Motorcycle EMS riders????

TgerFoxMark

Forum Lieutenant
Im a rider too, 82 Yamaha Maxim 750.. Its old, its finiky, it likes to piss me off...
Just like my old rig.

Indianapolis area would be great in my opinion... Its a bit short notice for this year, but a meetup at FDIC? (yeah yeah yeah. its fire orented... its more EMS heavy not)

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Auckland has reintroduced selected Intensive Care Paramedics on motorbikes; they were around in the mid 1990s but are apprently back again!

Not my fortae thats for sure!

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
Had a number of bikes and loved to roadrace at the track... But all have been stolen. I'm not getting another bike for a while (probly this summer once I'm settled in Denver).
List I've had
07 EX500R (Stupid driver didn't look as she turned left in front of me. Lots of pain for me)
08 EX650R (stolen twice! Had 04 636 front end and race plastics mounted with street cut, along with other performance mods)
08 ZX-6R (stolen)
73 CB500K3 (stolen)

Wow...just...

Wow...

How? How is that even possible?! :sad:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Wow...just...

Wow...

How? How is that even possible?! :sad:

Very possible when you live only 4 hours or so from the Mexican border. All the bikes that were stolen had alarms on and locked with a solid chain to something big, heavy, and not easily destroyed or moved.

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
Very possible when you live only 4 hours or so from the Mexican border. All the bikes that were stolen had alarms on and locked with a solid chain to something big, heavy, and not easily destroyed or moved.

God, I'm so sorry. Insurance?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
God, I'm so sorry. Insurance?

They took care of me on all but the 73... but I only paid 200 for that one. I'm looking at a ZX-636 that's for sale up here near Denver now :) Wanting a bike bad now that I'm seeing the other bikes around. Maybe once I sell my truck and get a Jeep picked up I can work on getting a SS again

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
They took care of me on all but the 73... but I only paid 200 for that one. I'm looking at a ZX-636 that's for sale up here near Denver now :) Wanting a bike bad now that I'm seeing the other bikes around. Maybe once I sell my truck and get a Jeep picked up I can work on getting a SS again

Well best of luck ^_^

Whittier

Forum Probie
I've got a nice little CR250 that I take to the Oceano Dunes all the time. I'd love to eventually get me a 03ish Indian Roadmaster to cruise around on.... one day! B)

maksim

Forum Probie
I see many riders on here :)
0_25944_92806b05_L

NickD

Forum Crew Member
Just an update on my build . . .

I installed the belt drive and I'm doing the wiring now. Exhaust pipes are coming this week!

Getting close to pushing the start button . . .

Nina_Outside_2.jpg

Laid on the paint in my garage. I built myself a hillbilly paint booth (just plastic sheathing) but it worked all right.

Work5.jpg

Belt drive is on all square and true.

Rear_Fender_Panel_Beater.jpg

The rear fender was a kind of a dealio. It didn't, at first, fit the radius of the rear tire. So I had to cut wedges
out of it, bend it to fit, and then re-weld it all back together. The tough part was smoothing out the welds while
keeping the correct contours.

Buffing_Out_Rear_Fender.jpg

Had to make a relief cut in the fender to clear the rear chain drive. Here
I'm just burnishing the edges.

Volt_Reg_Mount.jpg

Starting to fab up a mount for the regulator.

Volt_Reg.jpg

Regulator installed.

Battery_Holddown.jpg

I had a very cool battery box I built early on in the project. But it turned out it wouldn't clear the starter solenoid
so reluctantly I had to build a lessor battery hold down system. Not bad, I can live with it.

Programable_Ignition.jpg

Put in a programmable ignition. These are pretty cool and beat the hell out of the older type points and
condenser ignition systems. You can set it up the way you want with dip switches plus you can download
total engine hours, cycles (start ups) and a host of other neat info . . .

:)

maksim

Forum Probie
TraprMike
My father and uncle went to the Urals.
Just we had no other bikes then:))
NickD
Nice customs!

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
2006 Ural Tourist. made in Russia in the Ural Mountains of Siberia..
Very nice.

I don't know how I missed this thread back in Feb. Probably too busy studying for my Intermediate.

