Mass Casualty Triage Scenario?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
If you have to wave off, do SOMETHING for your "willings"

As in they were willing to come out and help. Use the money for the thank yo" BBQ or whatever for a party or whatever?
How about a quick shift mentally to plan B...say, a panic INDOORS at a rave party in a willing owner's building (school gym? FD barn with trucks pulled out?) with only two doors open, two clusters of victims...

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
I just have a quick ? I thought when you were triaging people you were not supposed to down grade. they were obviously upgraded for a reason usually being serious therefore you could only upgrade not downgrade.

OP
OP
K

keith10247

Forum Lieutenant
Sapphyre, I am located in Northern VA (Outside of DC). I chose Amtrak because we have them out here and I used to be a consultant assigned to them.

Thanks for your feedback!

OP
OP
K

keith10247

Forum Lieutenant
I am sure there wont be an issue with getting people who are willing... It just becomes more exciting to be all dolled up with lacerations and avulsions.

I will definitely take the indoor scenario in to mind (maybe write up 2 separate scenarios and depending on the weather or crew turnout, we can choose which one to exercise). In all reality, the only person who is really supposed to know the scenario is the training coordinator... I was wanting to keep something outdoors so that the people who are doing command (our chief) can see all that is going on and that people can run to units to get supplies.

I just noticed that I totally forgot a rehab sector. Minor detail but critical, IMHO.

mycrofft

CSLY he means they are getting worse with elapsed time.

The caregivers want to upgrade their condition, tiome and the referee want it to get worse unless it is treated or it is inevitable.

OP
OP
K

keith10247

Forum Lieutenant
csly, To be honest, I have only done one triage simulation; my EMT class did not heavily stress on it for some reason.

My understanding is that poor judgement on the triager (not sure if that is an actual word) could cause a deterioration of the patient. My hope is that another triager will be involved with the reassessment and catch things that the initial triage did not pickup. In the heat of the moment, someone might be classified as a Yellow patient but then over time you could come across the whole "oh *@#& dude is gonna die!" and have him downgraded to a red severity. It could also be a case where a Yellow's vitals stabilize to where they can be treated with a less urgent severity.

As we know, the human body is not very predictable... just because a patient was once thought of as a medium priority, doesn't mean he should be treated with medium priority if he needs more urgent care.

I may be wrong, so please correct me if I am.

mycrofft

IN ther real world that will happen a lot.

Mass Cas triageurs will by the definition of the situation have pts slip to lower categories and die. They don't teach that and if/when it happens it may make the triageur give up, freeze, or frenzy.