Medical Jargon for the EMT-B

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Say two basics are running on a stab wound. You get there and see the stab wound is on the back side of the patient in the shoulder area. You dress the wound etc. and transport. When you show up at the emergency room, do you have to say, "Doctor, we have a stab wound on the posterior of this patient proximal to the scapula." Or can you just stay in laymens terms, stab wound back shoulder blade.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
Say two basics are running on a stab wound. You get there and see the stab wound is on the back side of the patient in the shoulder area. You dress the wound etc. and transport. When you show up at the emergency room, do you have to say, "Doctor, we have a stab wound on the posterior of this patient proximal to the scapula." Or can you just stay in laymens terms, stab wound back shoulder blade.

"Doctor...posterior proximal to the scapula"

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
"Doctor...posterior proximal to the scapula"
So you can't ever be relaxed on your anatomy skills? I am glad I am taking anatomy even though its not required for EMT-B. Unless B has enough anatomy in it to learn those type words.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
"he got stabbed. guess where...."

in reality, it depends on who your talking to. in my area, you give most of your reports to triage nurses. the nurses at the boston hospitals arent impressed by an emt spouting off a long stream of medical terms. they actually get annoyed by it. now, sometimes you end up doing the report all over again when you get to the room for the doc. they generally dont care either way. they dont expect it, but with 8 years or better of hearing it all day long, its like a second language.

Hastings

Noobie
So you can't ever be relaxed on your anatomy skills? I am glad I am taking anatomy even though its not required for EMT-B. Unless B has enough anatomy in it to learn those type words.

Lol, honestly, a doctor is going to prefer you just use the most basic terms possible. If they got stabbed just below the collar bone, say they got stabbed just below the collar bone. If it's a gunshot wound to the left wrist, just say left wrist. Translating is just one more thing that doctors don't want to have to do if the information can be given in simple terms. It wont make you appear less intelligent by choosing to describe injuries in terms everyone knows.

And never use terms like AAOx3 around ER staff or on the radio to the ER staff. On average, they'll have no idea what you're talking about.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
What about knowing major arteries, veins etc. this is important in knowing the best, easiest way to stop bleeding. Is this just something ground into your brain.

Hastings

Noobie
What about knowing major arteries, veins etc. this is important in knowing the best, easiest way to stop bleeding. Is this just something ground into your brain.

You should already know any major vessels you'll be relating an injury to. You could say "it looks like they severed the carotid/femoral/etc artery," or you could just say "and there was excessive arterial bleeding."

el Murpharino

Forum Captain

I tell the docs and nurses in laymen terms when I'm giving a verbal report (i.e. stabbed near the left shoulder blade)...however in my written report I'll put it in more of a medical-ese (left side proximal to the scapula).

There's no real wrong way to do it, as long as you convey your message as accurately and as brief as possible without omitting any pertinent facts.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I tell the docs and nurses in laymen terms when I'm giving a verbal report (i.e. stabbed near the left shoulder blade)...however in my written report I'll put it in more of a medical-ese (left side proximal to the scapula).

There's no real wrong way to do it, as long as you convey your message as accurately and as brief as possible without omitting any pertinent facts.
I second this. I'll describe things in my narrative generally in medical terms (superior, inferior, etc), but I find that, for the most part, using them verbally is just being pedantic. I'd rather have my message be clear and concise (hard to do if you have to think about which words to use) than flowery.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain

If you know the terms then use them, who doesn't like to sound well educated?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I often keep things in layman terms when I'm giving a verbal report to ED staff... if I use medical terminology, I've got to translate it INTO descriptive medical terminology, then the staff needs to translate it out. 2 chances for errors and confusion.

When I do my PCR, I usually use medical jargon.

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
If you know the terms then use them, who doesn't like to sound well educated?

As said earlier, speaking in layman's terms won't necessarily make you sound less educated. I'm sure the ED staff is aware that you know your basic anatomy... you don't have to prove anything, especially when it's easier and often preferred that you speak in layman's terms.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
use the medical terminology...just make sure you know your anatomy properly and don't say things like "he got shot in the leg near the subclavin vein."

