MA State License vs NREMT

wexlerk13

Forum Probie
anybody know the differences between MA state license and NREMT (BASIC) practical exams. I am Nationally registered but i have to take the MA state test in a week or so...thanks

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
you can download the ma state exam sheets so you can review exactly what the examiners are looking for.

pm me with any questions. ma emt, nremt, emt instr.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I assume you are asking about the EMT-B exam-- i have no expierence with the Paramedic exams.

For one, there is no "floating" station in the MA exam. Often MA exams are conducted in conjunction with a given class's end time. The practical is very expensive-- if I remember correctly, as of about a year ago, it was $150 to the state and $150 to the institution housing the exam.
There are several stations:
1) CPR/AED-- my exam conformed to the AHA guidelines, but make sure you review the MA skillsheets.
2) Backboarding-- You pick at random whether it is longboard or KED. You are going to have a chance to check your equipment before starting, and make sure you do well. Be ready to deal with 9' alligator straps-- both exams that I saw had them.
3) Splinting-- You pick at random an upper extremity, then perform a femur fracture stabilization.
4) Assessment-- Both medical and trauma-- its very straightforward.

Good Luck!

I reccomend bringing your own patient, and practising with them beforehand.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
emt student is half right about the exams. while they dont hold open registration exams, they arent limited to the students from the class or school hosting the exam. once the class has been scheduled(which is done by the school) the state will at times place people who have no association to that class in it. examples of such circumstances are people who are retesting(your allowed three trys at it), people who for one reason or another couldnt/didnt make their scheduled test and out of state challenges. doo the proper paperwork and you'll be set.

as far as the stations:

1: resuscitation- of course it conforms aha standards. thats pretty much the gold standard
2: spinal immobilization- pretty standard. each school is required to provide the equipment. your just as likely to see seat belt straps as alligator straps or deployment buckle straps. it depends on what the school has.
3: splinting- really nothing to add here. you can either do it properly or you cant
4: assessment. we do it kind of differently here. you absolutely need to review what the state is looking for this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith

Forum Probie
Ma issues a certification, not a license.

For that matter MA is a little behind the times. I am in training for my NREMT-P, as well as my MA EMT-P, and I work as a basic in MA. I do not have my National Basic, just because I never really felt it was worth it, I was just waiting till I got my medic...

ANYWAY, I have asked around on this issue, and from what I have heard, the MA test is harder, but the National you can do more. Which doesnt make sence, but I'm a poor source, since I never went for my national basic.

OP
OP
W

wexlerk13

Forum Probie
I am challenging the state exam, based on out of state training (CA). If anyone knows where i can find the skills grade sheets online, that would be great. Thanks for the help.

bled12345

Forum Crew Member
The practical is very expensive-- if I remember correctly, as of about a year ago, it was $150 to the state and $150 to the institution housing the exam.
T

My EMR exam was 500$, 250 for the written and 250 for the scenario's... my EMT-A exam was 675$!!!!!!! AND 450$ for the year registration dues to be licensed in alberta. Thats over a 1000$ just to prove that I'm a competent EMT-A.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
My EMR exam was 500$, 250 for the written and 250 for the scenario's... my EMT-A exam was 675$!!!!!!! AND 450$ for the year registration dues to be licensed in alberta. Thats over a 1000$ just to prove that I'm a competent EMT-A.

Meh, don't look at the costs for USMLE steps 1, 2 CK, 2 CS, and 3 then.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Technically, NREMT does not have a practical examination. They will allow other states or schools examinations.

R/r 911

OP
OP
W

wexlerk13

Forum Probie