Motorcycle EMS riders????

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
You know . . .

The more I think about this, a Grass Roots EMS Ride-In, the more I like the idea.

Some thoughts; While I can't claim we are pals or anything I've had some contact with Dr. Bryan Bledsoe in the past and I'd feel comfortable asking him to come. He'd be a great spokesperson for us. (If you don't know who he is check your old EMT textbook as he most likely wrote it.)

Last year I did this silly spoof video about that TV show "Trauma" and Dr. Bledsoe forwarded it to none other that Randolph Mantooth (Johnny Gage from "Emergency") and Dr. Bledsoe told me Mr. Mantooth laughed his *** off over it. Mr. Mantooth also has in the past appeared at formal EMS conventions and speaks up for us little guys in terms of pay and working conditions. So who knows - maybe we could get him to show up too. Wouldn't that be cool! I'm not sure if he does these appearances for pay or not, but if he does I'll be the first one to pony up. I'm in EMS because of him! There's more than few vids online of him speaking so here's just a short one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0rtgLQUFU

I don't know if either of them ride, but we could rent a couple of Softails so at least they could roll up in front of everyone.

Do you think we'd have to hire a local EMS outfit to sit stand-by for such an event, or would we pretty much have that covered, LOL!

:)

if you really want to do this and theres enough interest from people on this forum then i'd be more then willing to help set everything up

SnowMedic

Forum Probie
:wub::wub:I'm a newer rider, only been riding since summer of 2008 and bought my Harley Sportster 1200C in 2008 as well. I was planning on buying new but then I fell in love with my little bike. I put a pink bandana on it to make it more girly lol.... It's a bit of a boys sport still so I like to let everyone know that I ride bikes but I still like boys

Motojunkie

Forum Lieutenant
I'd probably be up for a meeting, depending on when it is. I'd throw my vote in for the Tennessee/North Carolina area. The roads there are heaven for motorcycles.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
I'd probably be up for a meeting, depending on when it is. I'd throw my vote in for the Tennessee/North Carolina area. The roads there are heaven for motorcycles.

I'd have to say for the best roads to ride on would probably be the *dragon* in Tennessee. But you have to remember that there are some that are probably new riders who don't have the experience to ride the dragon. So for a meet and to hang out I would have to again suggest either gateway race track by stlouis or the tirerack in south bend indiana.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Best Roads in US Suitable for All IMHO

I'd say, East Coast, Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive to Motorcycle Races at York, PA. (Best in July)

West Coast, Through Idaho following the Snake River, up to Flathead Lake, Montana (best in August).

(If you want me to ride, you'll have to float out to Maui!)

NickD

Forum Crew Member
That wouldn't be too great for us on the west coast. The geographical center of the country is Lebanon, Kansas. So somewhere around there might be the fairest thing.

I've been thinking about this more and of course we'd have to get the word out further than just this website. One thing that appeals to me about this is we spend a lot of time under everyone else's thumb. We're subject to medical control, forced to pay dues to the NREMT, preached to by Jems, yelled at by cranky nurses, and often ignored by doctors and just about everyone else.

But here's something we could do for ourselves by ourselves.

And to look out over a Kansas field containing a couple thousand EMS folks enjoying themselves here's what I would see. I wouldn't see EMTs, I wouldn't see Paramedics, I wouldn't see Fire Guys and I wouldn't see Private Guys, nor paid guys or volunteer guys.

All I would see is Guardian Angels . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
That wouldn't be too great for us on the west coast. The geographical center of the country is Lebanon, Kansas. So somewhere around there might be the fairest thing.

I've been thinking about this more and of course we'd have to get the word out further than just this website. One thing that appeals to me about this is we spend a lot of time under everyone else's thumb. We're subject to medical control, forced to pay dues to the NREMT, preached to by Jems, yelled at by cranky nurses, and often ignored by doctors and just about everyone else.

But here's something we could do for ourselves by ourselves.

And to look out over a Kansas field containing a couple thousand EMS folks enjoying themselves here's what I would see. I wouldn't see EMTs, I wouldn't see Paramedics, I wouldn't see Fire Guys and I wouldn't see Private Guys, nor paid guys or volunteer guys.

All I would see is Guardian Angels . . .

I would have to agree with you. Also when we did our car club meets we had shirts made up and even window decals and bumper stickers. This could be a way to show that we are a strong and proud community.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
I'd say, East Coast, Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive to Motorcycle Races at York, PA. (Best in July)

West Coast, Through Idaho following the Snake River, up to Flathead Lake, Montana (best in August).

(If you want me to ride, you'll have to float out to Maui!)

heck just box up your bike and come over to the mainland lol. or you could rent one or maybe someone would have a spare bike to let you borrow for the ride

NickD

Forum Crew Member
LOL, yeah we are going to have to chip in and bring firetender over to the mainland. If there's an award for "furthest traveled" he'd have a good shot at it. And renting a bike is good too. Those are always the first into the burnout pit.

