Military to EMT?

Tux

Forum Ride Along
Brand spankin new to the forum so cut me a wee bit of slack,
Im currently active military about to EAS and Ive been drifting around potential careers. Being an EMT appeals to me for a couple of reasons and Ive decided that even if all i become is a burger flipper i still want the knowledge. I would love to (or think i would) make EMS a career or at least have the option to.
So heres my questions,

-Im 22, no work history (run and gun isnt much of a history), no real training and im feeling behind the times so to speak. Whats your guys opinion on the fast track courses? Are they any good? Would you recommend the online one?

-Anyone have a rough time line on how long it would take to go from no training to first pay check? including on the job training and experience.

-I hate being put in a job not knowing what im doing, whats the easiest way to get experience/ confidence. I would rather be broke then put in a position i wasnt ready for. I wouldnt want there to be a learning curve if i was on the stretcher.

-Im going to be living in Oregon and assuming EMT-B is just a start, what paths should i choose as far as best experience and job opportunities?

-Lastly (ill spread load other questions for later) Ive seen the realities of care takers getting burnt out and i know that its not just an if, but a when. What is the long term fix for it? I read a thread about "seasonal" jobs, and that idea is very promising just so that you can mix it up, but what happens once the season ends? Is it start from scratch looking for a new job, or is your old job waiting for you to return?

I appreciate any advice and any salty member could share. Feel free to critique.
If i dont respond soon . . . my job is demanding and sometimes sleep is more important. You understand. That being said Good night(or appropriate greeting of the day) and thank you for your time and and i hope i never end up looking up at you(and if i do its something serious enough to warrent your time but not serious enough to ruin my week). Knock on wood.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
In Oregon you won't find many EMT-B jobs, as a matter of fact there aren't many paramedic jobs either. Where will you be in Oregon?

You're best option is to just go to one of the community colleges to get your EMT-B, then if you decide on a career in EMS you can go on to get your paramedic cert. and your EMS degree. A lot EMS in the more rural locations is fire-based, so if you could be a firefighter, that's an option as well. The metropolitan areas are mostly covered by private ambulance, that'll be your best bet at getting a job.

Just make sure that EMS is for you, do it because it's something you really want to do, not just for a job.

Sent from my mobile command center

OP
OP
T

Tux

Forum Ride Along
Ill be living 30 min from Seaside, at least for school anyway. Im thinking ill get certed and then get the training to be a wildland fire fighter. Would like to get a job with ems though to get the experience before heading out into the field.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Wildland firefighting is probably going to be your best bet out here during the summer. I can't tell you too much about EMS in Seaside, but I'm pretty sure that they're private ambulance. The service up there should be Medix, they're part of the MetroWest corporation up in Washington county. Clatsop Community College will probably be your best option at getting an EMT cert. up there, however, I think they only offer up to EMT-Intermediate, so if you want to get your EMS degree and be a paramedic then you're going to have to head to Portland probably (at least I think that would be closest). Feel free to PM me with questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Addicted2Narcan

Forum Probie
Not to knock EMS, but have you considered law enforcement? You have good experience if you're ex-military and have a clean record. EMS is fun but in a lot of places it's not a career, it's a job. You don't get the pay or benefits that firefighters and police officers get, and you put up with a lot of the same BS.

OP
OP
T

Tux

Forum Ride Along
Ive considered being a cop, but only in passing. Its not what i want to do. If i did do it, it would be only a job like private security. Weapons tend to attract a certain attitude that Ive had enough of. As far as benefits, well im young and invincible.

"Clatsop Community College will probably be your best option at getting an EMT cert."
Is that because its a good school, or just local?

I dont mind private firms, dont really know what the difference between the two entails, I just want to get some experience. First things first though and thats actually moving back up into green territory. From there Ill look into closest schools. So is one community college just as good as another to get certed from?

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
In Oregon you won't find many EMT-B jobs, as a matter of fact there aren't many paramedic jobs either.
^ This.

To be honest, this thread should be titled, "Employed to Unemployed,"

OP
OP
T

Tux

Forum Ride Along
. . . thanks for that little pick me up. Well in any case its just the training i need in Oregon. As long as i can get certed and go on enough ride alongs, i dont mind relocating once i have something to take with me.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I only recommend Clatsop Community College because it's closest, I've never actually heard anything about their program. The best programs in Oregon (from what I've read/heard) are up in Portland at OHSU and at Chemeketa Community College in Eugene.

Try not to let the lack of employment discourage you, especially if EMS is something you really want to do. Just make sure you do your research, find a good program and study hard.

OP
OP
T

Tux

Forum Ride Along
To sum things up,
-Make sure this is what i want to do
-Slim chance of getting a job in Oregon
-Look further into wildlands fire fighting
-Community College for basic

Ill look into Chemeketa and see if theres anyway to live close by it, right now Im just going to worry about getting quality training in a timely manner. Ill worry about location and a job later.

Many thanks for the information and your advice.
(so do i close this thread now, or just let it drift off into oblivion?)

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Many thanks for the information and your advice.
(so do i close this thread now, or just let it drift off into oblivion?)

Threads can remain open. You don't have the option to close them.

guttruck

Forum Crew Member
IMO go and get your EMT-B then EMT-P. You can always move to find work (you were in the Military I'm sure your use to it). Getting some sort of education is always a good idea after military service.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
IMO go and get your EMT-B then EMT-P. You can always move to find work (you were in the Military I'm sure your use to it). Getting some sort of education is always a good idea after military service.
Great advice. It may be too late to mention this, but it's a great idea to get education during military service too.