MVA With Injuries

taylor24

Forum Ride Along
I have a scenario for you!

Skills practice for all of you, and answers and knowledge for me! :)

I’m a writer, and part of my current plot involves a car crash.

I’m a member of CERT response teams and have had some first aid training. I’ve also been a civilian role player for all sorts of different scenarios for my local first responders. This is one that we haven’t covered, though. Books and Google searches only provide so much info, not to mention that search queries like this might raise some eyebrows. :)

So I need all of the details and information that you can possibly give me about your response to a scene like this. PLEASE!

Without further ado, here you go:

You are dispatched to the scene of an MVA. Upon arrival, you find two severely damaged vehicles and multiple injured victims.

CAR ONE: This vehicle contains only the driver.

DRIVER: The driver is a male in his early thirties. He is slumped forward in his seat, initially unresponsive, but rouses when you address him. There is a strong smell of alcohol on his breath, and although he is responsive, he is obviously intoxicated. He has a large bleeding laceration on his forehead and minor scrapes and bruises on his face from the impact of the crash, and bruising from his seatbelt. Aside from these, he is uninjured. Upon seeing the crash scene in front of him, he becomes upset, crying and saying things like, “Oh, my God”, “I didn’t mean to”, “My wife is going to kill me”, and “What have I done?”

CAR TWO: This vehicle contains a driver and two passengers.

DRIVER: The driver is a female, age 18. She has no detectable pulse or respirations. Deceased, killed on impact in the crash.

PASSENGER ONE: Female, age 17. Managed to free herself from the car after the crash, and is sitting in the grass a short distance away. She is slightly drowsy, but conscious and mostly responsive, and complains of a severe headache, nausea, and dizziness. Chest and neck are bruised from her seatbelt, and she has several other bruises and superficial bleeding cuts on her body. Her right arm is bruised, swollen, and oddly angled, and she is cradling it against her chest and complaining of pain. She is displaying signs of shock. Respirations are slightly shallow and rapid, skin is pale and clammy, and pulse and heart rate are elevated.

PASSENGER TWO: Female, age 17. Pinned in her seat inside the car, unable to free herself. Conscious and responsive, but clearly very frightened, and displaying signs of shock. Chest and neck are bruised from her seatbelt, and she also has several bruises and cuts on her face, arms, and legs. You can see a large, deep bleeding laceration on her right lower leg. She is complaining of some pain in her neck, numbness and lack of sensation below the waist, and inability to feel or move her legs.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
What's the question? what should be done?

first, call for 3 ambulances, maybe even helicopters depending on where you are.

DOA driver is dead, that sucks.

Passenger 1 is a transport to the trauma center as a trauma patient.

Passenger 2 gets cut out of the car and then taken to the trauma center as a trauma patient.

Drunk driver gets taken to the trauma center as a patient, with PD, and is arrested for DUI. He might even be made a trauma due to the bruising from the seatbelt.

OP
OP
T

taylor24

Forum Ride Along
Books and Google searches only provide so much info, not to mention that search queries like this might raise some eyebrows. :) So I need all of the details and information that you can possibly give me about your response to a scene like this. PLEASE!

I'm unable to edit my original post now, so here's some clarification.

Yes, I'm asking what should be done in this scenario. My training is basic trauma first aid - so in a situation like this I would stop the bleeding, immobilize spinal injury patient somehow, keep concussion patient awake and as alert as possible, and hand them over to the EMS personnel ASAP.

So, when you get that call from dispatch and arrive on this scene:
Triage, who would you treat first?
How do you treat these patients?
What medications would you give them?
Etc etc.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Triage from the first patient you see then work your way to the last patient.

Driver is DOA. She is left where she is.

Drunk guy at a glance is stable. If the bleeding is bad then give him a couple of 4x4s and have him hold it to his head or just tape it on. That's about all that will happen when you are the only unit on scene.

Have a partner calm down patient #1. More then likely she is hyperventilating (sp?). I wouldn't worry about splinting the arm right now. She is holding it against her chest which is acting as a crude splint.

If i am able to get to patient #2 then calm her down and stop the bleeding by direct pressure or tourniquet if necessary. C-collar on her. Check blood pressure and determine if the patient is going into shock. If so then the patient will be getting 1-2 IVs and a bolus of saline to get blood pressure up (I've heard that some places are moving away from saline bolus).

Patient #2 needs to get transported first however since she requires extrication (depending on how long extrication will take) patient #1 will more then likely be transported first.

A little phone call to the trauma hospital to give then a heads up that you have a MVC with 3 patients and one DOA so they can't get ready.

