Menstrual blood loss

Sasha

Forum Chief
I can't imagine pulling a cup full of blood out of your vagina and calling it "cleaner".

Yuck.

I'm sure it spills.

18G

Paramedic
I can take a blood splattered room, ambulance, whatever... but for some reason envisioning this blood filled cup and it maybe spilling as its being taken out kinda makes my stomach turn...lol.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
You know, obsserving American culture about issues relating to reproduction and it's systems is extremely entertaining.

Perhaps I have just had too much exposure to the whole thing and I am desensitized, but it really is not so bad.

But part of it is by villianizing female reproduction, (most common descriptors) dirty, nasty, disgusting, it actually disuades people from learning or becomming familiar with it.

The whole female reproductive system is organism protective. Menstrual bleeding is really no different than nose bleeding, or bleeding from the mouth.

Nobody seems to think it is too terrible when reproducing. Why would you any other time?

MEDIC802

Forum Crew Member
Hey yall Know what used tampons are good for............................
answer: TEA BAGS FOR VAMPIRES, HA HA HA HA , thats funny I dont care who you are.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Vene, it's funny you brought that up. We just got done with our GI final and the test was on display today so that we can review our exam and what we got wrong. One of the administrative assisstants ended up looking through the image packet and was somewhat disgusted and I casually made the comment along the lines of 'at least it wasn't last month when we were doing reproduction, but we don't know when the next slide is going to have a penis or vagina on it anyways.' The response was comical.

On a side note, we're using Clinical Dermatology by Habif for our derm system and it's got a picture straight up immitating Goatse in it...

Sasha

Forum Chief
I find cups of blood kind of nasty and don't want to play in it, regardless of what orifice or stoma it comes from.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Actually, I have a strong dislike for a blood soaked pad being held against my skin. I would rather deal with the cup or a tampon than pads most days.

Removing a tampon is the same level of "mess" as removing the cup. Just wash your hands. *shrug* Being a girl, it's not like you can get girl cooties from it. ;)

It's actually kind of sad to see women on this thread describing normal female stuff as unclean, nasty, and gross.

JPINFV

Gadfly
It's actually kind of sad to see women on this thread describing normal female stuff as unclean, nasty, and gross.

Why? There are plenty of other normal human things that are unclean, nasty, and gross that has nothing to do with blood and uterus parts falling out through the bojingo. However, I do believe that there's a difference between thinking that a specific bodily process is unclean, nasty, and gross, and recoiling at it because someone doesn't realize that it's natural.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
hyaluronic acid is hylauronic acid no matter which part of the body it comes from.

Nobody gets groosed out over synovial fluid.

Why is it suddenly different when excreted from a Bartholin gland?

Nobody gets all excited when blood comes from a cut on the arm.

Why is it suddenly different when it comes out of a body cavity that by function is inhospitable to pathogenic organisms?

Doesn't that make it "clean?"

Endometrial tissue?

I bet I could serve it with jello as a dessert and if I didn't tell people what it was, they would probably not only eat it but compliment the appearance.

There are just some things about people I will never understand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
the bojingo.

Not gonna lie, I'm rather startled to hear someone in the medical profession avoid saying "vagina" and use a silly slang term instead. I'm used to that from the immature teenagers I teach.

Hockey

Quackers
Not gonna lie, I'm rather startled to hear someone in the medical profession avoid saying "vagina" and use a silly slang term instead. I'm used to that from the immature teenagers I teach.

:rolleyes:

When calling the hospital, protocol here says we must call it the vajayjay

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
:rolleyes:

When calling the hospital, protocol here says we must call it the vajayjay

Huh. That must be regional, because where I work, we say "stuff" or "cootch."

"My stuff hurts!"

"The baby's arm is hanging out of her cootch!"

JPINFV

Gadfly

Err... this may help...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGol5n1YT4w[/youtube]

/Curse my ever expanding ability to cite pop culture

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Err... this may help...

/Curse my ever expanding ability to cite pop culture

I don't know what they are teaching in school over there, but clearly they need to give you guys more to do if you have time for stuff like that.

:unsure:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I never got around to purging my brain of useless stuff before starting medical school. I do, however, really wish that I had the power to memorize medicine like I have to memorize useless stuff...

Hockey

Quackers
I never got around to purging my brain of useless stuff before starting medical school. I do, however, really wish that I had the power to memorize medicine like I have to memorize useless stuff...

Ain't that the truth...

Sasha

Forum Chief
I don't know what they are teaching in school over there, but clearly they need to give you guys more to do if you have time for stuff like that.

:unsure:

Says the guy who spends his time writing long, unappreciated posts on a forum!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Actually, I have a strong dislike for a blood soaked pad being held against my skin. I would rather deal with the cup or a tampon than pads most days.

Removing a tampon is the same level of "mess" as removing the cup. Just wash your hands. *shrug* Being a girl, it's not like you can get girl cooties from it. ;)

Tampons don't spill a cup full of blood on you when removed. They're also disposable so you're not reusing the same thing over and over again. That just seems kind of nasty. And an infection risk. Increased instances of yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis is associated with Diva cup use.

Blood soaked pads? You change them often enough that they don't get completely blood soaked. They wick the blood away from your skin.

And sorry, I do find bleeding unclean. I also find allowing a cup full of blood to sit in your body unclean, gross and nasty. Periods are natural and I'll talk about mine til the cows come home.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Ugh, really Sasha...?

Yeah this its what in talking about, and why I refer all female ob/gyn complaints to my thoroughly understanding, compassionate and professional female partner and it only costs me breakfast every week.:)