MA OEMS changes

hogdweeb

Forum Crew Member
As some, if not many, know, MA is finally adopting the national standards. Being that this is all so new to any of us put in the position of recertifying in MA, I'm hoping i am not the only one with questions regarding the requirements and how to do things. I sent my primary contact in the service I work for an email regarding just that. He replied with a link that clarified a couple questions, but made many more then it answered. For those that dont know the new requirements, here is the link:

http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/emergency-services/nremt/nremt-con-ed-requirements-summary.pdf

This breaks down the old vs. new requirements in MA. With these new requirements came some more reading for answers, which didn't really get answered by reading. I stumbled upon this link:

http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/emergency-services/nremt/nremt-con-ed-requirements.pdf

and found the break down of Local, national and individual con ed requirements. I have never been a strong analytical reader so to speak, so that may be why i am confused. I sent a reply to my primary contact saying

"Thanks for the link. Did some reading and I have a couple more questions. After reading through it I saw the graph I was looking for. IT answered my question about the recert requirements, however I am unsure of the difference between the three types of Con Ed I need. There is Local, National and Individual. The way I am reading things based off this link: http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/emergency-services/nremt/nremt-con-ed-requirements.pdf on page 3 is that the National requirements are set forth by the NREMT, the Local is set forth by the state/city/service regarding protocol changes and/or quality assurance, and the individual is set by the EMT them self for where they need improvement...but how do I constitute what is what? Will SBVAS and/or Action/County be doing "local" stuff, or will I need to satisfy that in some other form? If I do online con ed is that considered "national" so long as it satisfies the cardiac/airway/trauma/medical and operations? As for the individual, how do i justify where I need work? As for the "No refresher" Requirement under the new changes, How will I go about? Do my con ed, submit an application for a recertified license? Some of these you may have been asked, you may know the answer too, or I may have to find on my free time. As it is new to me, it is new to you too."

As i mentioned in the email, it is new to him, as to me, and he may have some of the answers, or may be just as dumb founded as I. Which leads me to posting here. Even if he does have the answers, getting a different view on it may help me better understand things. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
Don't have any insight, but I'm moving to MA soon from NJ. Any tips on how to get reciprocity would be appreciated, especially since I need to maintain my NJ certification as well.

feldy

Forum Captain
I am in process of getting reciprocity back to massachusetts ( i was originally an EMT there). It will take a while but with the state now accepting NREMT (as of 7/1/13), you should just need to send a state verification form to the NJ EMS office, then have them sign and seal it send it back to you, then you send that sealed envelope, along the the application and fee to MA OEMS.

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
NJ doesn't use NREMT, so would I have to take the NREMT test or can I get reciprocity using my NJ certification?

feldy

Forum Captain
most likely you will still have to take the NREMT since they are going to be using that as the standard test.

OP
OP
H

hogdweeb

Forum Crew Member
most likely you will still have to take the NREMT since they are going to be using that as the standard test.
MA is funky in that respect. I have the option to take the NREMT, which I'm not going to do. Next fall I'm gonna start my medic, so I'll be taking it when it comes test time. IF I need an out of state license that bad in the mean time, which I doubt, I can go for reciprocity.