Once more medical personnel get on scene is when more treatment begins such as pain management for the first patient if vitals are stable and it's within protocol. Other then pain management I don't see any other meds being given aside from Zofran possibly given to patient #1 to counteract the nausea side effect that morphine can have.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Basic first aid or CERT or ??level ? Any assistance on hand?

OK basic without help:

Make scene safe/safer against being stricken by other cars (position your car with four-way lights flashing, set out flares or reflectors as is safe; crashed cars may have flares or reflectors too, but even just strewing debris in the lane can help make drivers mindful. If necessary, try to point your headlights at the scene for illumination. Shut off the crashed cars' ignitions.

During your survey, cut trapped woman loose and giver her a compress to hold on her cut leg, or whip one on "for now". Tell her to sit tight.

Call for help, describe the situation.

Go back and stop the bleeding, reassure her. If the walking pt is up and walking around, have her sit with the lac case for mutual reassurance and to tell you if things are not well with either.

Re-check your lone driver. "Alcohol" might be ketones, but not important, you aren't treating his breath. Bruised head with seatbelt? Think steering wheel. Treat as needed, keep coming back to him, maybe even stay with him if other victims are taking care of each other.

Where are the airbags in this scenario? Not medically important but you are writing a story, right?

Go from there.

As a CERT you would have had first responder training (skill maybe untested and unused) if you are level 3, but the first aid at basic level is not designed for civilian occurrences except where you are swamped and no help is coming; don't write off pt's so lightly. Your equipment will be light or none. CERT is not dispatched (nor intended for it by DHS) to such accidents.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Driver of car 1: Minor problem, not time critical or life threatening

Driver of car 2: Deceased
Passenger 1: Moderate problem, urgent but not life threatening
Passenger 2: Serious problem, urgent and potentially life threatening

Driver of car 1 can get checked out and be given to the Police if he has no problems that require immediate referral to a Doctor or hospital. If the Police want him taken to the hospital or seen by a Doctor they can call a Police Medical Officer.

Passenger 1 needs to have her fracture splinted and some pain relief but does not meet major trauma criteria

Passenger 2 needs the Fire Service to cut her out, c-collar and KED, scoop and transport; she meets major trauma criteria and if practical should be taken to a hospital that regularly receives major trauma.

Med Control

Forum Ride Along
BASIC response:

Arrive on scene, general impression of situation is you have a MVA with possible multiple traumas. Call for ALS.

Car one: Talk to driver, he is responsive to verbal and begins to talk, he has a patent airway, patient is breathing, patient has a pulse. Quick rapid trauma assesment, fix up a bandage for the laceration on his head, try to calm the patient down. Stabilize and transport BLS

Car two/ Driver: DOA

Car two/ pass 1: Talk to pass, she is alert and talking, she does have a patient airway, she is breathing shallow and rapid resp with fast pulse rate. Her skin is pale and clammy. Give her some 02 on a non re-breather, asses her arm/ splint if there is enough resources and time to do so on scene, if not then in the ambulance. Take care of all secondary injury's and minor bleeding. Transported BLS

Car two/ pass 2: Talk to pass, she is alert and talking, she does have a patent airway, she is breathing. Hold manual stabilization of her head/ neck until more resources arrive (fire) for rapid retraction, place a c-collar in place, ked, and then stretcher. Transported ALS if arrived on scene

RustyShackleford

Forum Crew Member
I stopped reading at signs of shock, signs of shock to a lay person as compared to ems is a different beast. More information would be nice.

Shrimpfriedrice

Forum Probie
Driver of car 1: Minor problem, not time critical or life threatening

Driver of car 2: Deceased
Passenger 1: Moderate problem, urgent but not life threatening
Passenger 2: Serious problem, urgent and potentially life threatening

Driver of car 1 can get checked out and be given to the Police if he has no problems that require immediate referral to a Doctor or hospital. If the Police want him taken to the hospital or seen by a Doctor they can call a Police Medical Officer.

Passenger 1 needs to have her fracture splinted and some pain relief but does not meet major trauma criteria

Passenger 2 needs the Fire Service to cut her out, c-collar and KED, scoop and transport; she meets major trauma criteria and if practical should be taken to a hospital that regularly receives major trauma.

Psngr 1 DOES meet major trauma criteria based on death in same pt compartment just an fyi.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Psngr 1 DOES meet major trauma criteria based on death in same pt compartment just an fyi.

Based only on outdated and disproven mechanism prediction.

Not based at all on patient assessment.

Shrimpfriedrice

Forum Probie
Based only on outdated and disproven mechanism prediction.

Not based at all on patient assessment.

MOI is not supposed to be based on patient assessment, thats why its a MOI. She meets criteria period! Had the 2 other ppl died and she only sustained a minor sti with no complaints would u rma her?!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
MOI is not supposed to be based on patient assessment, thats why its a MOI. She meets criteria period! Had the 2 other ppl died and she only sustained a minor sti with no complaints would u rma her?!