I'll admit, I haven't been on a bike in close to 20 years and even when I did (occasionally) ride friends bikes they were little 200cc dirt bikes. I'd probably kill myself on a street bike today. HOWEVER, I have said for the last couple years that if I DO get a bike, it'll be a Ural. I'm actually kinda looking at the patrol model. I like that two wheel drive aspect of it. Not that I'd be taking it offroad much, it'd just be nice to have. I'm (happily) surprised to see someone else here rides them.

curt

Forum Crew Member
I've been riding for a few years, but I'm a newbie at wrench turning on motorbikes. I recently tried to change the oil in my '02 Honda Shadow (600 ccs, definitely looking to upgrade, it handles like a brick) and ended up adding more oil back than I was supposed to after I was done ruining the floor of my garage with oil stains. I'd attempted to improvise an oil pan with a disposable paint tray- didn't end too well. Now I've got 2.7 quarts in a 2.1 quart reservoir because, like a genius, I was checking the oil while the bike was on the kickstand instead of holding it level. Got a strange feeling that I'm going to have to start over before I can ride it again- which is agitating, as I pretty much missed riding in early spring. >:{

NickD

Forum Crew Member
I bought a '94 600 Honda VLX for my GF when she was learning to ride. It was a pretty neat machine. I had it for three or four years and never had to touch it with a wrench. (You gotta hand it to Mr. Honda when it comes to reliability!)

On the oil thing - I've forgotten how the oil tank is setup, but can't you just use a turkey baster to suck some out?

There's a lot of fellows making Bobbers out VLXs nowadays and there's a large choice of aftermarket parts being made for them. I poked a hole in the baffles on the one we had and it damn near sounded as good as a Harley! It also had a cool look and an aggressive stance for a small cruiser and one of the best "softail" looks I've seen on any bike, Harley's included. I'm actually thinking of picking up another one to chop after I finish my current project. There's even a company that makes a complete "bobber" kit you can purchase for the VLX: http://bluecollarbobbers.com/web/Flat-Black-Honda-Shadow-600.html

Here's some examples of Bobbed VLXs . . .

vlx1a.jpg

vlx2-1.jpg

vlx3.jpg

Here's what they sound like with the baffles punched out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=_0r9cklYflc&feature=channel

:)

maksim

Forum Probie
Respeckt!
Sometime im making Bobber out my VLX 96
vlx1a.jpg

I think, this bike have the cobra exhaust?

Last edited by a moderator:

jerm

Forum Ride Along
Here's my baby. 2000 Ducati 748 w/853 big bore kit. This is it in track plastics.
100_2945.jpg

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
Very nice.

I don't know how I missed this thread back in Feb. Probably too busy studying for my Intermediate.

I'll admit, I haven't been on a bike in close to 20 years and even when I did (occasionally) ride friends bikes they were little 200cc dirt bikes. I'd probably kill myself on a street bike today. HOWEVER, I have said for the last couple years that if I DO get a bike, it'll be a Ural. I'm actually kinda looking at the patrol model. I like that two wheel drive aspect of it. Not that I'd be taking it offroad much, it'd just be nice to have. I'm (happily) surprised to see someone else here rides them.

the Ural is definatly a crowd gather'er... the UDF runs high most of the time.
it's not a fast bike, not a show bike, very little chrome. but it's fun to ride, and what other m/c comes with a machine gun mount as factory stock?? !! or at least used to (back in 06 the Gear Up's did). and now at least offer it as a factory option.. LOL..
ya, I've been known to leave a spent AK casing where I park, to mark my spot, like HD marks there spot..

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
It's not a fast bike, not a show bike, very little chrome. but it's fun to ride, and what other m/c comes with a machine gun mount as factory stock?? !! or at least used to (back in 06 the Gear Up's did). and now at least offer it as a factory option.. LOL..
And, ya see, that's just it, if I DO get a motorcycle, I don't want a 'crotch rocket' that I'm gonna kill myself on ( no offense, jerm, but I'd KILL myself on the Ducatti) and I don't want a 'cruiser' because I'd probably drop the thing within a week and break something (Nick, that's a BEAUTIFUL bike and I'm jealous if your fabrication skills, but I really would break something unintentionally ). I want something that's gonna get me from point A to point B and I can have a bit of fun doing it. I'm leaning toward the Patrol model simply for it's 2 wheel drive ability. I don't think the Gear Up has it (but I might be wrong, I haven't looked for a while), although I really do like the paint job for it.

Last edited by a moderator: