Moving to Fort Worth, TX

SeanEddy

Forum Lieutenant
Hey everyone,

I'm moving from Central California by the end of summer and I'm looking for a decent place to work. So far I have applied at MedStar and was looking at CareFlite.

I'm coming from a single-medic 911 system, and I have plenty of experience. Anyone have any pointers on what's a decent place? Also, any suggestions on areas to live?

Thanks!

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Either place has a good reputation, Careflite is mainly IFT but runs back-up 911 to Dallas Fire.

OP
OP
SeanEddy

SeanEddy

Forum Lieutenant
Yea I noticed that after looking through CareFlite's website. I'm mainly looking to work 911 (aren't we all), but I guess I'll have to see what I can get.

I'm liking the way MedStar looks.

Mike Honcho

Forum Probie
Careflite does 911 in Balch Springs, Ferris, Ellis Co, Johnson Co, and Hill Co. If you work on an ALS IFT truck you will get to do a lot of 911 back up. Obviously fulltime in these spots comes with time, but posting in a 911 area mixed in with your normal transfers is nice. Careflite pays the best, and treats you great.

tssemt2010

Forum Lieutenant
after looking into both companies i looked into medstars protocols, they run non emergency to the hospital with full arrest patients, i understand not wanting to mess up the tube placement but it is also critical to get patients into a hospital setting ASAP under those circumstances

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
after looking into both companies i looked into medstars protocols, they run non emergency to the hospital with full arrest patients, i understand not wanting to mess up the tube placement but it is also critical to get patients into a hospital setting ASAP under those circumstances

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH ROFPMSLMAO

Oh wait, you were serious?

*super mega hella gangsta bigass facepalm

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
Any progressive service I know doesn't even transport codes unless its a penetrating trauma with signs of life U/A.
I am also guessing that such a protocol isn't in place to ensure accurate tube placement, I'm guessing it's a safety thing. Early CPR and rapid defib saves arrest patients, not rapid transport to the ER. Plus I know when I work codes in the back there is no seat belts on and we are running red lights, thats a recipe for a lot of dead paramedics in the event of a car accident.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

About the ONLY thing we transport code is patients that have impending respiratory failure in which we can not secure an airway. There may be other situations, but it is still a very uncommon practice for us. Rarely does a cardiac arrest get transported, and ROSC pts go without L&S. I've transported L&S only twice in the last year.

tssemt2010

Forum Lieutenant
Any progressive service I know doesn't even transport codes unless its a penetrating trauma with signs of life U/A.
I am also guessing that such a protocol isn't in place to ensure accurate tube placement, I'm guessing it's a safety thing. Early CPR and rapid defib saves arrest patients, not rapid transport to the ER. Plus I know when I work codes in the back there is no seat belts on and we are running red lights, thats a recipe for a lot of dead paramedics in the event of a car accident.

i know our ambulances where i work all have seatbelts but we also have the lucas device on all of your trucks now too, i did read that it was a combination of factors for the protocol, accidents being one of them, tube placement also had something to do with it and so did chest compressions which is all understandable, maybe im just used to transporting priority 1 with cpr in progress patients

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
maybe im just used to transporting priority 1 with cpr in progress patients
Tradition.jpg

Never stop examining best practices. It may indeed be important to get a very small, very select group of patients to the hospital quickly. Run of the mill cardiac arrest are not one of these groups.

tssemt2010

Forum Lieutenant
Tradition.jpg

Never stop examining best practices. It may indeed be important to get a very small, very select group of patients to the hospital quickly. Run of the mill cardiac arrest are not one of these groups.

i agree with you 100% there

Trevor

Forum Crew Member
Cow Town's not that bad, it's better than say...Beaumont....

Touche'... Of course the firery depths of Hell are probably better then Beaumont... You want pretty women? Come to Austin! And we've got a pretty good EMS system...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
fort worth, great town (parts of it, unfortunately the town is also on the show "cops" frequently lol) oh yeah did i mention the beautiful women?

99% of the time it's the east side and north side... predominately Hispanic (and black) areas. No coincidence.

MedStar has most of Tarrant County, CareFlite has most of Johnson, Wise County is a viable option, Rockwall is as well. AMR has Arlngton, along with Collin and Hunt counties. Grandbury/Hood county just SW of Ft Worth.

ETMC has a couple of SE DFW area counties, and Champion EMS is just east of Dallas.

Plenty of good agencies to choose from... the hard part is getting the interview.

OP
OP
SeanEddy

SeanEddy

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the info. I have an interview with MedStar this coming week. Wish me luck!

MedicSchwanee

Forum Crew Member
I worked for ETMC EMS the past 5 years. It is a good place to work. I left because I was offered a remote medic position, and it quite hasn't worked out yet so now I am applying to other EMS services. I am wanting to work 911 because that is all I have done. I have applied at Medstar, Beaumont, Baytown, does anyone know any other 911 services that are hiring???? Any help would be much appreciated.

OP
OP
SeanEddy

SeanEddy

Forum Lieutenant
As it turns out, I didn't get the job with MedStar, which is a little surprising and upsetting. I passed my on-line tests, and I thought I did fairly well in the interview. Although I did struggle with the clinical interview. I have plenty of single-medic 911 experience too. I guess you can't win them all :(

For now I'm still looking for decent places to work in the DFW area. I still have an app in at CareFlite and I'm currently looking into some of places that were previously mentioned. Thanks again, everyone, for the good info!