Maybe, depends on what I found.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

Were the two that died unrestrained? And if they were, where was the damage to the car? what do you find to be the reason for the fatal injuries? Was the one without complaints restrained. Did the one without complaints have anything concerning on the physical exam? If not, then why not?

Shrimpfriedrice

Forum Probie

Then when she died a week later from an unchecked intracranial hemorrhage u'd show up in court when the family sues and say i pick and choose which protocols to follow because i THINK they're outdated? Have fun with that.

Gastudent

Forum Crew Member

I have to agree with this. You might say it's outdated, but Passenger 1 still has signs of shock. She also has an MOI that makes it very likely she has internal bleeding. So since we have to wait for passenger 2 to get extricated from the car as soon as another ambulance arrived passenger one would need to be transported. As for the driver I would say he could wait until the 2 passengers were taken care off. From what I am told in the scenario I don't think he will die any time soon.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Then when she died a week later from an unchecked intracranial hemorrhage u'd show up in court when the family sues and say i pick and choose which protocols to follow because i THINK they're outdated? Have fun with that.

Patient was alert and orientated x4. We could not force the patient to go to the hospital. Patient was advised of all the risks up to an including death. Patient was advised to 911 back if she needed to for any reason. Patient was advised to still seek medical attention at the ER. Patient signed releasing us from all liability.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

Does she haven an injury that has a high level of suspicion for an intracranial hemorrhage? Subdurals don't magically appear because you get refusals. Also, don't sip on so much of the "EMTs will always get sued for getting a refusal" legal koolaid. Do your job, be competent, and don't hide anything and you'll be fine.

Shrimpfriedrice

Forum Probie

Does she haven an injury that has a high level of suspicion for an intracranial hemorrhage? Subdurals don't magically appear because you get refusals. Also, don't sip on so much of the "EMTs will always get sued for getting a refusal" legal koolaid. Do your job, be competent, and don't hide anything and you'll be fine.

i get what an rma is, we're just goin off on a tangent. To bring it all back, the scenario said nothing of an rma. It only came to that because someone alluded that patient assessment is what mattered and not MOI..ppl sustain head trauma that they think is nothing that can become life threatening. In the end thats the protocol that what u go by!

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You really, really need to lay off whatever Kool-aid you've gotten into. MOI is intended to be an ADJUNCT to assessment, not THE assessment. Relying on "Major Trauma Criteria" is outdated at best and negligent at worst. Make your decisions based of patient condition, not the condition of the scene. Occult injuries are really fairly rare.

So lets flip it around and say you force an uninjured patient to go by HEMS because they meet "criteria" and the helicopter crashes enroute to the hospital. Now who's negligent? Good luck using the magical protocol shield...

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Firstly, I don't think they are out dated, I know they are, right down to the history of why they were initially penned.

A week later of an intracranial hemorrhage. After a week, most likely a subdural specifically. Which may or may not have shown up on an emergent CT.

We are then to assume she was not discharged after a day or two of watchful waiting in the hospital?

We would also assume she did not have progressive or constant symptoms which she did not seek medical attention for? (like a seizure)

Based on the meager assessment given here, I agree with Clare, this person does need to get checked out, it is not at this point urgent.

If she wanted to go to the hospital with a friend or family, fine. She is not going to die at this moment and unless her symptoms worsen, most certainly can wait an hour or so.

If she was hell bent on RMA, and capable of making a competent decision, or convincing her parents to permit refusal, then she does with instructions to get checked out or call for help if anything changes.

But if I may?

The death in the same compartment mechanism was written back in the days of steel cars without the impact absorbtion and isolation safety measures today. Additionally, off center impacts usually produce extreme injury in one front seat passenger and lower injuries in the opposite side. (physics)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18271994

"CONCLUSION:

This study identified only five articles on the predictability of the mechanism of injury criteria alone. All studies stated that the mechanism of injury criteria alone are not good predictors of major trauma or the need for trauma team activation. This study was the precursor of a Victorian prehospital study to determine the predictability of the mechanism of injury alone criteria for trauma patients in the Australian context."

Another one for peds!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23188240

"CONCLUSION:

For pediatric trauma patients, the emphasis on APB triage criteria and de-emphasis on MOI results in selection of higher-acuity patients for major activation while maintaining acceptable undertriage and overtriage rates overall. This improved accuracy of major activation results in a more cost-efficient resource use and fewer unnecessary disruptions for the surgeon, operating room, and other staff while maintaining appropriate capture and evaluation of trauma patients. The low sensitivity noted in both the MOI and APB groups is largely caused by the broad definition of HR patients used in this study. We recommend the use of APB criteria for pediatric trauma triage."