MA Medics..

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys my wife got a job offer in mass. I live in FL right now and i`m still looking for a medic job. I just finished schooling and testing 2 weeks ago. I have a few questions about MA and jobs there..I have a lot of family up there so this might be a good move

1. How much do they pay paramedics up there? I see a bunch of companies hiring. Any good companies I want to try first? How hard is it to get Fire certificated up there and what is the outlook to get hired. I have a AS degree in EMS, I`m a NREMT-P and I have basic experience. 3. I have to take the MA state exam.. I`ve passed the NRemt-p how hard is MA state test? Ive looked over the state protocols and the only different between FL and MA is that MA requires you to call for orders for a lot of stuff. Any good study guides?

FL pays like 12-15hr for a medic and like 9hr for emts-bs.. The market down here is filled with unemployed medics due to the fire departments not hiring. i`m sure mas is in the same boat but I know theres a lot of communities up there that are still separate. Down here fire and ems are together

Thanks for the help.

Simusid

Forum Captain
Hey guys my wife got a job offer in mass. I live in FL right now and i`m still looking for a medic job. I just finished schooling and testing 2 weeks ago. I have a few questions about MA and jobs there..I have a lot of family up there so this might be a good move

1. How much do they pay paramedics up there? I see a bunch of companies hiring. Any good companies I want to try first? How hard is it to get Fire certificated up there and what is the outlook to get hired. I have a AS degree in EMS, I`m a NREMT-P and I have basic experience. 3. I have to take the MA state exam.. I`ve passed the NRemt-p how hard is MA state test? Ive looked over the state protocols and the only different between FL and MA is that MA requires you to call for orders for a lot of stuff. Any good study guides?

FL pays like 12-15hr for a medic and like 9hr for emts-bs.. The market down here is filled with unemployed medics due to the fire departments not hiring. i`m sure mas is in the same boat but I know theres a lot of communities up there that are still separate. Down here fire and ems are together

Thanks for the help.

I'm not 100% sure what our starting salary is for medics but I think it's around $15 for Junior medics (less than 1 year). Staff medics run from $16 or so to $19. Senior medics go as high as about $25/hour.

Shoot me an email with a resume if you're in the southeastern MA area and still looking.

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
I know cataldo hires medics at 16$ starting. From what I hear a lot of places here are always hiring. I got a job as an emt-b starting 12$. Cataldo hires emt-bs for 13.25. :O Lyons also starts emt-bs at 12$. Idk much about any other companies. If I got a job with no experience after only 2 weeks of being certified, I am sure you will find one.

beantown native

Forum Crew Member
There are tons of companies there... Where you looking at going to ? Mass is or at least was, divided up into 5 regions for ems, and each one is different. some departments are BLS and rely on fly cars/medic intercepts. Cool site to look at is firenews.org That will show you loads of companies and depts in the state.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm not a medic but do live and work in MA.

The company I work for starts medics with no experience at 16.50. They work two 24s a week (generally), so they get 8 hours of OT too. Most companies are almost always hiring medics it seems. They might not be actively hiring, but I doubt that you'd be waiting more than a month before getting an interview. I can't comment on the difference between the two tests except to say that the MA test is not adaptive like the NR's, and that I found the basic test to be easier. The statewide protocols have a lot of online med control but your medical director has the final say on call ins.

Most of the city and suburban fire departments are civil service, so you don't actually need any certifications to apply. If you have them it's not going to hurt you, but every department is going to send you to an academy whether it be a city's (Boston, Cambridge, Brookline, etc) or to the State Fire Academy. Most of the suburban fire departments run ambulances with a lot of them being ALS. Already certified paramedics have a huge advantage getting these positions. EMS experience helps, but I know guys on the job that got their medic and worked for less than three months for a private before getting on with an ALS fire department. The cities surrounding Boston generally contract their EMS. Some cities (Lynn and Cambridge come to mind) have fire running ALS on one or two companies.

Thanks for the help.

There's a lot more unemployed basics than medics. And there is a lot more fire based EMS than one would expect here, thought the places that see a lot of fire will not be running ambulances generally.

OP
OP
L

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the answers. 16.5 is only 50 cents less than I make now... I work for a home health agency. So this is good news. Specially if the do 24hr on 48 off or so.. Thanks again

jkrewko

Forum Crew Member
i work in RI. it's an nremt state so all you need is a background check and to pay the application fee. i make 20 an hour

OP
OP
L

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
anyway u can priv mesg me where you work and if they hiring? maybe u can get a finders fee haha =)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
PM sent.