Moving to texas! need some help

stellermedic08

Forum Ride Along
I will be moving to Texas soon. I just put in the paper work for reciprocity. Im going . To be moving to the houston/spring area. Im starting to look for jobs. Is there any good places around that area. I would like to do 911 or possibly flight. I have experience in both. So if any one could help me out that would be great. Just want to know good places and bad places. I have 10 + years experience and supervisor experance as well. So if you guys could please help. Thanks

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Pretty sure Houston is all fire based. Sorry cant be much more of help. There are other people here from Texas that will have a lot more info. Welcome!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Check Montgomery county hospital district EMS. Goof agency

TXmedic01

Forum Ride Along
Hello steller
I am a paramedic that lives in the Houston area to work in Houston you have to apply to Houston fire department the hiring process takes 6 months to a year.if you have your paramedic the city will fast track you to start the fire academy. I think the students for the next class have been selected which starts up in March. Another service ypu can check out is Fort Bend co. The pay is low but you run 911 without having to volunteer
(That service is called Community EMS volunteer or no pay) Several of my coworker are going through the hiring process with city and doing the waiting game until they get to the final step they decided to work for a private service and get paid for using their skills There are several trustworthy comanies here that understand building a career for the future and dont seem to get upset by moving forward to better your career

OP
OP
S

stellermedic08

Forum Ride Along
I'm not really looking to do the hole fire department thing. I would rather just do EMS. Are there any County based EMS systems that are good in the area? how about any flight company's? I know I don't really want to do any thing like private company's do. I like 911 and want to stick with that.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Any non private agency is going to be outside of the Houston area if you don't want fire-based.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
ETMC in Pasadena, Galveston city EMS, Harris County Emergency Corps, Washington County, Austin County, a lot of the other counties surrounding, Acadian-Beaumont, etc...

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
ETMC in Pasadena, Galveston city EMS, Harris County Emergency Corps, Washington County, Austin County, a lot of the other counties surrounding, Acadian-Beaumont, etc...
Two more good ones:
Cy Creek EMS
Montgomery County

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Houston fire isn't really EMS, it's more of a fire-based taxi service.

RocKetamine

Forum Crew Member
For non-fire EMS in Houston your best bests are: Harris County Emergency Corps, Cypress Creek EMS, and Montgomery County Hospital District.

Your flight services are Memorial Hermann LifeFight and PHI. LifeFlight seems to have a pretty high turnover rate compared to PHI so you're more likely to find an opening there.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
REACH Air Medical and Eagle Med also have Houston bases. REACH is actively hiring in Houston and will likely have an additional 3-4 fulltime openings in the very near future.

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
Let me jump into this as a freshly-minted emt. I'm putting in the paperwork for reciprocity in Texas, too, and was wondering if you folks had specific suggestions for an EMT job hunting, especially since I want to go to medic school. Wherever I land would have to have a medic school within commuting distance.

As always, thanks!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Let me jump into this as a freshly-minted emt. I'm putting in the paperwork for reciprocity in Texas, too, and was wondering if you folks had specific suggestions for an EMT job hunting, especially since I want to go to medic school. Wherever I land would have to have a medic school within commuting distance.

As always, thanks!
Texas is somewhat large... Do you have an idea of what part of Texas?

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
Texas is somewhat large... Do you have an idea of what part of Texas?

STX,

Thanks for the reply. At this point I'm in the "beggars-can't-be-choosers" portion of my career. Ideally, I would like to make a descent living with a good mixture of calls (i.e., urban, rural, suburb) in a community where I don't have to feel frightened all the time. I come from a city of 160,000 in South Dakota, so I'm used to something pretty family-friendly. That said, I really just want a good company near a good paramedic school, and a place where I can run, cycle, camp, fish, hike, and generally enjoy the outdoors.

How's that?

M.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
STX,

Thanks for the reply. At this point I'm in the "beggars-can't-be-choosers" portion of my career. Ideally, I would like to make a descent living with a good mixture of calls (i.e., urban, rural, suburb) in a community where I don't have to feel frightened all the time. I come from a city of 160,000 in South Dakota, so I'm used to something pretty family-friendly. That said, I really just want a good company near a good paramedic school, and a place where I can run, cycle, camp, fish, hike, and generally enjoy the outdoors.

How's that?

M.
As a baby basic, Austin/Travis might be a good bet

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'll second ATC. Austin is a very nice area, you'll make more there than you would just about anywhere else (other than a large FD), and you'll get great experience. Austin would be hard to beat in your shoes.

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
I'll second ATC. Austin is a very nice area, you'll make more there than you would just about anywhere else (other than a large FD), and you'll get great experience. Austin would be hard to beat in your shoes.

Thanks, STX. I'll check to see how much they're in the hiring mood. I'm looking at the paperwork for Texas on my desk and telling myself, "Go, get your fingerprints done. It'll be worth it." So, hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to Texas I go.