McCormick Ambulance Interview Prep

med12

Forum Probie
I have an interview for McCormick ambulance tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone had any tips. I know there's gonna be a written test, dummy drag, and skills assessment. However, I was just wondering if anyone had any major tips! What to brush up on or how to really win them over. Thanks in advance for any help!

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I have an interview for McCormick ambulance tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone had any tips. I know there's gonna be a written test, dummy drag, and skills assessment. However, I was just wondering if anyone had any major tips! What to brush up on or how to really win them over. Thanks in advance for any help!
If your looking to become a fireman they will hire you.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
med12

med12

Forum Probie
Well that's perfect! That's the end game goal.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Well that's perfect! That's the end game goal.
Brush up on your basic skills. Basic interview questions. You don't have to worry too much about when they ask you about where you see yourself in 5 to 10 years. They don't like retention. Retention is seen as cancerous to their business model which is get emts in at low pay and cost to the company.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Perfect! Sounds like a plan! Thanks for your help!
Just be sure you have an alternative plan. Everyone and their brother wants to be a fireman. You vs 800 other candidates and most of them will all be your co workers bidding on 4 open jobs. Always have a second plan to fall on. Mccormick and Care thrive off guys that want to be fireman thats why you don't see "careers start here" in any of their job postings.

OP
OP
med12

med12

Forum Probie
Oh I'm very well aware! I was let go from san diego city's backgrounds currently in the process for La City and I was weeded out of La County's background for "lack of life experience". I'm staying on the grind and wanting to eventually go to paramedic school!

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh I'm very well aware! I was let go from san diego city's backgrounds currently in the process for La City and I was weeded out of La County's background for "lack of life experience". I'm staying on the grind and wanting to eventually go to paramedic school!
That's a wonderful excuse they love to throw around.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Just remember the guy thats 38 still an emt and has been trying to become a fireman since he was 18. Those are your supervisors and ftos and theres plenty of them.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
So, just curious op, are you wanting to go to paramedic to school to...BE A FIREMAN?

Pet peeve of mine right here. Gives the small percentage of us who are going to medic school cause they want to be medics, not cause they have to be (to get on with a FD) a bad rap.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I think @Jim37F is the perfect person to answer the ops question.

FWIW, he too like you, CAL seems as though he'd want to be a dual role for the right reasons. Plus, you know? The McCormick thing and all.

@gotshirtz001 would be another excellent brain to pick for any would be FFPM.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
CAL seems as though he'd want to be a dual role for the right reasons.

I get the whole cliche you became a medic just to become a FF. I don't take exception to it anymore, its water off a ducks back for me. Those who know me know that I truly want to become a paramedic for the skill set and the know how to have better patient care. Its people who get the p-card just for the FD shirt that get under my skin, cause at the end of the day they're craptastic providers.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I have met, and/or known a handful of solid dual roles, and have found them to typically be one of two types:

1. They did ambulance time, and/ or were ambulance paramedics before being hired on.

2. They were put through by their department, or paid themselves, but eventually embraced their role of largely EMS-related tasks and began to develop respect for their fellow field providers.

Op, do you know what both have in common? Humility. That, and the latter realized how much their departments actually need the EMS section of their department to pretty much exist so they became good at it...GOOD...AT.....IT.