Lymphoma Question

m33kr0b

Forum Crew Member
Has anyone here ever had Hodgkins Lymphoma? If so how did it effect your ability to work in ems during your treatments? If you had to stop working how long into treatments did were you able to work and how long did it take for you to return to working. The reason I am asking is that I got a biopsy yesterday on 2 lymph nodes and the radiologist said that it looked like hodgkins. I just wanted to know if the biopsy comes back positive if i would have to put my new ems career on hold and how long I would have to wait to get started. I know that treatment times will very and they different people respond to the treatment differently, I just want to hear from someone who has been through it and knows.

Thanks,
Josh

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I am sorry to hear about you possible illness. I hope it comes back negative. I am not sure how your treatments will affect you but I doubt you will be in EMS until its resolved.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a sister in law who was diagnosed with Hodgkins 20 some years ago. I know treatment has changed quite a bit during the time she has been managing her illness. Hodgkins is very treatable though you may have to take some time off here and there to deal with the effects of your treatment. I can't remember my sister in law ever being incapacitated for more than a few weeks to a month at a time. But, there are different types of Hodgkins. Talk to your oncologist about sources for information and support. Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center in Seattle is an awesome resource.

OP
OP
m33kr0b

m33kr0b

Forum Crew Member
It is official. 12 days into having my EMT license, and I have lymphoma. They were not able to type it as hodgkins or non hodgkins(yay excision biopsy). I am doing well even though I am a little bummed that this is going to prevent me from working as an emt and will likely delay my starting medic school.

jmaccauley

Forum Lieutenant
Take this for what it's worth. I was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma 8 years ago. I am an active police officer, defensive tactics trainer and run a personal protection company. With the proper diet, treatment and, most important, positive attitude, there is no reason to not be able to do your job. Hang in there, stay close to your oncologist/hemotologist. Keep getting your blood checked and try not to sit on the area where they do the bone marrow biopsy (It stays sore for days) You can function without many of your lymph nodes, so don't worry until it's time worry.

jmaccauley

Forum Lieutenant
I took a chemo pill for a few days until I *****ed about it making me sick. They stopped it and now I inject myself weekly with procrit and so far, so good.

OP
OP
m33kr0b

m33kr0b

Forum Crew Member
Just an update. A lot has happened since my last post on this topic. I have been diagnosed with Stage III Difuse Large B Cell High Grade Lymphoma which is a more agressive lymphoma then most. Pretty much it looks like i will have to delay medic school and working in ems for 6-12 months. If you want the full story, my girlfriend is helping me out by doing a blog with updates since I have found it to be difficult to sit down and put words on the screen. The blog is located at http://joshcancer.blogspot.com/ . Amy is plannning on updating it every step of the way until I am done with this thing. I appreciate all the support that I have received from my family and my friends through this whole ordeal.

Thanks,
Josh

OP
OP
m33kr0b

m33kr0b

Forum Crew Member
Update

Just an update. After months of treatment I am officially in remission. On November 16th I received my last chemo treatment and am currently working on my recovery. I am looking at applying for EMT jobs shortly after the holiday season. I found that with a positive outlook the chemo was not half as bad as I was expecting. Thanks to everyone for their prayers and well wishes.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Congrat's on your remission! Prayers and wishes are with you this coming new year!

R/r 911

Epi-do

I see dead people
Congrats on the remission! My mother-in-law has her scan this week after completing what was hopefully her last round of chemo the other week. She has an appt to get her results on 12/27.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Congratulations! I love it when the good guys win!

jmaccauley

Forum Lieutenant
I know that it's hard facing the prospect of having any type of cancer (I also have non-hodgkins large T cell lymphoma). Congratulations on the remission!! Do not, I repeat, do not ever let a scary diagnosis prevent you from planning your future. Know that you will be around to fulfill your dreams and that any illness is just a distraction.