my OR clinicals

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
so I am currently doing my clinicals for medic school and other OR. I have 5 tubes so far, but I need a total of 10 tubes. I'm not having any trouble actually intubating. The problem is the hospital I am at uses LMA's and tries to avoid ETTs. The docs are more than happy to let me put LMAs in but now it's tithe point where I don't want to miss a tube in another room if I'm plaing an LMA especially side I only need tubes. I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem getting tubes in the OR.

Sasha

Forum Chief
so I am currently doing my clinicals for medic school and other OR. I have 5 tubes so far, but I need a total of 10 tubes. I'm not having any trouble actually intubating. The problem is the hospital I am at uses LMA's and tries to avoid ETTs. The docs are more than happy to let me put LMAs in but now it's tithe point where I don't want to miss a tube in another room if I'm plaing an LMA especially side I only need tubes. I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem getting tubes in the OR.

At least you have an OR rotation! We lost our privledge to go into the OR due to some other school's students flubbing it up pretty bad and all of our intubations must be done in the field or five intubations on a mannequin equals one field intubation, so be happy for what ya got!

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
It's a tough one with ETI being used less often in the OR.

You could either ask ahead what cases are going to use ETI, or look at the schedule of any cases with surgery over the nipple line - basically ENT cases which should favour ET tubes. I got ALL my OR tubes from pediatric myringotomies, tonsillectomies, adenoidectomies etc.

It doesn't help your case, but I predict that ET intubation is going to become a thing of the past, in all but a few instances in the years ahead, and that includes in EMS. The benefit of having a secure airway some of the time, will eventually give way to having a reasonably secure airway which provides ventilation to the lungs all of the time, with supraglottic airways such as the King LT, I-gel, Combi, and of course the LMA being the norm.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I had the same problem. I found they had a list of the surgeries for that day and if you talked to the anesthetist they would tell you which ones were going to need an ETT and not a LMA. Then I would talk to the other anesthetist to see if I could get in on their surg. for the ETT. It involved a bit of juggling but it was good to see how different anesthetists worked. I worked with four of them and they all did things differently. I always went out and did the pt. interview with them so I could examine the pt prior to intubating them. I found it was also a good time to learn some different drugs for sedation, and paralysis and the ventilator settings. The anesthetists are very smart Drs. and you can learn a lot from them.

I had 20 tubes to do and did about 12 LMA's. I actually found the LMA's to be not quite as easy to put in as I was told in school. Sometimes you need a bit of force and wiggle to get them down, or deflate the cuff and prebend them a little. For my tubes I didn't use a stylet but did get to use a bougie a couple of times.

All in all the OR was a very interesting and educational experience.

VentMedic

Forum Chief

Do NOT pass up the opportunity to learn any alternative airways or anything extra about airways. Unfortunately, some students just do their checklist and say FINISHED. Make time to see and do as much as possible between your ETIs.

It doesn't help your case, but I predict that ET intubation is going to become a thing of the past, in all but a few instances in the years ahead, and that includes in EMS. The benefit of having a secure airway some of the time, will eventually give way to having a reasonably secure airway which provides ventilation to the lungs all of the time, with supraglottic airways such as the King LT, I-gel, Combi, and of course the LMA being the norm.

ETI will NOT become a thing of the past because the supraglottic tubes can not be placed on a ventilator with any degree of safety. Hospitals also use a wide variety of different ETTs for a wide range of disease processes and gases.

However, for some places, ETI is already a thing of the past for EMS especially with pediatrics.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
ETI will NOT become a thing of the past because the supraglottic tubes can not be placed on a ventilator with any degree of safety. Hospitals also use a wide variety of different ETTs for a wide range of disease processes and gases.

Stop replying to posts you have merely scanned. I deliberately included the words "in all but a few instances" for the pedants among us. Your (real) job is safe...for now :p

And yes, it is already "becoming" a thing of the past in some of the more progressive EMS systems. The lack of tubes in the OR as time goes on, will also make live practice with endotracheal intubation a distant memory, as is already evident by other posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Stop replying to posts you have merely scanned. I deliberately included the "in all but a few instances" for the pedants amoung us. Your (real) job is safe...for now :p

A few? Do you know how many intubated patients are on life support in hospitals throughout the world? It is definitely more than a few. Unfortunately, some in EMS never get to see the world of critical care or even care much about what happens past the ED entrance.

Yes, I do prefer a secure tube by ETI for Flight but if an LMA is present and there have been multiple attempts by the ground crew to intubate, I may elect to keep the LMA. But that in not way makes my job not secure since alot more goes into advanced life support than being able to put a plastic tube through the cords.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
A few? Do you know how many intubated patients are on life support in hospitals throughout the world? It is definitely more than a few.

My comment was in reference to the number of professions and systems using ETI, not the number of individual patients.

But while we are on the subject, maybe you can run the exact number by me as I have no idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
My comment was in reference to professions and systems using ETI, not number of patients.

But while we are on the subject, maybe you can run the exact number by me as I have no idea.

