Looking to move out of state

wijjiam

Forum Probie
Im a student and i live in WA im looking to move to NY after ive worked as a EMT B for a year. They make us get NRENT as of 2010. they dont require the NREMT In NY. my qustion is what do i need too do to work out there

tekken1096

Forum Probie
While am not an EMT-B in NY, I will try to answer this as accurate as possible based on the information available from New York State - Department of Health on Reciprocity. The link for this can be found here: http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/certification/reciprocity.htm

After the standard requirements of being Age 18 and over and having no misdemeanor or felony convictions, they require that you possess your current State's certification in EMT-B. Complete the app, include your state EMT-B certification, CPR card and pay the $25 fee and you're done.

If you possess NREMT certification but NOT your state certification, you may be eligible to take their state refresher course in which if you pass, you'll obtain NY certification valid for 36 months.

I hope this helps.

-Chris

Mloper

Forum Probie
Why Move

Washington especially King County has a badass EMS system. Why would you want to move away from that? I am down in Southern California and I want to become a EMT-P up in Seattle. Is it tough getting work up there?

lampnyter

Forum Captain
NY city, or just the state in general. because im pretty sure if you go to the city, you have to take a class specific to working in NYC

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Washington especially King County has a badass EMS system. Why would you want to move away from that? I am down in Southern California and I want to become a EMT-P up in Seattle. Is it tough getting work up there?
Goodluck buddy,
AMR is the primary 911 transport and they are BLS only, no Paramedics. If you plan on getting on medic 1 as a Paramedic get in line with the thousands of other guys every year and also realize your current Paramedic cert means nothing to them, your going to have to take there Paramedic program completely over from scratch.
Bad *** EMS system? Why do you think this?

PS: the above was regarding Seattle

Last edited by a moderator:

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
NY city, or just the state in general. because im pretty sure if you go to the city, you have to take a class specific to working in NYC

If you are talking about REMAC, I think that is for Paramedics only... not sure on that though

Mloper

Forum Probie
The Paramedics have a much more advanced scope of practice up there as opposed to down in San Diego. I was talking to a medic who told me there are about 30 more drugs they can push compared to medics down in San Diego.

Mloper

Forum Probie
Also I am a little biased, I was born in Oregon and then moved to Washington. My dad was a project manager for Physio Control and developed the Lifepack 500 and the lifepack 12 so I grew up visiting different fire stations all around king county and met a lot of medics. It was a fun time but regardless I want to eventually get back up to either Portland or Seattle, both are great cities.