Med Care Ambulance in San Antonio, TX

krtemt

Forum Crew Member
I was wondering if anybody in the San Antonio area has any experience with Med Care ambulance?

I am talking with them, might look at hiring on with them, but not finding lots of good things about them.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I was wondering if anybody in the San Antonio area has any experience with Med Care ambulance?

I am talking with them, might look at hiring on with them, but not finding lots of good things about them.

Where is their office?

I've worked in San Antonio almost 4 years and never heard of them.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'm with shfd. I've worked here about the same amount of time and never seen or heard of them. They kind of like a service named MTST that I haven't seen in a while... Possibly a name change?

OP, if you're looking for a private service in the SA area, I'd recommend either Acadian or Metro Ambulance. Maybe Southern Cross as well. I'd personally stay away from the others if at all possible.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Looks like the former Amb-Trans. Name changed end of last year from what I remember. No idea why.

I'd stay away.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Definitely stay away from AmbTrans. One of my old partners worked there briefly and had numerous horror stories. She quit in fear of losing her patch.

3ccadena

Forum Ride Along
Don't do it!!!

Medcare was the first place I worked at as a basic at the age of 19 and let me tell you it sucked so much!
I was one of 2 girls that worked there and was partnered with a guy who did not know boundaries I repeatedly asked to be switched partners but from what I heard he kept asking to be my partner. you may think I'm just one of those girls that shouldn't be in this field if I am afraid of men well let me fill you in on what happened even after I reported it. My partner who I had to share about a 7x7 room with during overnights in beds that were literally held up by rocks showed up one overnight shift with body paints and thought it would be "fun" to play with!!!!!!!! I ended up just going to my car and sleeping in it mind you it was in December and in the morning everything was frozen and I would rather have slept in my car than be stuck in that room with him.

then there are the patients we had to pick up one of them was an old man at a nursing home I do not remember his name but he gave dave (the supervisor) his land and gave mitch (the owner) his money just so he could call us to do everything for him. WE WOULD GET DISPATCHED TO MOTHER :censored::censored::censored::censored:ING BURGER KING TO BRING THIS MAN :censored::censored::censored::censored:ING WHOPPERS BECAUSE HE WANTED THEM. also when we would take this man to dialysis he was on O2 and wanted us to wait for him unhook him from the O2 all so he could have a smoke so we would have to do everything he asked us to do because he was giving stuff to the owners.

Drumroll please here comes the best part!!!

I was told that I would work 24 hour shifts but that legally they only had to pay me for 13 hours because I would get 3 one hour meal breaks and if after 6pm no calls happened then technically I would get sleep for 8 hours. So I was there for 11 hours for free and then I was promised that if a call were to happen at night I would get paid an hourly bonus for that hour of working well after working there for 4 months I noticed I was not getting my bonuses for calls I made after 6pm (if you do work there keep track of EVERYTHING you do because they "forget"). when I went to speak with Dave (supervisor) about it he said he didn't really know why I wasn't getting paid for them and to speak with Mitch (the owner) about it. I went to talk to Mitch and he said well they are considered "bonuses" and we don't have to technically pay you for them. That's when I drew the line and quit I am not about to be spending 11 hours of a 24 hour day on call/making calls at 2/3am TO NOT GET PAID for them!!!!!

There I am done ranting if you don't believe me and want to try it for yourself then fine go ahead but all I have to say is :censored::censored::censored::censored: that place I would rather go back to bill millers than work there (also I was getting paid more to work at Bill Millers than there) Good luck to you!!! :rofl:
I HATE THAT PLACE SO MUCH I WOULD NOT LET ANYONE I KNOW WORK THERE!!!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
So overall it sounds like a pretty fun place to work? What other job lets you go to Burger King with patients, play with body paint, and give you a rent-free place to stay...

3ccadena

Forum Ride Along
well I guess when u look at it that way technically I should get volunteer credits then since I wasn't getting paid half the time and I would have rather just stayed at my house than that tiny rundown "rentfree" living space haha u have a very positive outlook on life I hope that sticks with u for a long time :)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Here is a lawsuit from 2012 against Amb-Trans INC.

It appears as though the management named in the Amb-Trans lawsuit is similar to Med Care Ambulance's present management.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Oh no, just apparently good at disguising sarcasm ;)

That would explain a lot, Matt.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
That was an interesting read Matt.

I would say AmbTrans/MedTrans is probably the worst private service in San Antonio.

3ccadena

Forum Ride Along
They are similar because the owner of ambtrans and the owner of Medcare are
Wait for it....
dun dun Dunnnnnn...
Brothers

Seriously though they are brothers Mitch (owner of Medcare) told me him Ans his brother started them also its dumb because they DONT HAVE ANY EMS BACKGROUND NOT WVEN A PATCH!

MSoMC

Forum Ride Along
@Claudia,
It's so sad that you had those feelings and carry such a grudge. I happen to know that Dave "supervisor" is a retired Army Combat Medic... (maybe he was too direct for you?). I know of many people who leave many places who think "the grass is greener", and I have known some from Medcare leave and return later with regrets and positive things. Oh, and you say Mitch with no experience??? DSHS says "currently and been certified since 1992". I'm sure you have some "other" animosity and hopefully find peace. They seemed very sad when I expressed how you feel. Said, although "green" you were a decent EMT and person.

MSoMC

Forum Ride Along
MedCare is not a post AmbTrans. AmbTrans is still in business and MedCare has been licensed and operating since 2003 for sure.

Beware of the information you receive... Always consider it, because it "may" be true, but it could also be from a tantrum of a screaming child... :sad:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
[emoji54]

arslayer

Forum Ride Along
I left there earlier this year and was told way too much info. Dave and Mitch talk about each other like 3rd graders. They complain about each other to employees. I have a buddy that still works there, I feel bad for him. But he's behind a desk and has no way of escaping the boring no point conversations but @ least he's not getting screwed out of his hours... or is he?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
At least they have quality equipment and ambulances...