Today, we currently have 120 adult ventilator patients and 75 in the neo/peds section. I have 4 intubated adults on ventilators in the ED awaiting space in an ICU.

Throughout the city with the many hospitals, I would say there may be another 300 - 400 ventilators in use just in the immediate area. That does not include the sub-acutes where a tracheostomy (below the cords not supraglottic) must be done for long term. My area is large but nothing compared to LA, NYC or even Boston.

Small community hospitals of 200 beds may average 12 - 30 adult ventilators per day.

OP
OP
mikeN

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
I go in at 630am and I find the anesth charge for the day to look at the schedule and he'll tell me which cases are tubes. Then I'll go to that anesthesiologist and find out most of the time that they are just going to use an LMA. They even invite me to do the LMA but now it getting to the wire and I need tubes, not LMAs. I understand it's good to sit in on the surgeries and I have but I can't chance a doc deciding he wants to do a tube on someone while interviewing a pt and I'm off watching a surgery. Another annoyig thing is I have to get a consent form signed by patients to let me put a tube or LMA in. I haven't had anyone refuse but people can't sign if they have been medicated before the procedure. I've had one doc come out of the surgical room to get me to tell me that he needs to tube instead of using an LMA but I can't tube if hey can't sign. That also goes for someone that's been given fentynal while waiting.

Silverstone

Forum Probie
Just tell your preceptor you NEED ETT's and not LMA's. I'm sure they'll work with you. When I did my OR clinicals I mostly did ETT's on kids that were getting T&A's out.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
At least you have an OR rotation! We lost our privledge to go into the OR due to some other school's students flubbing it up pretty bad and all of our intubations must be done in the field or five intubations on a mannequin equals one field intubation, so be happy for what ya got!

I know the feeling! The one major healthcare system in NM has decreed no students in the OR, period. Their one hospital that was letting my colleges students in was found out and lots of their staff got in trouble.

OP
OP
mikeN

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
haha! Preceptor. You're funny.
I'm kind of on my own in their. Most of the dogs know I'm there for tubes but they can tube everyone. A few wouldn't mind tubing everyone, but the lady that runs the gig wants LMAs and no unnessessary intubations. It's just the frequency of tubes is rare or it decided to intubate someone after I can get a signature.

vquintessence

Forum Captain
I know MA is a pain in the explitive when it comes to requirements... but it can all easily be done and shouldn't deter you from enjoying the OR. What hospital are you doing OR time at? Can you choose your own? Try to get to a learning hospital, preferably UMASS or in Boston. They have lots of scheduled and unscheduled surgeries alike, but the problem lies with competing with med students.

If it takes you longer to get the minimum, so what? You're still being given a front row seat to surgery procedures, getting the importance of sterilization further hammered into you, contingency planning, etc. If you run into a set where all pts will get LMA's, try to find the most interesting surgeries and ask the pts/surgeons/anesthesiologists if you can watch from the corner, instead of sitting in the break room until the next round.

If you happen to be lucky enough to see a tracheostomy case, TAKE IT (sorry cannot remember the procedural name for it). It is truly amazing to see it undertaken. People pay HUGE amounts of money AFTER school to witness/experience airway cases. I wasn't allowed to touch the airway in that case, you probably won't be allowed to either, but it will be hugely beneficial nonetheless.

Have you been with the anesthesiologists and CRNA's when they do their airway assessment with the pts? Their size up may seem quick and non-essential but it will be a huge asset for you in the field, when you can see a difficult tube BEFORE you attempt it. That may save your pt. Seriously, "extra" OR time isn't a bad thing.

OP
OP
mikeN

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
I stopped sitting in on surgeries on day 2 after 2 instances of a doc trying to find me to intubate patients that were still in holding. I also stopped hanging out in the breakroom and hang out by the pre-op rooms where the interveiws are done and will ask the doc if that case will e a tube or LMA.

I'm not going to name my hospital but it is west of Boston and not a teaching hospital so I have to get consent forms signed which is really working against me right now. The rest of my classmates are at teaching hospitals so they don't need consent forms signed by a patient. I got denied by a patient literally 10 minutes ago.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
MikeN,

There is another solution to your predicament, but it does require your anesthesiologist/anesthetist being very lenient and not apposed to thinking/working outside the box.

You may have already tried, but...

Explain your situation and ask them if it would be possible to intubate them with ETT, confirm proper placement, then change back to LMA for the surgery.

Granted, you're not likely to be allowed to do this, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

OP
OP
mikeN

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
I that last post, yeah that wouldn't fly. So I got denied by that patient a bit ago. Literally right after I posted that a doc decided during an interview that he was going to tube a patient and got me. I was outside of the room. Patient consented and success. Now the next one is in a half hour so I need to hunt that one down.

jason152318

Forum Probie
Thats interesting. A lot of hospitals and even EMS providers are switching over to the king LT which they say is better and is faster. When I did my OR time the hospital I was at used both lms's and ET's but only on certain pt's. are there any other hospitals in your area that use ET's?