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
So many different opinions on this, some say use laymans terms, some say use medical terms.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Want to be thought as a medical professional then talk and act as one. Want to be thought as a "ambulance driver" then talk as one (common laymen terms). Want to look ignorant then act it.

This is not just emphasized in this given scenario, but as well emphasized in such courses as Advanced Stroke Life Support (ASLS).

In it it discusses that if ..." Paramedics could only give verbal reports that illustrated and demonstrated that they were medically educated and to be able to describe in detailed medical terminology what was observed and assessed, many more physicians would take them more seriously"...

Have you ever overheard physicians talking to physicians? Do they use common laymen terms? .. and it would be much more simple to state such but again, why are we using such terminology? Of course to inform them of our assessment, and that we are educated enough to be able to inform and communicate to them as a health care professional.

I would suggest a verbal report in the ER such as .." patient received a stab wound to the posterior midclavicular area of the right clavicle (using the term collarbone to me, would refer you never attended any anatomy education). He has noted good distal pulses in the right extremity as well with some associated parentheses in the little finger. It is believed that is embedded approximately 3 cm. The patient is not currently exhibiting any other associated complications."...This points out many things in a few seconds. One I recognize that the right subclavian artery feeds the radial artery and not having a pulse would indicate a life threatning laccerated artery and severe damage to it, as well that I recognize the ulnar nerve is affected and that serious complications such as pneumothorax is not currently present. Again, demonstrating I have performed my job and role.

How hard or difficult is that..? If you your really know your topographical landmarks and anatomy, one would never result back to common language. There is NO reason to. There is a reason medical professionals use such descriptive terms.

As well, if your ED staff does not know what C/A/O is then they need to be reassigned to a different area. It is stressed and taught & tested in emergency nursing courses such as TNCC, CATN and physician level ATLS which all ED personnel should have or be required to have to work in a ED. As well the abbreviation is usually encompassed in most emergency nursing and physician emergency documentation. It is a very commonly used abbreviation for neuro assessment. If they do not ...educate them.

R/r 911

skyemt

Forum Captain
And never use terms like AAOx3 around ER staff or on the radio to the ER staff. On average, they'll have no idea what you're talking about.

wow... that is a hard comment to take seriously... in my area, not only do they know it, but routinely ask it of the EMT's...

pretty basic stuff, can not believe they wouldn't know it in the ER... seriously...

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Just how much anatomy is taught in a EMT-Basic course? I am taking A&P I even though its not required, but because I plan to advance to paramedic. Also next spring, hopefully being EMT-B, I plan to take A&P II. I just want to be as educated as possible, so I can perform the job and work effectively with my medic partner.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
anatomy in basic is i think 2-10 hours worth. good job on doing A&P sooner, you will be able to sleep through most of basic class with your deeper understanding of the human body.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Just how much anatomy is taught in a EMT-Basic course? I am taking A&P I even though its not required, but because I plan to advance to paramedic. Also next spring, hopefully being EMT-B, I plan to take A&P II. I just want to be as educated as possible, so I can perform the job and work effectively with my medic partner.

You will go far with that type of attitude. One cannot be a good mechanic without knowing the parts of the car and how they work.. the human body is the same way. The more you know about it, and how it functions, the more you know on how to determine if and what is not functioning correctly.

Take as many supplemental courses as possible, the difference will pay off in the end.

Good luck!

R/r 911

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
Luckily, I work in a small rural area. Our Drs. and RNs. don't expect alot of medical jargon. As well, they know we know what we are talking about by giving them an accurate report and not stumbling over our words. We see the same nurses and doctors every day. They don't think any less of us.

It's just as easy for me to tell them "Pt has a single GSW to the right, rear shoulder. Pt has good distal pulse and C/M/S. And, if I can, I tell them an approximation of how much blood was lost in Units. Not liters or pints. Using medical jargon can certainly help you SOUND professional, but the way you carry yourself and perform your job day-to-day goes a much longer way to being taken seriously.