Looking for the future

EMTelite

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys Just thought i would ask... I am getting ready to go into paramedic school and I am really wanting to get a bit of a head start on the material aka learning atleast reading 12 lead maybe a little bit about intubation etc... does anyone have any good sources that they maybe used before going to paramedic school either book or website i would greatly appreciate it

Thanks guys and gals

:ph34r:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Just to to class, as learning it outside of medic school can be more detrimental than helpful, to both you and patients.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Be sure to learn the material in-depth and anatomy before jumping ahead. This will keep you busy enough until your ready to go forward.

medic417

The Truth Provider
A complete course of A&P 1&2 will make EKG's, drugs, and really all skills much easier as you will understand how the body works.

OP
OP
EMTelite

EMTelite

Forum Lieutenant
ok

Ok thanks guys :):ph34r:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
A&P, and Rapid Interpretation of EKG's by Dr. Dale Dubin, it's like EKG's for dummies.

medic417

The Truth Provider
A&P, and Rapid Interpretation of EKG's by Dr. Dale Dubin, it's like EKG's for dummies.

Dale Dubins is excellent book but get A&P first.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
EKG 12, 15, 18 lead or whatever means nothing unless you understand the pathophysiology associated with it. Again a good A & P and if that is not enough, look Guyton's physiology.
R/r 911

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I second the A&P recommendations.

But really...if you want a head start, just read your textbooks (find out names & buy them early). It'll free up a lot of your time during school. You either won't have to re-read certain parts or your reading will go faster. You'll also have more context for all the stuff mentioned in class, which will result in better understanding and retention.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Other than obtaining a scientific foundation, as with A&P, Pathophys, Psychology, Sociology, Algebra, Chemistry, Physics, etc..., there is no sound method of getting a "head start" on paramedic school. Reading through the textbook before starting the class is useless. Learning IVs or EKGs before getting a foudation is useless, and as already pointed out, often counterproductive. The college courses are your best bet.

As for self-directed study, there are only two things that I recommend. First, get a self-study Medical Terminology workbook. Devote an hour or two a day to working through it. When you're done, go back and do it again. It will help you more than any other thing you can do by yourself. Second, get the Anatomy coloring book and a box of colored pencils and work through it. All of it. Don't just skip around to the pictures you think are cool. Work through ALL of it. You'll start class knowing more about anatomy than anyone in the class who hasn't taken A&P.

The Dubin EKG book is excellent, and you should definitely purchase it and work through it just before your class starts the cardiology segment. It is not particularly advisable to do that before the class itself starts though. Resist the temptation to focus on "cool" stuff like EKGs. You'll learn those when it is time. Until then, work on establishing a foundation.

OP
OP
EMTelite

EMTelite

Forum Lieutenant
Honestly, thank you guys i am going to get right on that A&P class as well as getting some of those books that you guys mentioned coloring books etc.

Again thanks guys :)

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I agree with everyone else about getting a good foundation in the sciences and you'll be miles ahead. The only other thing I could say is go back to your EMT-B textbook and read it again, then go in the field and work as an EMT-B. I'm not saying that EMT-B experience is essential to being a paramedic but you will never be a good medic if you're not a great basic first. All the fun skills we get to do as medics come from a good assessment which is a basic skill.

OP
OP
EMTelite

EMTelite

Forum Lieutenant
Actually out here in California almost all schools require atleast 2000 hrs of work as an EMT-B before you can enter the class as well as an A&P class.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Reading through the textbook before starting the class is useless.
Hows so?
Not saying studying the other basic courses isn't useful, but how is reading the paramedic texts not useful. If you have a big picture view of the course, it will help assimilate everything else you learn. And that's the material you're going to be expected to know well. Why not start studying it now?

medic417

The Truth Provider
I'm not saying that EMT-B experience is essential to being a paramedic but you will never be a good medic if you're not a great basic first.

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I will avoid beating that dead horse anymore.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I'm not saying that EMT-B experience is essential to being a paramedic but you will never be a good medic if you're not a great basic first. All the fun skills we get to do as medics come from a good assessment which is a basic skill.

1. There is a huge difference between the assessment an EMT-B can do and what a Paramedic can do. Assessment is a basic skill but not to be confused with the "Basic" as in EMT-Basic.

2. Many "good" EMTs fail to go on to be Paramedics because they are afraid of leaving their comfort zones. They are usually the ones that have all the excuses for not getting more education and wear the t-shirts saying they save Paramedics.

Or,

3. Those "good" EMTs that do go on to be Paramedics are still dwelling on "BLS" ways and can not advance their thinking as clinicians.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
A properly educated EMT basic can do almost the exact same assessment as a medic. The only assessment tool I can think of that most basics can't use would be an ECG. Just because you can't fix a particular problem doesn't mean you shouldn't have a good understanding of what's going on and why. I said assessment is a basic skill meaning that an EMT- Basic can perform a fantastic assessment. I disagree with your definition of the assessment being a basic skill, performing a thorough and complete assessment is actually a fairly advanced skill that sadly is still broken down into cookbook format even at the paramedic level.

And for medic417, I went straight to medic school before getting any experience as a basic, not trying to bring up that argument because I agree with your viewpoint however BLS is the foundation of ALS building a mansion on a half arsed foundation will not last. Yes medic schools will build on the BLS skills and you will get a chance to practice them during clinicals but it will be an easier transition if you review your basic skills and polish them off before hand. And by polish them off I don't mean go out and do a half way job as a basic, do it by the book, get effective and efficient at it and you will be fine. No bad habits otherwise you're wasting your time.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
A properly educated EMT basic can do almost the exact same assessment as a medic. The only assessment tool I can think of that most basics can't use would be an ECG. Just because you can't fix a particular problem doesn't mean you shouldn't have a good understanding of what's going on and why. I said assessment is a basic skill meaning that an EMT- Basic can perform a fantastic assessment. I disagree with your definition of the assessment being a basic skill, performing a thorough and complete assessment is actually a fairly advanced skill that sadly is still broken down into cookbook format even at the paramedic level.

Oh of course, you mean assess like taking a BP, RR and HR? Maybe listen for breath sounds?

If you don't know at least some of the differientials or what you are even looking as, you are not doing an "advanced" assessment?

Again, you are only looking at SKILLS and not the knowledge that goes with an assessment. If an EMT-B had the same education as a Paramedic or any other healthcare provider, they would understand this.

Doctors, Paramedics, Nurses, RRTs, PTs, and OTs also have the basic skill of assessing a patient. Writing a report is also a required basic tool as is communication. This is expected of them at their level of training. An EMT-B (U.S) identifies certain life threatening problems, provides what little support then can and either goes to the hospital quickly or meets a Paramedic to accompany them. What you write on a patient report will not be held to the same level as an RN or Paramedic.

Once you get into Paramedic school, you will understand the difference. Right now you are only going by the skills you can see and do not see the thought process behind the skills by the advanced provider.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually lung sounds are NOT even part of the Basic EMT curriculum. I am doubtful most basics can differentiate between adventitious breath sounds in a clinical setting.

Let's not confuse that EMT's are taught a thorough assessment. Even the Paramedic level is very lacking. Where I teach, we add another 4-6 weeks of assessment skills, including in-depth neuro examination, the proper usage of oto & ophthalmoscopes and the usual clinical medical examination techniques of R.O.M., palpation, auscultation techniques including heart sounds/ tones.

Most always attempt to disregard that one "will never use this" in the prehospital setting, only demonstrating their ignorance. Very few times an ER physician may perform a Rhines or Weber's test but if the case arrives does know how to and understands the findings.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator: