MA EMT patch

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Hi all,

I have a pretty stupid question. I researched it online, but didn't really find any definitive answers <_<

Which is the correct sleeve for the MA EMT patch? Right sleeve or left sleeve? I have to sew mine on at some point.

Thanks!
Eric

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Hi all,

I have a pretty stupid question. I researched it online, but didn't really find any definitive answers <_<

Which is the correct sleeve for the MA EMT patch? Right sleeve or left sleeve? I have to sew mine on at some point.

Thanks!
Eric

Usually your state patch goes on the right, because your service patch goes on the left. But your employer could be different. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Ditto with EMSLaw. I keep a US flag on my left shoulder and my NR patch on the right. Although that's from working at the hospital, so I didn't have a service patch, and my jacket has velcro spots on both sleeves

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Ditto with EMSLaw. I keep a US flag on my left shoulder and my NR patch on the right. Although that's from working at the hospital, so I didn't have a service patch, and my jacket has velcro spots on both sleeves

Okay thanks you two. I don't have a service patch either, so I'm replacing it with a flag.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Our WA state patch goes on the left chest. I'm not sure if that is just a regional thing or a statewide thing. We have a unique situation because we wear our service patch on our right sleeve and the county sheriff's office patch on the left. But even AMR down in Spokane Co. wears the state patch on their left chest.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Again, especially in MA, training always goes on right, affiliation on left. Make sure, though, if you are putting a flag on your left that it is facing the correct direction.
What are you putting a patch on, if you aren't working? FYI, in MA, wearing a patch gives you a duty to act... and that isnt always a good thing...

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Again, especially in MA, training always goes on right, affiliation on left. Make sure, though, if you are putting a flag on your left that it is facing the correct direction.
What are you putting a patch on, if you aren't working? FYI, in MA, wearing a patch gives you a duty to act... and that isnt always a good thing...

Thanks. I do know about the flag thing. Stars facing forward, running TOWARDS the scene. Not retreating B)

Didn't know about the duty to act with the patch on, but that's not really a problem as I'd only be wearing it while working.

As far as working goes, there's a misunderstanding. I AM working as an EMT, but my agency (campus EMS) does not have it's own patch. I'm replacing it with an American flag.

Thanks!

MRE

Forum Captain

Can you cite a source for the duty to act if wearing a patch?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
No, I cannot. After some research, I cannot find any sources. Let it stand now as "Dan thinks it can end up causing more problems then it helps".

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
When I lived in NM, being identifiable as an EMT was pretty much an automatic duty to act. not sure about up here though

MRE

Forum Captain
No, I cannot. After some research, I cannot find any sources. Let it stand now as "Dan thinks it can end up causing more problems then it helps".

Ok, I wasn't saying I don't believe you, just that if we could find something I would like to post it at my dept for everyone else to see.

dmc2007

Forum Captain

I too have heard that wearing anything with a star of life on it in MA gives you a duty to act. Although likewise I can't cite a source.

Regardless of the law, if you are identifiable as an EMS provider, be prepared to act should the defecation hit the air displacement device.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I too have heard that wearing anything with a star of life on it in MA gives you a duty to act. Although likewise I can't cite a source.

Regardless of the law, if you are identifiable as an EMS provider, be prepared to act should the defecation hit the air displacement device.

Which is a very good reason to not be identifiable :p I'd prefer to just be able to walk away

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
Typically the MA EMT patch is on the right shoulder, but I've seen it on the left on some services. The duty to act thing is only if you are on the clock in MA. I could be in my uniform before/after work and walk past an unresponsive person in a grocery store with no repercussions. Now the court of public opinion may think otherwise.

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
Here in Mass, normally the EMT patch is on the right shoulder.

Cataldo is the only exception I know of, they have it on the left... just like Armstrong likes to be the only service in Mass with a rear-side window.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Rule #1: The fewer people who know what you do for a living, the better when what you are trained to do might make you either look like a cold-hearted :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: (refusing to help) or put you at risk of legal repercutions, infection or other sorts of dangers.

Rule #2: If I'm off duty, I only intervene if I like the person in question or feel sorry for them. I don't care if it's my own brother (using him as an example of a waste of space) laying on the ground dying...I don't get involved unless I have to or have a good reason to do so.

I even warned my girlfriend when I started dating her that when I'm not at work, I don't provide medical care (unless one of the criteria previously mentioned is met) so she might find herself in a situation where I either get the hell out of there or stand idly by and just watch the ensuing debacle if I can't get away. She knows not to question my judgment calls on this sort of thing and has not the few times I've passed on offering aid since we started dating. That said, I will almost always render aid to an injured animal should I be able to get to it safely.

I've personally never understood why someone would wear a patch while off duty but there are a lot of screwballs in this field.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
Here in Mass, normally the EMT patch is on the right shoulder.

Cataldo is the only exception I know of, they have it on the left... just like Armstrong likes to be the only service in Mass with a rear-side window.

The last truck that was purchased with the side window was in late 2005. It cost extra to have that put in, but that is being done away with for privacy and cost.

Lifeline and Trinity have them too, but the Lifeline trucks that have them used to be Trinity trucks. I know there is one more company that has the sid window, but it is slipping my mind.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Rear side window? The window on the door or the window behind the bench seat on type 3s?

dmc2007

Forum Captain
Rear side window? The window on the door or the window behind the bench seat on type 3s?

Picture the window mounted above the bench seat in a box, but mounted on a Type II instead.