in afterwards. I obviously was never tasked with dispensing them, just transporting them to a scene and back. Technically, I was never in control of the narcs at any point when we were "in-service".

Also, one of the local hospital based critical care flight transport services requires their medics to carry narcotics on their persons at all times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I understand that an EMT B may be in possession of narcs temporarily, I myself did it once in a situation similar to what you are describing. It occasionally happens where I work now since our narcs live in a lock box in the ambulance. If a medic is giving narcs on scene the EMT may be the one that gets them and puts them back.

That wouldn't necessitate a personal carrying case though, which is why I'm confused. The only situation I can come up with is a military medic who is a NREMT B. I'm not sure if they carry narcs or not, but I bet the military has a standard issue carrying case for them if they do.

tacwear68

Forum Probie
6c002307-2efd-4465.jpg

This is what we use, just a smaller version. Ours has I think 6 compartments just big enough to fit a vial in them. And it still easily fits in a pocket.

To secure them we have colored zip ties that are easy to beak off.

And for anyone who fishes, yes these cases are for fishing haha.

Walmart has a range of sizes

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I've seen tackle organizers (the clear plastic things), pencil cases, and Pelican cases/OtterBoxes. Everywhere I work currently has a double lock (seal+lock) on the narcs and they are left in the end pouch of the ALS bag.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Parsing.

1. The employer is responsible to equip you if it is required for the job, unless that is part of the contract that you equip yourself. Anything you buy that fails is your lookout.
2. Are you signing these narcs out then in every shift? Why? Can't they stop pilfering in their own company? Time for mandatory drug and hair testing. It is needless and risky pharmaceutical practice.
3. If ears are deaf, write memo for record, documenting dates, maybe times, and names of persons who told you this was policy. Send it email, registered mail. Not accusatory, just recording what you were told and by whom. This might not even be an official policy.

If it continues, consult a pharmacist (they are so tired of being treated like the Pez dispenser above they will welcome honest enquiries) or the local EMSA for a generic opinion, as through you were thinking about suggesting it, and see what their thoughts are, then pass them back to your bosses the same non-threatening way. Any verbal encounters from them you record (in your day planner you will go buy today) and carry around, or at least a nice spiral notebook in your pocket, and prominently pull out and open when something comes up, like being yelled at or something.

If you had a union, you could have your professional practices reps brig it up. It is not right.

MedicBrew

Forum Lieutenant
WOW! Caring controlled substances on your person is NOT a safe practice.

Some areas around here would get you a fractured skull if the public knew you had those goodies on your person all the times.

The DEA requires that Controlled substances, especially schedule II drugs be secured behind at least two locks, if not under direct control, which is what you’re doing, but man is it dangerous.

I feel for you guys that have that burden. I would not do it, AT ALL.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

Some areas around here would get you a fractured skull if the public knew you had those goodies on your person all the times.

The DEA requires that Controlled substances, especially schedule II drugs be secured behind at least two locks, if not under direct control, which is what you’re doing, but man is it dangerous.

I know plenty of places that require the medics to carry their narcs on them at all times. Trust me, if someone wanted to rob me for 400mcg of Fent, I'm not gonna put up much of a fight. ;)

Like most others here, we carry our narcs, double locked, in a small pelican case. There is room for Fent, versed, a couple of syringes, needles and a carpuject plunger. Works great for us.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Every medic I know where I work carries them on their person and not one of them has had or has heard of anyone having an issue simply because the narcs are in a shirt pocket. If someone really wants to rip an EMS crew off for a small amount of narcotics, a locked pelican case is not going to stop them.

MedicBrew

Forum Lieutenant
Every medic I know where I work carries them on their person and not one of them has had or has heard of anyone having an issue simply because the narcs are in a shirt pocket. If someone really wants to rip an EMS crew off for a small amount of narcotics, a locked pelican case is not going to stop them.

I’m not doubting you, don’t get me wrong that’s just not a practice I’ve heard of before. Seems kind of dangerous to me. I would not be comfortable with that at all. I happy to hear no one has had an issue or been assaulted though.

We have a HUGE meth problem here and if the twickers knew you have downers on you, they wouldn’t hesitate to “acquire” them from a medic.

We carry Fent 300mcg, 30mg MS, 30mg Valium, 15mg Versed, 200mg Demerol (not sure way, but we still have it), and 100mg Etomidate (it’s not controlled but it’s locked up with the others) and coming soon to an ambulance near you, dilaudid!. A Little too much to carry around on your person. Their locked up in a safe that’s secured to the unit.

If you don’t mind me asking where are you guys located generally speaking, NE, NW, mid-west????

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
OP, you just uncovered a hornets' nest.

In no way can a shirt pcket be construed as "double locked". (We went through a DEA audit once and the learning curve was steep, that was one we failed).

Signing out the meds is supposed to be for two reasons, as far as I know: to give to a patient (and the patient's name is signed into the log), or to transfer the med to another dispenser, which requires the closure of the originating log pages by two authorized signers (one usually the pharmacist) and origination of a new log page for the new dispensing location (pharmacy, "pill room", but not someone's pocket). These arre linked by the exclusive serial number on the secure packaging (bubble pack, "bug box", etc).

The "signing out"/log procedure establishes a second by second legal record of the chain of custody of this medicine. The two signers are the responsible parties.

I heartily encourage anyone being required to personally "check out" and carry narcotics/scheduled medicines on their person or an otherwise non-double locked storage (a duffle in the ambulance doesn't count) to contact your local pharmacy board and EMSA to find out what local law is.

The caution about buying your own equip still stands. Who buys the gear is responsible for its failure and damages subsequent thereto.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I’m not doubting you, don’t get me wrong that’s just not a practice I’ve heard of before. Seems kind of dangerous to me. I would not be comfortable with that at all. I happy to hear no one has had an issue or been assaulted though.

We have a HUGE meth problem here and if the twickers knew you have downers on you, they wouldn’t hesitate to “acquire” them from a medic.

We carry Fent 300mcg, 30mg MS, 30mg Valium, 15mg Versed, 200mg Demerol (not sure way, but we still have it), and 100mg Etomidate (it’s not controlled but it’s locked up with the others) and coming soon to an ambulance near you, dilaudid!. A Little too much to carry around on your person. Their locked up in a safe that’s secured to the unit.

If you don’t mind me asking where are you guys located generally speaking, NE, NW, mid-west????

Front range Colorado area. Our medics do not carry that amount of narcs on them for what it's worth. Most carry enough to start care inside before moving to the truck, where the safe has the rest. Generally not more than 200mcg of fent and some Valium. They also have fire medics on scene who bring a drug box into every call (ambo does not have portable drug box), so more can be acquired on scene quickly if needed.