Most glutose administered to a patient

medic417

The Truth Provider

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't understand you blokes transporting so many diabetics. The discharge criteria of EDs is the identification of a cause and the quick resolution of symptoms. Vast majority of cases fit this criteria. Even if the cause isn't overt, mostly its an issue for the GP. AMA/refusal aside.

I avoid the glutose tubes like the plague. They taste terrible. Does anybody know why they haven't made something a bit more appetising? I've been wondering that for a while. There is usually something in the pt's house. One tube at the most. Given how long you have to wait for the tubes to work I don't think I fancy leaving a person with a symptomatically low sugar for more than one tubes worth of waiting time before dextrose/glucagon.

If they aren't orientated, they have to go to the hospital.

Why?

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
They taste terrible. Does anybody know why they haven't made something a bit more appetising? I've been wondering that for a while.

I've been told by our medical advisors that Cakemate, a brand name for a squeeze tube of cake icing would be an excellent replacement for oral glucose.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Does anybody know why they haven't made something a bit more appetising?

I've been told by our medical advisors that Cakemate, a brand name for a squeeze tube of cake icing would be an excellent replacement for oral glucose.

It's called honey. My medical director actually told me I was welcome to carry it on the rig if I so desired. That was quite alright with me given my habit of drinking tea quite frequently.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Again? Glucagon?

Sent from my iPhone.

If you need to give Glucagon then the patient needs to be transported. The pt i had was alert and oriented after glutose and drinking juices etc. If it wouldn't have been increasing and her mental status steadily getting better, I would have given glucagon and transported.