Medic Students!!!

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
About a month in to the class, 4 quizzes in, but first exam is next Friday, and we dropped 2 people today.

How many did you start with, and what are you at now?

We started with 38, we're now down to 10.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
23 down to 21...

Not anywhere near my EMT's 45 to 21 drop, but still, not even the first exam?

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
23 down to 21...

Not anywhere near my EMT's 45 to 21 drop, but still, not even the first exam?

My class was full to the brim. We had people getting desks and chairs from other classrooms. I'm glad that we've lost a few.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We started with 15, down to 13 now. Almost done and hoping we don't lose any more

Sasha

Forum Chief
I don't wanna go to sociology. Don't make me go!!! :[

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I don't wanna go to sociology. Don't make me go!!! :[

I'll trade ya. Taking Ped/OB, PALS, and PEPP finals today

Sieldan

Forum Crew Member
Bout a third of the way into P-1

And liking it so far. We've only got 11 in the class, and I think that we will 'promote' all of us to P-2. Tell you what tho, I am having to study a lot more than I did with Basic, which isnt necessarily a bad thing.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Passed all my ped exams! Next up tommorow is tested oral boards. Should be fun.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'm signed off from ride time - first in my class to be done.

Now I need to wait and test with my class... in August.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Passed all my ped exams! Next up tommorow is tested oral boards. Should be fun.

Congrats, and good luck.

I'm signed off from ride time - first in my class to be done.

Now I need to wait and test with my class... in August.

Hopefully you keep up with studying while out. Can you sign up for more clinicals?

Just looked online, and the medic class before us is having a PHTLS skills day on Saturday and they are looking for volunteers to get the full makeup treatment to be trauma pts... hopefully when I go to class tomorrow there's still a spot open. Would be fun.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I did one of those in highschool. It was an active-shooter scenario. I was "shot in the chest" Got all the makeup and everything. SWAT came in and extracted the victims using their modified APC, transfer to Ambulance and zipped on over to the hospital where they were waiting to start "treating" me. The wound had some tubing in it that ran to a syringe in my hand that let me control the bleeding. Great fun, and from the debrief after, it seemed like everyone learned a lot. Plus... free food. Gotta love free food.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
A whole day off tomorrow. 13 shifts in and 29 to go. I've been busy with my clinical ride time. I put in for all my night shifts off and just work my two days, then 4 or 5 clinical shifts. Basicaly it means I'm on a truck 6 of every 7 days. If I can keep it up I'll be done in early Aug.

I haven't done a huge amount of calls but there have been some good ones in the mix. Some good pulmonary edemas, a few infarcts, a dilaudid OD. Narcan appears to work well. Some traumas, A suv rearended by a pickup. Mom,dad,two kids and a dog. End result was good all walked away later. A motorcycle rider who skipped down the road when he dropped his bike. 8 broken ribs and clavicle, hemo/pneumothorax which bought him a chest tube at the hospital. A soccer player with a popped knee. Enough to keep me interested at least.

Well time for bed. I'm going to enjoy sleeping in tomorrow.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I did one of those in highschool. It was an active-shooter scenario. I was "shot in the chest" Got all the makeup and everything. SWAT came in and extracted the victims using their modified APC, transfer to Ambulance and zipped on over to the hospital where they were waiting to start "treating" me. The wound had some tubing in it that ran to a syringe in my hand that let me control the bleeding. Great fun, and from the debrief after, it seemed like everyone learned a lot. Plus... free food. Gotta love free food.

I participated in a MCI drill for the hospital, only our scenario was a mass outbreak of a new strain of influenza (Swine Flu!). I was a fourteen year old abandon with my three year old sister, Flopsy ( who was a stuffed bunny) at the ER. Due to being over run with patients, they put one of my classmates in the room with Flopsy and I. The classmate died, and traumatized Flopsy. Child Life was called to help Flopsy cope, and Flopsy and I were admitted. Flopsy was admitted to the PICU and I to the regular pedi floor. At the elevator we were ripped apart despite my protests, and I died in my room, pulled off the electrodes, slumped over, and pulled out my deceased card. After I was discovered I collected all the other "children" (stuffed animals) and was wheeled off to the "morgue" (cafeteria). Flopsy pulled through and made a full recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
My medic school pays for some webinar type this, so about 7 of us are in it right now studying for the test on Friday.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I participated in a MCI drill for the hospital, only our scenario was a mass outbreak of a new strain of influenza (Swine Flu!). I was a fourteen year old abandon with my three year old sister, Flopsy ( who was a stuffed bunny) at the ER. Due to being over run with patients, they put one of my classmates in the room with Flopsy and I. The classmate died, and traumatized Flopsy. Child Life was called to help Flopsy cope, and Flopsy and I were admitted. Flopsy was admitted to the PICU and I to the regular pedi floor. At the elevator we were ripped apart despite my protests, and I died in my room, pulled off the electrodes, slumped over, and pulled out my deceased card. After I was discovered I collected all the other "children" (stuffed animals) and was wheeled off to the "morgue" (cafeteria). Flopsy pulled through and made a full recovery.

I would love to hear more about this scenario (in another thread) since this has been and continues to be discussed.

I also know many position statements for treatments plans for the large scale event have changed over the past 5 years and am wondering if EMS has caught up with the changes.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Shift in a Psych ER tomorrow morning, then PICU Sat night. And I passed two more Enviromental scenarios today :D

hrmeeks

Forum Crew Member
You have to kill someone with electricity?!

I hear OR is boring as you sit there, do a tube, and go back to sitting there.

Do your tube find out when the next surgery you will be in is and go to the er or ob or psych or the cpc and get some more contacts in. Dont sit there and waste your time, You can also see the pt s in preop see if they will let you get some sticks in.

reaper

Working Bum
How about watching the procedure and learning something? The OR is a great learning experience. You should not be there "just to get a tube"!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
How about watching the procedure and learning something? The OR is a great learning experience. You should not be there "just to get a tube"!

+1. I would have killed for OR rotations. And I know I learned a hell of a lot in the trauma room and every other clinical shift just watching procedures. So just watch.

I still remember being let watch a harvest team work. A very valuable learning experience

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant

The OR I was in the staff was not nice to me or my classmate that was in there another week. We were outsiders and were treated like such. They didn't want us touching patients other than to tube and they didn't even want us there for that. I was lucky if I got a tube a day. They relied on LMA's. I had to ask the anesthesiologist for permission to tube there PT's and a few didn't want me doing that, then I had to ask the PT and get a consent form signed. I watched surgeries, but it was a small hospital that did the same surgeries over and over again. Then I realized I was missing tubes while sitting through surgeries. It depends which hospital OR you go to, because every OR experience is going to be different. I had to go 2 extra days to get my 10th tube. Another classmate of mine got 89 tubes in his time at a different OR.