Moving to Georgia

Dcarr

Forum Ride Along
I currently work in Fl as an Emt-B . Was considering moving to Georgia but was wondering what the process is. I am a FL certified and NREMT level EMT B. do I have to retest or what is the process? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance ,
D

Gastudent

Forum Crew Member
Georgia uses the NREMT test as the state test, so as long as you are still NREMT certified then you should be good to go. You will just need to send your NREMT cert to the GA state office of EMS, and they should send you your new license. I am not to sure on how long it takes them though.

heresay

Forum Crew Member
Just a heads up, Georgia doesn't really utilize Basics. Most places require that you are at least an advanced. Good luck on your move!

Gastudent

Forum Crew Member
Just a heads up, Georgia doesn't really utilize Basics. Most places require that you are at least an advanced. Good luck on your move!

It is true that you will not get a job at an emergency service as an EMT-B. You can get a job at a transport service I know a few EMT-B's that work for them. So you do have at least one option.

JoshMM

Forum Probie
I just moved here from Mississippi as a B. I live in Peachtree City and let me tell you what everyone else has already told you. B doesn't mean a thing here. Its the same thing as EMR/First Responder here. Most places won't even let you apply (Fire Departments) unless you have advanced. I was ahead of the curve with B at my department since we did little medical stuff. Here I am way behind the curve. Go ahead and plan on getting Advanced.

--Josh

EMSforever

Forum Probie
I just moved here from Mississippi as a B. I live in Peachtree City and let me tell you what everyone else has already told you. B doesn't mean a thing here. Its the same thing as EMR/First Responder here. Most places won't even let you apply (Fire Departments) unless you have advanced. I was ahead of the curve with B at my department since we did little medical stuff. Here I am way behind the curve. Go ahead and plan on getting Advanced.

--Josh

Theres a few departments around that still hire EMT's, although they will probably push you to go advanced and youve got a much better shot with advanced. Im pretty sure Bartow utilizes EMT's still, and a few non-emergencys like Amtran.

GaMedic

Forum Crew Member
As stated above EMT-Basic doesn't mean jack here. But those that stated places will only hire AEMT's are incorrect. Intermediates are fine, but keep in mind if you work most places in the Metro area. Rural/Metro,Metro Atlanta and I even think Central and Pucket EMS have all moved to Intermediates or AEMT's are nothing more than drivers. As far as Grady goes I don't know their stance on the use of EMTs. I know for a fact that Rural/Metro and Metro Atlanta wont allow Intermediates or AEMT to tech calls because I have a buddies that work at both. Good luck

GaMedic

Forum Crew Member
Theres a few departments around that still hire EMT's, although they will probably push you to go advanced and youve got a much better shot with advanced. Im pretty sure Bartow utilizes EMT's still, and a few non-emergencys like Amtran.

Heard through the grapevine that Bartow is in trouble. Far as Amtran goes yes they do because they are a transport service. Services I know for a fact that use EMTs on ALS and BLS trucks:

Bartow (for now)
Floyd
Gordon
Amtran
Central
Whitfield
Murray
UMR

Edit: Oops forgot: Redmond and Angel

Last edited by a moderator:

JoshMM

Forum Probie
Sorry, I should have stated clearer....Most of the highest paying fire departments in my area have minimum requirements of AEMT just to apply.

--Josh

Squad-6

Forum Probie
Heard through the grapevine that Bartow is in trouble. Far as Amtran goes yes they do because they are a transport service. Services I know for a fact that use EMTs on ALS and BLS trucks:

Bartow (for now)
Floyd
Gordon
Amtran
Central
Whitfield
Murray
UMR

Edit: Oops forgot: Redmond and Angel

Amtran & UMR are the only ones on this list that use Basics. This is because they do not do 911 calls. The rest it is a minimum of EMT Intermediate. I do not even think that the Region 1 EMS office allows basics to work 911 trucks.