Michigan: Where are we hiring

Hockey

Quackers
I'm looking for a new job, and looking pretty fast.

Anyone know who is hiring? Salary?

Star EMS in Pontiac any good?

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
As a native Michigander, it's looking pretty ugly. Look into transport companies, like MIR, or something like that. So many departments up there don't run their own EMS, and contract out transport companies instead. They'll dedicate an ambulance to cover an area, and they'll post out there somewhere and respond along side the fire department for emergency calls.

But honestly? You're looking for a needle in a haystack. Nurses are the one thing with job opportunities in Michigan, and only if you're already an RN when you get there. Trying to go to school while in Michigan is near impossible, with clinicals being so competed for right now that you may have to wait for a couple semesters after a class just to take the attached clinical session.

Good luck to you, man, but you might want to think about getting out of state for a little while. We're going back to Michigan real soon, hopefully, but not until the wife is out of the Navy and I'm out of school.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm looking for a new job, and looking pretty fast.

Anyone know who is hiring? Salary?

Star EMS in Pontiac any good?

Star EMS is good, however not hiring basics. They'll interview you though, they interview everyone. Try Community.
Rumor has it that Detroit EMS will be starting another hiring cycle in July. So check the City's website often in July.

Trying to go to school while in Michigan is near impossible, with clinicals being so competed for right now that you may have to wait for a couple semesters after a class just to take the attached clinical session.

That only depends on where you go. My Paramedic school has open clinical times. Just about any time I'd like to do a clinical... the slot is open.

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
And laid off today

Wow

I applied at Clinton Area Ambulance Service, Lansing-Mason (sounds semi-promising) and Mercy (Lansing)

Anybody?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Why did you lose your job?

I don't know of any else in the area that are hiring.

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
Why did you lose your job?

I don't know of any else in the area that are hiring.

5 of us gone

One base went ALS bumping us off the schedule

They swore they were getting a transfer contract (which I knew would fall through but for some reason they believed it) and they started a day car which is fine but the day car is the only backup truck they had and when they realized finally they didn't have the contract and one of the trucks blew up basically, lots of people got screwed by the pooch

This was only a temp place anyway. Had and still has bad rep for people not getting paid, bad equipment, neglected trucks...you know...one of those places OSHA loves ;)

Shabo

Forum Probie
I was just talking to the head of hiring for an area transport service a week or two ago,and she said that they average 10 basic applications A DAY without advertising. Needless to say the basic market in the area is stuffed to capacity, and then some. I wish you the best of luck in finding a position... You might have some luck with an ER until you find another ride.

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
I was just talking to the head of hiring for an area transport service a week or two ago,and she said that they average 10 basic applications A DAY without advertising. Needless to say the basic market in the area is stuffed to capacity, and then some. I wish you the best of luck in finding a position... You might have some luck with an ER until you find another ride.

Yeah the market here is flooded with them and its wrong that it is. These schools are telling people that you can get a job without any problem at all

And I have experience so

Hastings

Noobie
Calhoun and Branch county. Kalamazoo as well. Ingham is fire. Washtenaw is limited. Much of the east is fire, and limited opportunities in the north.

In other words, the Southwest.

I believe LifeCare in Calhoun just hired many new basics AND medics. Pride and Life in Kalamazoo often have openings. DVA in Flint, but only because the people I know that choose that company never stay long.

As for the others, Mercy of Lansing is...just no. Don't do it. Seriously. I couldn't possibly feel stronger about a service. Lansing-Mason is pretty decent. Macomb? Boring. Poor pay. Not worth it.

Seriously though, hiring is off the charts from Battle Creek to Coldwater. Kalamazoo to (sometimes) the area of HVA. HVA is good, but I'm iffy on whether they have a need for Basics right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
Calhoun and Branch county. Kalamazoo as well. Ingham is fire. Washtenaw is limited. Much of the east is fire, and limited opportunities in the north.

In other words, the Southwest.

I believe LifeCare in Calhoun just hired many new basics AND medics. Pride and Life in Kalamazoo often have openings. DVA in Flint, but only because the people I know that choose that company never stay long.

As for the others, Mercy of Lansing is...just no. Don't do it. Seriously. I couldn't possibly feel stronger about a service. Lansing-Mason is pretty decent. Macomb? Boring. Poor pay. Not worth it.

Seriously though, hiring is off the charts from Battle Creek to Coldwater. Kalamazoo to (sometimes) the area of HVA. HVA is good, but I'm iffy on whether they have a need for Basics right now.

I stopped by Mercy and yeah...I agree...They put you on the wheelchair car for a while. Sorry, I do have experience, I didn't become an EMT to push a wheelchair around. Flame me for it, but its my choice.

DVA isn't hiring. Notta in GenCo is really hiring hiring and if so, no hours. Lansing-Mason has my app right now so who knows. I'm going to metro Detroit for Rapid and Star EMS. May check out some others. I'd like to hit the SW side of the state but its a distance kinda.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
If you're going to Oakland County I'd check out Star EMS, Alliance Mobile Health, Community EMS, and Superior Ambulance.

It also looks like Huron Valley Ambulance, Jackson County Ambulance, and LCA Adrian are hiring EMT-Basics.

Hastings

Noobie
I'd like to hit the SW side of the state but its a distance kinda.

Well, it's true, there aren't a lot of opportunities for EMTs east/north of Lansing. If you really want a decent job as a Basic, you may have to make a bit of a move. I had to. But I'm just letting you know that there are places in Michigan where companies are growing/changing so rapidly that they're hiring 8 Basics and 8 Medics about every 2-3 months.

Of those mentioned closer to the greater Lansing area though, JCA, HVA, and Lansing-Mason are the three services I can personally say are solid services. And to the west, LifeCare and Life.

At least, compared to Mercy. Though there is little worse, in my humble opinion.

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
There are no full-time openings at HVA for basics or medics, they are hiring part-time though.

I would stay away from Rapid Response and Medic One.

Star and Alliance are both solid companies with good reputations. Community EMS is always hiring, and has been around a long time. Concord EMS is okay, and may be. Healthlink is okay, but isn't hiring full-time basics.

Private EMS in Wayne County isn't the greatest, but with your experience you'll do fine.

Hastings

Noobie
There are no full-time openings at HVA for basics or medics, they are hiring part-time though.

I would stay away from Rapid Response and Medic One.

Star and Alliance are both solid companies with good reputations. Community EMS is always hiring, and has been around a long time. Concord EMS is okay, and may be. Healthlink is okay, but isn't hiring full-time basics.

Private EMS in Wayne County isn't the greatest, but with your experience you'll do fine.

I hear HVA is quite the experience.

And by that, I mean being written up if you're wearing a long sleeved uniform shirt on a warm day.

What say you?

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
Does Superior Ambulance wear ties?!?!

Team.jpg

Sasha

Forum Chief
Does Superior Ambulance wear ties?!?!

Team.jpg

Apparently, according first row, middle girl, they wear their hair in their faces.

And ties are a terrible idea. Woohoo, one more thing for your patient to strangle you with!