MCIs in Georgia

Lamiae

Forum Probie
I am in the process of obtaining my EMT-P licence for Central Georgia (Macon). In the classes, we've gone over MCI (mass-casualty incidents) procedures, and this gave me a curiosity. How frequently will I be faced with what would be considered an MCI as a paramedic.

Thanks in advance for your responses. ;)

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Anytime there are more patients than resources. Could be often, could be infrequent. You never know.

Bus accident? Yeah

Accident with 4 serious injuries? If you have 2 ambulances, than its an MCI.

Hurricane? Sure

Food poisoning at restaurant with 40 people? It can happen.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
This is really too broad of a question to answer accurately. The answer depends on your luck, or lack thereof. This also depends on what you're picturing as an MCI. With the standard definition of an MCI as overwhelming the initial responding unit(s), you'll probably see it a few times a year in a busy system. This is speaking for a Level I MCI, which I am defining as <3 critical patients.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It all depends on your area and what you define as an MCI.

If you work in a smaller area then you may never get an MCI in your career. If you work in a bigger area then you can get a "MCI" every week.

For my protocols an MCI is when ever there is 5 or more patients and/or more patients than resources and/or provider discretion. So technically speaking I can call a MCI with only 2 patients.

OP
OP
Lamiae

Lamiae

Forum Probie
I would like to thank everyone who responded. =) It gave me things to mull over as I studied the MCI procedures. I appreciate the replies of everyone who didn't mind answering a student's question.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Most of us are always glad to answer a students questions: as long as you try to find answers first.

To answer your question: I have worked in Indianapolis, where a MCI was 40+ patients from an ECF due to a tornado (we only had 18 ambulances do to so many other runs).

Here a van crash with 6-10 patients would tax us so be a MCI; we have 3 medic crews working during the week; and the closest (level III) hospital is 45 miles away, Level I's are 90 miles away; and the closest backup EMS is 45 minutes away: helicopter response is 35-55 minutes away.