I lived in in Kailua on Oahu for two years in the 1970s. As beautiful as it was I had rock fever badly and needed some open road . . .

This thing needs to be all EMS. If we get a band (and we will) they need to be all EMS. If there's a beer concession the bartenders need to be all EMS. The Go Go Girls we'll have dancing in stage cages will be all EMS and so will the wet t-shirt contestants. If we get a tat guy I'll go with a pro and drop the EMS requirement, but he's got to be able to lay down some killer EMS tats.

The logistics of something like this are a PITA. But one thing we've got going for us is some amount of good will. I could see sitting down with the local mayor and saying, "Look, your honor, these are the people who give all when someone's in trouble, and they deserve a break. So if you could just see your way clear to waiving these fees, and those requirements, and making sure the cops don't hassle us, that would be great and we'd really appreciate it. But if not the headline in tomorrow's Lebanon Tribune (or whatever it is) is going to read "Mayor Shuns First Responders" in 18 point type . . ."

Last edited by a moderator:

Micro_87

Forum Crew Member
I own a 2007 GSXR 1000 (blue Edition)

NickD

Forum Crew Member
That's over a dozen riders (by rough count) who could possibly attend and this thread's only been up a short time. Extrapolate across all the other EMS forums and add a long enough lead time, and this could really snow ball.

I suppose a quick and dirty bike show also would be easy enough to pull off with classes to include most folks, like homebuilt, pro-built, stock modified and so on. I didn't mention it so far but this, of course, would be open to all EMSers on two or three wheels and their families.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Yew we wouldn't discriminate against street and sport bikes. everyone will be welcome. I know some people that do shirts pretty cheap im sure I could get something rolling with them. My basic teacher is in a band and still holds his basic license. maybe I could get him to get his band together if they are any good. Also I know a guy in beer distribution that might be able to help us out. And one of my best friends is a literal millionaire so maybe maybe I could get him to do something.

NickD

Forum Crew Member
That's sounds promising Travis. I'm starting to keep a list of everyone willing to work behind the scenes. And as long as your teacher and his band can absolutely nail "Born to be Wild" it's all right with me if the fake their way through everything else. ;)

I'm also a fair hand on rock bass guitar, but I'll be too busy, I'm sure, coordinating the wet t-shirt to be of any use there . . .

SnowMedic

Forum Probie
I'd have to say for the best roads to ride on would probably be the *dragon* in Tennessee.

I AM doing the dragon this year so if this is the area that you guys end up meeting then count me in. I'm good for the go go dancing too (used to teach dance) but count me out for the wet t-shirt ..... been there done that lol

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
I AM doing the dragon this year so if this is the area that you guys end up meeting then count me in. I'm good for the go go dancing too (used to teach dance) but count me out for the wet t-shirt ..... been there done that lol

ah come on.. i'll be the head judge at the wet t contest.. i'll throw in a couple extra points lol

Motojunkie

Forum Lieutenant
So we're not going to go on any kind of group ride? I think it would be awesome if we all rode some twisties as a group.

terrible one

Always wandering
I love Riding! Just got my new Michellins! (need updated pics)

n510003049_314661_4933.jpg

NickD

Forum Crew Member
Well I think as it is now there will be a lot of riding just to get there for most. But in a way you're right. We should and probably would hold some type of scheduled ride once we are all there. You know, show the flag and all.

And that brings up another issue. How long does this thing go? A weekend, a long weekend, a week? How much vacation do most of us get a year? Right now I could swing a week or two, heck, EMT jobs are plentiful enough around me I'd quit to go . . .

But I am hoping to start Paramedic school soon, and once enrolled I wouldn't blow that off for anything. But I'm sure I could still get away for a long weekend.

Oh, and Snow Medic, with your pro experience I just wrote you down for cage dancer coordinator.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Well I think as it is now there will be a lot of riding just to get there for most. But in a way you're right. We should and probably would hold some type of scheduled ride once we are all there. You know, show the flag and all.

And that brings up another issue. How long does this thing go? A weekend, a long weekend, a week? How much vacation do most of us get a year? Right now I could swing a week or two, heck, EMT jobs are plentiful enough around me I'd quit to go . . .

But I am hoping to start Paramedic school soon, and once enrolled I wouldn't blow that off for anything. But I'm sure I could still get away for a long weekend.

Oh, and Snow Medic, with your pro experience I just wrote you down for cage dancer coordinator.

i'd say maybe a long weekend. Don't think very many people would be able to swing a whole week. We could do some sort of poker run for a group ride or just have a nice little road trip planned out. we could have a smoke off event for those of us who can go through some tread lol. hell there are so many things we could do..