Making a career switch from LE to Medic

jparent

Forum Probie
Title may be a little bit misleading since I'm not currently working in LE. I'm 27 and graduated from the police academy 2 years ago. In NJ you can sponsor yourself through the academy and the placement after graduation was above 98%. About half of the people that were already hired by a PD were laid off before graduation. Of the 17 of the people that sponsored themselves I know of 6 of them that have jobs after 2 years. I have been thinking about this for a while and I think I'm going to switch careers to be a paramedic. Has anyone thought they were going to do 1 thing their whole life and switched to EMS?
I'm thinking about doing a Hybrid class starting in the fall. It's a 2 year program.

OP
OP
J

jparent

Forum Probie
So to highlight my main concerns, anyone switch career paths and regret it down the line? What kind of career were you in before you went into emergency medicine, thanks

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
So to highlight my main concerns, anyone switch career paths and regret it down the line? What kind of career were you in before you went into emergency medicine, thanks

I am in mass. I wanted to be a state trooper my whole life. I started to major is in cj in class. I was in college for a year. Then I was like .... I want to be a medic. So ya... I didn't get to work as a police officer and I just got a job as an emt-b and will be starting next week. So I can't really say if I made the right choice or not but I am happy with it. Although if you want good pay I would try and find a job as a police officer. ^_^

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
I Also was going to be a state trooper. I almost completed my 2 year AA in criminal justice and started the testing process with the state. At the same time I started volunteering and fell in love with fire/ems. I know a few people that work at our department that where previous LEO. They love both jobs. Fire just pays more then the local PD and the days off are better. Good luck in whichever career you choose!

Note: people are almost always happy to see us, police, not so much ;)

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Make sure there is a market where you are or be willing to move. You don't want to wind up back in the same position you arw in now a year or two from now.