My NYC Job Hunt Plan. Please advise.

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Searched NYC in this category and found nothing so here goes....

Based on talking to friends and EMS personnel that frequent the facility I work at, here's my job hunting plan once I graduate EMT school in November:

1. Apply to FDNY and all local brooklyn private ambulances (transcare, seniorcare, midwood, RCA, etc.)

2. Apply to volunteer with 911 ambulances (such as Bravo) in Brooklyn for the 911 experience whenever I can, while waiting for a paid job offer

3. While waiting for FDNY, take any job offer. Transport-only ambulances I'll do part-time while keeping my primary CNA job. Transport/911 ambulances (such as transcare & seniorcare) I would do full time if they called, since I hear they can transfer you to their 911 unit with 6-12 months of initial full time transport experience.

Please advise. I want to make the best decisions with the right organizations to kick-off my EMT career.

Thanks guys!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Transcare and SeniorCare say to 6 to 12 months. Don't really expect that. They mess with some people while letting other people directly into 911.

Look into NJ, Long Island and Westchester also. Empress in Yonkers will give you a mix of 911 and transport.

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Does NJ have reciprocity with NY? I hear NYC's entry level hourly rate is the early teens. What about NJ, upstate, and Long Island?