Looking at Moving to Texas

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Well, the Oklahoma experiment has effectively ended, and there's really no other worthwhile jobs in the area (barring Saint Anthony's or Mercy or Midwest City coming through), and the offer I got from the good folks at Woodward County is nice, but doesn't quite justify the time spent out there (14.21x16 with 8 uncompensated hours of sleep time, +$100 for a mandatory recall day, overtime if you get called on an hour-for-hour basis...not ideal).

I'm contemplating moving to San Antonio, DFW or the nebulous "East Texas" area. Preference to San Antonio- area.

Criteria: Pay above $37,000 a year. Needs to be hour-for-hour, ideally, none of that "sleep time" garbage either. Ideally, no nearly-uncompensated recall days (that's a thing here). No odd overtime policies. Good equipment, fancy vents, CCT potential a plus. Doesn't have to be 911.

So far, I've narrowed the list to:
Acadian
Champion
ETMC
AMR (what do they do down there?)
?
Unknown other

Your thoughts and opinions are very appreciated.

medicmanschwanee

Forum Ride Along
Check out Allegiance and Medstar. I have worked for Medstar and ETMC and neither were horrible. I am leaving my current job as a offshore medic and start at Allegiance in November.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Refresh my memory, you were with EMSA correct?

You may want to look at AMR Frio County if that's the case. 911, decent volume, meets your salary requirement and then some, paid the full shift, and plenty of available OT opportunity in San Antonio. Plus you retain a portion of your seniority.

Acadian pays well, they are still offering one hell of a sign on bonus for East Texas, can't recall if it's $7.5k or $10k.

Etmc pay is on the low side as is Champion, but still doable.

Don't overlook Houston! Some of the best EMS agencies around, several with salaries starting above $50k with awesome benefits.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

I was with EMSA. AMR Frio could be doable.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

krtemt

Forum Crew Member
Sorry late to this thread. AMR San Antonio( includes Frio, Ft. Sam Houston, Castroville, and IFT) good company, good management, and good people in San Antonio. We have CCT medics, Frio is fun, very busy at times. Monday they landed 5 helicopters before 1300. if you need contact info just message me and I can point you in the right direction.

Angel

Paramedic
Sorry late to this thread. AMR San Antonio( includes Frio, Ft. Sam Houston, Castroville, and IFT) good company, good management, and good people in San Antonio. We have CCT medics, Frio is fun, very busy at times. Monday they landed 5 helicopters before 1300. if you need contact info just message me and I can point you in the right direction.

i do about frio...is it full time starting out? or the typical amr, part time but can pick up shifts. and do you guys have to fly a lot out? also is pay good enough to make a decent living in the area? is fire ALS? or BLS?

krtemt

Forum Crew Member
Its a full time spot. Pay is DOE, I do know that they are offering a 2500 dollar sign on bonus. Fire is nothing right now, although they are trying to get first responder status. If you would like I will get with the supervisor for the county and if she is cool with it I will send you her number.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

DOE like "minimum wage" or "lower-middle-class?"

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I believe they're around $15/hr. Maybe up to $16ish with a few years experience. From what I'm told, they pay slightly less than Acadian does down here.

krtemt

Forum Crew Member
Sorry for the delay. DOE-Depending on Experience. STX Medic is right brand new medics start out at 15-16 an hour. Management is working on an overall raise for everyone that will take us up to the acadian level.