Medic Schools in Orlando?

dustincarter19

Forum Probie
I just got my basic cert in Indiana and filing for reciprocity in FL. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for medic schools in Orlando? Valencia Community College has a 2 year associates degree but was hoping to find a year long program. Not positive I am staying in the Orlando area for much longer than that.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Do a little research on the direction EMS is headed, especially the new changes which are being phased in.

After reading that, do yourself a huge favor if your plan is to stay in EMS as a career and go to a community college and get the degree.

OP
OP
D

dustincarter19

Forum Probie
Do a little research on the direction EMS is headed, especially the new changes which are being phased in.

After reading that, do yourself a huge favor if your plan is to stay in EMS as a career and go to a community college and get the degree.

Wondered about going to Valencia and getting my Associates in paramedicine and my RN at the same time. Any thoughts?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Absolutely...choose one or the other. Then after completion, do the one you waited on if you still desire.

You will not be able to do both programs at same time. There are not enough hours in the week to do the required clinical time when you get to that point, not to mention all the hours of studying before you approach the clinical phase.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Do RN, challenge Paramedic afterwards, for a couple reasons.

You can challenge Paramedic a lot easier than you can challenge RN. People I've spoken to about taking the Paramedic to RN bridge have nothing but horrible things to say about it.

You will have more work opprotunities and higher pay as a nurse than you will as a Paramedic, especially in the Orlando area.

Valencia is one of the top rated nursing schools in the state.

OP
OP
D

dustincarter19

Forum Probie
Do RN, challenge Paramedic afterwards, for a couple reasons.

You can challenge Paramedic a lot easier than you can challenge RN. People I've spoken to about taking the Paramedic to RN bridge have nothing but horrible things to say about it.

You will have more work opprotunities and higher pay as a nurse than you will as a Paramedic, especially in the Orlando area.

Valencia is one of the top rated nursing schools in the state.

When you say challenge do u mean I can just challenge and possibly get my cert and not have to take more classes? Just hadn't heard the term challenge before.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
In the state of FL, a RN who has their EMT can challenge the state medic exam. While I do not agree with it, it is a reality.

As a paramedic wishing to become a nurse, you may enter a bridge program and skip the first semester. You still have a year and half of core nursing courses to do after that. You can not get into the bridge program without having all your pre requisites (AnP I and II, Micro, Algebra, Humanities, Eng, Speech, Bio, etc)

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I wonder, could you move to Fl, challenge the medic exam, and then go use it or NREMT for reciprocity in other states? Do you even need to move to Fl? Maybe just stay for a few months while working on the cert.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
No, a state FL medic cert does not get you a NR cert.

So you would not get reciprocity elsewhere unless some other state decided to accept another states certification and that is usually based on showing proof of having attended a full and proper DOT minimum hour required course and then challenging their state exam.